What's new

My local Hollywood Video, fighting the good (WS) fight. (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Last night I stopped by my local Hollywood Video and rented;
1. Zoolander
2. Ocean's Eleven
3. Serendipity
All Widescreen. So, I decided to walk up to the store manager and thank her for stocking all widescreen DVDs. She responded by saying "it makes most customers mad", she added, "they get very angry over those black bars." I said, well thank you anyway.
She then replied. "I, just yesterday, received a shipment of 3,000 DVDs, all Widescreen". I expressed my joy and told her that she has my business from now on.
Peace Out~:D

Will K

Screenwriter
I'm glad you're having a better experience with your Hollywood Video. I stopped going after I complained about pan-and-scan DVD's and the manager told me "it didn't matter."

John Bryant

Second Unit
Out of the three you mentioned, only Ocean's 11 is available in a seperate pan and scan release. This movie, as well as Spy Game, AI and others truly tell how committed they are to OAR.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Didn't know that John. I'm just happy she is ordering up the WS DVDs from the ones that offer both WS and PnS.
Peace Out~:D

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
My local Hollywood Video has consistently been stocking WS versions of dual releases for some time now. They briefly practiced the P&S only practice, but The Mummy Returns was the last movie they got strictly in the MAR format.

I too have expressed my satisfaction with their decisions.

Now my local Blockbuster is a totally different story...

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Gee, everyone bashing on Blockbuster. My local Blockbuster has ONLY WIDESCREEN releases of Ocean's 11, Spy Game, and A.I. as well. I could only find 3 releases (JP3, Mummy Returns, Cats and Dogs) that were only available in MAR format. Let me know which version of Harry Potter Hollywood gets and then I might try driving the extra 10 minutes to Hollywood video. Until then I'm very satisfied with BB.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
My local HV seems to be only stocking widescreen movies as well. The manager there is a movie fanatic like me. I've thanked them for only stocking widescreen (the last pan-n-scam movie they stocked was Cats and Dogs, and I was told that it was a mistake!).

Matt

Christopher Cheadle

Stunt Coordinator
To be fair, I was out and about this afternoon and decided to stop by Blockbuster to check out their DVDs. Well, lo and behold, WS copies of AI, Spy Game and Ocean's 11. I stand corrected. Honestly, I had stopped going there some time ago because of their DVD stocking habits.

In case anyone from BB is reading, thank you for the recent stocking and decisions and keep up the good work.

It is beginning to look like the WS vs. P&S trend at the rental outlets has begun to swing our way. Now, if only we could get the retailers to follow suit.

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
My local HV is prety good about stocking WS, so they get my business. I don't know who's responsible for ordering but I will thank the manager next time I'm in.

AndrewG

Grip
I wanted to write in as well. This week and last I had rented AI, Spy Game, and Ocean's Eleven. Recently on this and other forums there has been a lot of talk regarding Hollywood Video going to P&S when available. These three were available only in WS (OAR). I haven't been to my local Blockbuster in a long time because of their behaviour with Mummy Returns, but with these recent comments I will have to check it out.

That said, when I went to the Hollywood Video to rent Ocean's 11 I made a point of commenting on how I appreciated the OAR releases of the movies being available. We should all let our local stores know when they are doing a good job. this is one way to fight the recent trend / scare toward P&S releases.

Andy

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
My Hollywood Video just got in a whole bunch of new stock. I just rented Samurai 1,2, & 3, and Seven Samurai! WooHoo. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

John Bryant

Second Unit
Both Blockbuster and HV in this area now stock only widescreen versions of films such as Ocean's 11, etc.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
Just talked to the manager at my local Blockbuster here in Orlando, FL. It turns out that they will be carrying only the WIDESCREEN version of Harry Potter for rental. They will stock both the pan+scan and the widescreen versions for sale, but as for rental, letterbox only. I was worried I was going to have to buy this one, but now I can rent it. WOOHOO!

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I stopped by my local Blockbuster this weekend.....in the DVD sales section I could not find a Fullscreen copy of AI, Spy Game or Oceans 11....all they had was Widescreen....and that did include the Pre-viewed for sale DVD's as well.

Also, they have started to drop their prices to be more in line with the rest of the business.

On my way out I offered my thanks for stocking widescreen and they appreciated the feedback.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My local Hollywood Video has consistently been stocking WS versions of dual releases for some time now. They briefly practiced the P&S only practice, but The Mummy Returns was the last movie they got strictly in the MAR format.
Same here. Unfortuneately, the stickers cover the 'Wide' or 'Full' part of universal DVDs on the bottom, so I ended up renting the Mummy Returns in P&S. Blah. Fortuneately, now I don't have to scrutinize the back to find out weither it's widescreen or not.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
My local Hollywood Video has their shelves all messed up. 6-8 shelves of tapes are gone and DVD's are tossed on haphazard. When I took a closer look, I noticed several Criterion Samuari titles, some Japanese Anime, etc. The had just received 15 cases of assorted new titles. They are back-filling catalog titles to become 40% DVD 60% tape according to one employee.

I just wish I had the time to dive into the titles and show my appreciation with my $$. (I'm 2 weeks behind on Six Feet Under, Enterprise, etc.).

Hollywood Video is becoming one of my favorite stores.

Jerry AZ

Stunt Coordinator
My local Hollywood Video has their shelves all messed up. 6-8 shelves of tapes are gone and DVD's are tossed on haphazard. When I took a closer look, I noticed several Criterion Samuari titles, some Japanese Anime, etc. The had just received 15 cases of assorted new titles. They are back-filling catalog titles to become 40% DVD 60% tape according to one employee
Looks like the same thing my store went through. They have a whole bunch of Criterions now, and lots of other titles. :)

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
They're getting up to speed with WS titles, but what about their record of renting damaged discs? I seem to get about 2/3 of my rentals that are damaged to the point of causing freeze ups. Has anyone else had this problem at HV? Hope this isn't too far off topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks