What's new

My "Live Aid" idea :) (1 Viewer)

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
During a drunken conversation with my mates we started talking about how bad the music industry is today. A few minutes later we started talking about Live Aid and how the 80's will probaly be the last decent decade for popular music (early 90's were good but not a great decade on the whole :frowning: )
Anyways i mentioned how great it would be if one day there was a Live Aid DVD boxset avialable. I was only three when it was shown and i've always wanted to see it. Now before someone jumps in and says it will never happen due to copyright i'd like to say my piece.

LIVE AID 85: Collectors Edition Boxset. (6 discs)

This set would feature the best of both the US and UK broadcasts. It would feature archive interviews and new retropective interviews. It would also include a documentary on how the money was spent. Basically it would give us a very big taste of the whole experiance. Profits from the DVD would go to the Band Aid Trust fund which is still in existence. I would expect the company involved to keep a share to cover, DVD authoring, production etc. This would be a Region 0 release as it would sell worldwide. I reckon it would sell a few million worldwide so there would be lots of money going to a good cause.

I know all the artists only agreed to do the show for free back in the day but if Bob Geldof perhaps approached the DVD in the same way as the concert then i'm sure mayby it coluld happen. remember its not a 100% commercial venture. Most of the proceeds would go to charity and the legend of the event would be preserved on DVD for future generations.
I'm contacting the BBC tommorow and get a contact for the Band Aid trust. Then i'll tell them my idea. I'm sure they've thought of it 100 times before but i'd like to find out if theres anyway it could happen.

July 13th 2005 is the 20th Aniversary. That gives us two years! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i had every second of live aid on tape. betamax.

including everything that was only on radio.

lost all of it when hurricane floyd wiped out most of everything we owned a few years ago.

one thing i remember about the evening when abc took over the broadcast.
at about 8 pm eastern dick clark comes on and points to the stage from about what looked like a mile away and said look down there that is the historic first reunion of led zeppilin in 6 years.
then he continued to talk and they never put the footage on.

and i just was screaming at the tv, well why arent you showing it?
i never understood that.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I remember that day all too well. I managed to get 14 hours of the Live Aid concerts recorded from both the local Fox affiliate (they aired 11 hours of the concert) and the 3-hour ABC broadcast. All in EP mode. They're really going to have to go all out to get it done in a presentation that will look and sound great. And as Jeff mentioned, the rights alone are a nightmare because of all the many artists involved. Maybe we'll see it for the 20th anniversary of the concert?

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I watched the whole thing, and had taped most of it, but that all got taped over a long long time ago.

I don't think I would buy it, but I'd probably rent it and watch the highlights.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I had it all, and gave it to a relative after hearing a rumor that it was being released officially.. I believe in Canada we had the BBC broadcast on Much Music, and it never cut away to ABC. They also showed everyone, as I remember the artists being staggered between the states and England.

I could be wrong though. It has been awhile.

I'd pick this up.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Well here you go guys. You buy me a DVD recorder and the discs to record it and i'll record them for you. :D Ive got the whole thing on tape. Didnt anybody else have MTV then?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I want Sunday Metal Day from the 83 US festival.Van Halen got a huge check for those days - 1 million for their performance.

I taped Live Aid when it was on all those years ago and STILL have the tapes. I freaked for the Black Sabbath and Led Zep reunions.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I'll settle for U2 and Queen from Wembley, which I taped during the broadcast. The tape is long gone, but I remember those performances as my favorites. And I want the goofy bits from Mark Goodman, Nina Blackwood and the others...

DanHaya

Second Unit
Count me in for wanting the whole thing! I've been kicking myself for the past 18 years for not taping it when it was on!

I'll only buy it if they put out the entire concert...that's why I've stayed away from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert DVD. Why only put out the highlights? Just release the whole damned thing...that's what people want!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'll only buy it if they put out the entire concert...that's why I've stayed away from the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert DVD. Why only put out the highlights? Just release the whole damned thing...that's what people want!
And you're not going to get that, because of how much it would cost, even IF they could get permissions from everyone. I'm sorry but unfortunately massive huge multiple-act concerts are just not the stuff that is very feasible on home video.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Unfortunately, you're right, Jeff. Just like we're not going to get classic tv shows like Miami Vice and WKRP in Cincinnati because of issues with music rights. It's a real shame...once again, the consumer gets screwed!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks