My local Best Buy is liquidating most of its VHS to make more room for DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Aug 21, 2001.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yep, you read that header right!
    I picked up a few things at Best Buy today...Hannibal for $16.99, a title that isn't supposed to be released until next week that will go nameless to protect the guilty, and DVD Essentials for just $27.99 (yep, I know that many of you got it for just $15 online recently, but this is still really good and I have it *now*).
    A lady (who also heard me out on the Wonka thing and was impressed by our grass roots campaign here on HTF, and will spread the word on her end) was clearing off an entire side of an aisle of VHS tapes.
    I jokingly asked her, "making room for more DVDs?". "Yes", she replied! She said that they are "getting rid of almost all" of their VHS inventory, because DVD is selling so well and they want to expand their inventory to include more backlog DVD titles.
    I'm impressed. I've bought between a third and one half of my 750+ disc collection at the Best Buy stores in town. They have just earned yet more of my business, on principle alone! This is a major reason to realize just how fully DVD is taking over the market.
    Now if we can just get an OAR commitment on family titles from certain studios...
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    My 3-year-old enjoying Superman - The Movie in widescreen:
    [​IMG]
    (Some of my DVD's are to the left side of the picture)

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

yeah... I know what you mean... I went to Best Buy today and it blew my mind that they had Seven Samurai: Criterion Collection in stock! My Best Buy has about 6 rows of DVDs and 2 of VHS and it keeps getting smaller and smaller every year... I have heard that something in the ballpark of 80% of Best Buy's revenues are from DVD alone (from the USA Today -Money Section)... pretty amazing what this little format has turned into [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Also, Hannibal was selling like it is going out of style at Best Buy...
    ------------------
    Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
    The DVD Insider Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

The local Best Buy doesn't even have dedicated VHS aisles anymore. The small amount of VHS they carry is mixed in with the DVDs.

5. Sarah S

Sarah S Second Unit

It not just Best Buy either; one of my friends was complaining recently that she couldn't find hardly any VHS at Suncoast, of all places.

6. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Looks like VHS nows stands for..Videos Hardly Sold
    My Best Buy is doing the same thing..out with the old and in with the new!
    ------------------

7. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

Hannibal isn't going to be released until next week? Hmm... I was at FYE today and saw the DVD on sale.

8. Andrea W

Andrea W Supporting Actor

Hannibal was released today (8/21). David was listing titles he bought: Hannibal AND a title that wasn't supposed to street until next week AND Video Essentials.
    ------------------
    http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

9. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

We at Best Buy are going 80% DVD during our fall reset. That means it will vary by store, but after the remodels count on that being so. Since our acquisition of the Musicland Group (including Suncoast) our DVD selection has gotten much better. Hell, I picked up 3 discs there I thought I would never get at a Best Buy. Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, and Last Temptation of Christ. All 3 are Criterion, 2 of which are Kurosawa movies and are rather obscure. Count on us being a retail leader with a selection everyone will enjoy. Apparently, this is gonna keep going this way. There are other titles, especially Region All import Kung Fu titles arriving. I have pretty much seen all the in print Criterions in our store at least.

10. James Reyes

James Reyes Stunt Coordinator

Oh, I didn't read his post carefully. [​IMG]

11. Dave L

Dave L Stunt Coordinator

This probably signals the beginning of the end, which seems to be coming much faster than anticipated. Having seen these "blowouts" on Beta and CED in the past and then on LDs only a couple years ago, it's an indication that the format is fading fast. Seems to be a repeat of how LPs were phased out by CDs very quickly. Soon, VHS will only be available via mailorder or from TV commercials like those that still offer song collections on 8-track, cassette, and LP.

12. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I was at a Best Buy over the weekend and boy was I impressed. They had two DVD's that I couldn't find anywhere else. I'll be going back.
    -Andre
    ------------------
    -= Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape! =-

13. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

14. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Best Buy has a vested in moving to DVD. As has been discussed in MANY threads previous, retailers need to bring J6P into the fold (resulting in ugliness such as fullscreen transfers, etc). When J6P sees his VHS tapes are gone, this mobilizes J6P into buying a DVD player. Once the DVD player is installed, we all know what happens after that. Recevier, speakers, cables, etc. This creates the razor and razor blades effect. BB makes its REAL money off of media and cables.
    Retailers want to ride this baby and I expect to see DVD go nuts this Xmas, as if last Xmas wasn't big already.
    Not to mention, those tapes are just so big and clumsy. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Patrick Larkin on August 22, 2001 at 08:47 AM]

15. Ben Tallen

Ben Tallen Agent

Best Buy is dangerous! My girlfriend and I were recently given a $20 gift card for BB from our friends and we went in yesterday to buy The Goonies. We got there and The Goonies was already sold out [​IMG] but we still ended up using the card and buying an additional $50 worth of DVDs! [​IMG]
    Hopefully the good sales of the Goonies will get the message across to Warner that Wider truly is Better.
    Ben Tallen
    ------------------
    "The Mob is run by murdering, thieving, lying, cheating psychopaths. We work for the President of the United States of America."

16. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I was at my local BB last Friday afternoon (hardly peak shopping time), and there were at least 8-10 people in the DVD aisles, and each one had at least a DVD or two in their hands. Several people had 5 or more DVDs they were purchasing. But there was NOBODY in the VHS aisles. It seems to be that way every time I go there, which is probably about once a week. I was thinking that it won't be too long before pre-recorded VHS is not available there, just as you can't buy pre-recorded cassettes there now. I thought it might be a year or two, but now it looks like it may be sooner than that.
    Although I'm delighted with the popularity of DVD, I think it's a mixed blessing. If the average person is almost forced into DVD because VHS is less readily available, they may gripe even louder about the lack of P&S versions of films. At least now the J6P's of the world that have adopted DVD have done so by choice (even if they don't know much about the format), but if more people get into DVD because nothing else is available, we may hear even more complaints about widescreen.
    Other than that, the amazing popularity of DVD is good for everybody. More hardware will be sold; more titles will be made available, etc. Let's hope the studios don't completely cave in to the inevitable demands for P&S.
    Steve K.

17. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina
    Well, well, well. This VHS tape downsizing by Best Buy is a very interesting thing to read.
    With this, my potential for heading out to the Best Buy in a county outside of mine, which has always treated me with far more respect and top-flight customer service than the one in my own county (and not too far from where I live), has just increased. (I was forced to go to that other BB when the one in my county did not have the SE of Shakesphere In Love last winter. It was a trip I made gladly, though. And would again in a nutshell!!! [​IMG] )
    This is good. Then may there be more discounted prices offered with a larger variety. And I had not been back inside of a Suncoast since being insulted as an early DVD advocate in March 1999 because the salesperson thought I had meant to get a VHS tape and had a DVD in my hand instead--as intended!!!!!
    And coincidentally, BB is not the only one doing away with VHS tapes in large numbers: I am giving away boxes of them this afternoon to all passerby takers. [​IMG]
    How serendipitous. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

18. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    this is a mixed blessing, it's great DVD is taking off but the problem is J6P will eventually demand P&S I just hope he doesn't get his way.
    -Keith-

19. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Definitely don't like the Hannibal/SOTL P&S editions in the spread out in the new release section, ...
    but finally I don't have to search behind everything to find what I'm looking for. The selection is still the same, but spread over 2 complete rows is much more pleasing.
    Maybe someday I'll find that copy of 12 Angry Men I haven't seen there yet. Zardoz isn't available at Best Buy either, However, I recently ordered my MSRP 124.99 [​IMG] copy from 800.com to support Fox. (Check the price check for a good laugh)