What's new

My Little Margie - Complete First Season on DVD! (1 Viewer)

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I just feel it won't sell enough to be profitable. But I have no idea how many they'd have to sell to make it a profitable undertaking. Does anyone know?

If it's much more than 100,000, for instance, I don't think they'll make a profit.

Now, it's clear I don't know what I'm talking about, but, hey, what difference does that make these days? I could be president!
Hi Joe ,
I know your a vintage TV fan like me , from your many posts . With many old shows like Life Of Riley , or The People's Choice , I'd guess it would take a miracle to get them released , But with My Little Margie there are acceptable masters , and a willing company , so it looks hopeful. Neil Brock seems very optimistic ! I'm looking forward to watching the complete run!

Last edited:

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Hi Joe ,
I know your a vintage TV fan like me , from your many posts . With many old shows like Life Of Riley , or The People's Choice , I'd guess it would take a miracle to get them released , But with My Little Margie there are acceptable masters , and a willing company , so it looks hopeful. Neil Brock seems very optimistic ! I'm looking forward to watching the complete run!

Hope it comes at a good price, too!

howard1908

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
howard hughes
Sorry for the bump, just watched the first season of My Little Margie and was just wondering when the rest of this series is going to be completed.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Has anyone heard anything about the rest of My Little Margie being released on DVD?

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
I said to someone today that now we're going to start saying things from the 1950s are seventy years ago. For instance, next year, "I Love Lucy" will be 70 years old. "My Little Margie" hits that mark in 2022.

In other words, I'm shocked we even had one release. If another one happens, fine, but there's no way I'd expect it. I've lately heard people as old as 50, when reminiscing about the "old days," not go back much before 1980! It's depressing.

And, ok, while I'm depressing myself, I hit that 70 mark in a month and a half, and it doesn't make me feel good to know that the percentage of people in the U.S. who are 70 or older is only 16.9%. Of course, that's still 55,000,000 people, so maybe there is a profitable market for this series from the very early days of television. If only 1% of them get it, that's over half a million sales!

However, I'd dread to see how many the first set sold. I bet it wasn't half a million.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I've lately heard people as old as 50, when reminiscing about the "old days," not go back much before 1980! It's depressing.
That's not unexpected. If you're turning 50 you were born in 1970 so would start remembering things you watched in ~1975. By then the TV landscape was quite different than us folk born in the 50s and early 60s enjoyed.

I'm about to turn 65. I saw hundreds, if not thousands, of movies from the 30s-60s on TV, newsreels from the 30s-50s, things like "The Passing Parade," all kinds of one and two reelers, movie serials, 50s TV shows in syndication (most of which had left syndication by the mid 60s), early TV shows created for syndication (The Lone Ranger, The Adventures of Superman, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and others), Saturday morning cartoons, and more.

Those born in 1970 rarely, if ever, saw all that on TV. They still had Saturday morning cartoons but it was quite different than what my generation had. Afternoon TV was reruns of mostly late 60s and 70s shows. Few stations ran old movies during the day - even on weekends (my favorite Saturday afternoon station had ended their 2-fer of Tarzan/Shirley Temple movies by then) relegating most of them to late night or, if you were lucky and had a 24hr station (we had one by then), overnight hours. IIRC, the few cable "superstations" didn't run those either.

My daughter just turned 40, my son is about to turn 38. The only show I absolutely know they've seen from the 50s is I Love Lucy - because it was in constant syndication when they were kids. The main ones my daughter remembers from the 60s are Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, and The Brady Bunch. Again, due to syndication in the early 80s. I doubt my son has seen any of those (he wasn't much of a TV watcher other than cartoons). There may be a few others but I'd guess it's more from hearing my wife and I talk about them on occasion rather than having seen them.

My daughter's kids know more about 50s/60s TV than she and her brother because I've exposed them to it via my collection (they live across the street - my son just moved closer to ~5 hours away instead of 12 - his kids'll rarely just sit and watch TV with me due to limited time). My oldest (16yo) grandson's favorite TV show of all time is I Love Lucy with Leave it to Beaver in his top 5. He also likes I Dream of Jeannie, The Partridge Family, and The Beverly Hillbillies. His oldest sister (13yo) loves The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (aka Moose & Squirrel), and likes The Beverly Hillbillies, and The Monkees. Their little sister (almost 8) loves Batman, The Jetsons, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Green Acres, They've not yet seen any My Little Margie and I really don't know if they'd enjoy it. That's partly due to 50s comedy shows mostly playing much differently than those from the 60s and later. I enjoy it very much, but I also saw it as a young child. It's one of my earliest TV watching memories. One of those shows that by the time I started remembering seeing it it was gone.

I really want more seasons from My Little Margie and several other comedies from the 50s. Like you, I'm surprised we got that one.

Last edited:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
That's not unexpected. If you're turning 50 you were born in 1970 so would start remembering things you watched in ~1975. By then the TV landscape was quite different than us folk born in the 50s, and early 60s, enjoyed.

I'm about to turn 65. I saw hundreds, if not thousands, of movies from the 30s-60s on TV, newsreels from the 30s-50s, things like "The Passing Parade," all kinds of one and two reelers, movie serials, 50s TV shows in syndication (most of which had left syndication by the mid 60s), early TV shows created for syndication (The Lone Ranger, The Adventures of Superman, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and others), Saturday morning cartoons, and more.

Those born in 1970 rarely, if ever, saw all that on TV. They still had Saturday morning cartoons but it was quite different than what my generation had. Afternoon TV was reruns of mostly late 60s and 70s shows. Few stations ran old movies during the day - even on weekends (my favorite Saturday afternoon station had ended their 2-fer of Tarzan/Shirley Temple movies by then) relegating most of them to late night or, if you were lucky and had a 24hr station (we had one by then), overnight hours. IIRC, the few cable "superstations" didn't run those either.

My daughter just turned 40, my son is about to turn 38. The only show I absolutely know they've seen from the 50s is I Love Lucy - because it was in constant syndication when they were kids. The main ones my daughter remembers from the 60s are Gilligan's Island, Bewitched, and The Brady Bunch. Again, due to syndication in the early 80s. I doubt my son has seen any of those (he wasn't much of a TV watcher other than cartoons). There may be a few others but I'd guess it's more from hearing my wife and I talk about them on occasion rather than having seen them.

My daughter's kids know more about 50s/60s TV than she and her brother because I've exposed them to it via my collection (they live across the street - my son just moved closer to ~5 hours away instead of 12 - his kids'll rarely just sit and watch TV with me due to limited time). My oldest (16yo) grandson's favorite TV show of all time is I Love Lucy with Leave it to Beaver in his top 5. He also likes I Dream of Jeannie, The Partridge Family, and The Beverly Hillbillies. His oldest sister (13yo) loves The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (aka Moose & Squirrel), and likes The Beverly Hillbillies, and The Monkees. Their little sister (almost 8) loves Batman, The Jetsons, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Green Acres, They've not yet seen any My Little Margie and I really don't know if they'd enjoy it. That's partly due to 50s comedy shows mostly playing much differently than those from the 60s and later. I enjoy it very much, but I also saw it as a young child. It's one of my earliest TV watching memories. One of those shows that by the time I started remembering seeing it it was gone.

I really want more seasons from My Little Margie and several other comedies from the 50s. Like you, I'm surprised we got that one.
Really enjoyed reading this. Yes, how else will younger people know about and appreciate all those older shows and films if they're not exposed to them. Kudos to you for introducing your children and grandchildren to classic TV shows.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I said to someone today that now we're going to start saying things from the 1950s are seventy years ago. For instance, next year, "I Love Lucy" will be 70 years old. "My Little Margie" hits that mark in 2022.

In other words, I'm shocked we even had one release. If another one happens, fine, but there's no way I'd expect it. I've lately heard people as old as 50, when reminiscing about the "old days," not go back much before 1980! It's depressing.

And, ok, while I'm depressing myself, I hit that 70 mark in a month and a half, and it doesn't make me feel good to know that the percentage of people in the U.S. who are 70 or older is only 16.9%. Of course, that's still 55,000,000 people, so maybe there is a profitable market for this series from the very early days of television. If only 1% of them get it, that's over half a million sales!

However, I'd dread to see how many the first set sold. I bet it wasn't half a million.
The reason I asked about subsequent releases of MLM is that the member here, who knows where the "masters" for season 1 and the following 3 seasons came from, has mentioned that seasons 2 , 3 , and 4 would be forthcoming . He said to be patient , that these things take time , so I'm just wondering if any progress has been made .

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I haven't heard anything from Nostalgia Family Video in a long time . They released season 1 of MLM , One Happy Family , and Everglades on DVD about 2 years ago, and I'm not aware of any subsequent releases . Are they still in business?
Also Nostalgia Family's, My Little Margie season 1 episodes seems to come from a station called Re-TV . Anyone know anything about them?

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I realize this thread is "dead " but there is some news to report for the 4-5 people who still remember this show ,
Amazon is now selling downloads of 4 episodes in color . I don't know who colorized it or why they did , but if you'd like to see it in color ,it's there on Amazon. 99 cents per episode .

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
The complete series is now available on TubiTV. All four seasons.

That's far from being the complete series.

There were 13 episodes on CBS in the summer of 1952;
5 on NBC in the fall of 1952;
30 on CBS January-July, 1953;
then two seasons on NBC (1953-54; 1954-55) of 39 episodes each;
for a total of 126 episodes.

Tubi has the first 13;
13 of the next 35;
12 from 1953-54;
18 from 1954-55;
for a total of 56 episodes, or less than half. :(

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
That's far from being the complete series.

There were 13 episodes on CBS in the summer of 1952;
5 on NBC in the fall of 1952;
30 on CBS January-July, 1953;
then two seasons on NBC (1953-54; 1954-55) of 39 episodes each;
for a total of 126 episodes.

Tubi has the first 13;
13 of the next 35;
12 from 1953-54;
18 from 1954-55;
for a total of 56 episodes, or less than half. :(
WOW! Very unusual for a show to jump from network to network like that.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
WOW! Very unusual for a show to jump from network to network like that.
There were others:
Alfred Hitchcock Presents switched between NBC and CBS as did Jack Benny and Father Knows Best. Peter Gunn ran for two seasons on NBC then moved to ABC for season three. Leave It To Beaver started on CBS then moved to ABC. The list goes on.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
"Bachelor Father" was on all three networks: 1957-59, CBS; 1959-61, NBC; 1961-62, ABC.

Likecats

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
Hazel was on NBC for seasons 1-4 and moved to CBS for the final season. The Real McCoys was on ABC for the first five seasons and moved to CBS for the final season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks