My local paper published an AP article on SACD and DVD-Audio. Link inside.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 5, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Much to my surprise, my local paper (The News Journal in Delaware) published an AP article on SACD and DVD-Audio in today's paper (Tuesday, November 5th). I also found the article on the newspaper's web site. Here is the link:
    http://www.delawareonline.com/newsjo...cformatsp.html
    It's a basic article, but it's not bad. It's a good article for the newbie, who is, of course, the target audience. I am very glad to see this sort of attention paid to the two high-resolution formats. The print article had a nice figure illustrating how a DVD-Audio disc and a CD differ in construction and how a DVD-Audio disc is read by the laser. In addition, the graphic showed a basic illustration of how the longer wordlength and greater sampling frequency of DVD-Audio relative to CD allow DVD-Audio to better match an analog waveform. Finally, the graphic illustrated a 5.1 surround-sound set-up. Unfortunately, this graphic is not included on the web site. In any event, I am hopeful that these sorts of articles will grab the "average reader's" attention.

2. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I was going to post about the same thing I read in the News Journal as well today. A very basic intro to Hi-res but good nonetheless. Getting information about DVD-A and SACD in the mass media cannot do either format harm, but only help.

J

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin, agreed. The more of these articles, the better. Hopefully people are reading these articles and actually care.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

The SJ Mercury News also did a story a few days ago.

Unfortunately, they quoted from a snobby high end audio store in Palo Alto, and some other Bay Area hi fi users group, that they all were "staying on the sidelines" until a universal digital connection was around. Stupid. How long did the lp exist with just analog RCA connections? 'Course, it's their loss in the meantime.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, I can see the average reader's response to the article you referred to. "Huh?" [​IMG]

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    They have newspapers in Dela-where? [​IMG]
    Just kidding of course.
    Thanks for posting Keith. [​IMG]
    Once again, I notice that they are way off on title count. Figure about 900 SACDs currently, twice the 450 number mentioned. The NY Times also made this mistake. What happened to basic fact-checking?

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, newspapers in Delaware come on stone tablets. Thankfully, the staff have excellent chiselmanship. [​IMG]