What's new

My local dealer is talking down the VPL-HS10. Does he speak the truth? (1 Viewer)

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
Like many others, the Sony VPL-HS10 has really piqued my interest. This year looks like the year I finally "pull the trigger" on a projector, and this looks like a real contender. Especially considering my rather modest budget. (The Panasonic PT-L300U isn't even in consideration, considering the bad experience I've had with the brand in the past.)

My favorite HT dealer (whose name shall remain… er… nameless), is a designated Sony dealer, so I thought I'd stop by for a demo on my day off. When I did, a salesman I'd never met before told me he had one at home… BUT they didn't have one on display in a showroom.

He went on to say how awful the screen door was, how dead pixels were inevitable, and how the blacks were nonexistent. He then whooshed me in to see an unremarkable low-end Runco DLP unit.

My question is, if the Sony PJ is so godawful, why does he own one? And more importantly, why don't they let me make that decision for myself?

JasonGarrett

Agent
HS10s are backordered pretty much everywhere. He wants to sell you something that he has in stock.

Screen door is not an issue at all. Dead pixels are rare, and if you do get one they're tiny. Black level is the HS10's biggest weakness, but even that is far from awful.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I concur with that. Go somewhere else and demo the HS10 with some of your favourite material. You should demo before deciding yo buy anyway.

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
that's why they call them salesmen. The HS10 isn't in stock anywhere, and he wants a sale so he can eat!!

I've had mine on order since 1/24/03. No word on when I'll get it, could be next week, could be another 2 months, no one can tell me.

Sucks..

Btw, I've seen it at two home theater stores, and it is a great projector for the money. The best bang/buck according to the Widescreen Review article, which should be MUCH higher on your radar than any sales puke at a local B&M who probably knows less than you do about the projector...

Users who are viewing this thread