What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Two icons of the silver screen, Mae West and W.C. Fields, have a showdown that ends in a draw in Edward Cline’s My Little Chickadee, a western comedy which works individually for each of its stars but fails to do much of anything with them as a team.

My Little Chickadee (1940)

Released: 15 Mar 1940
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 83 min

Director: Edward F. Cline
Genre: Comedy, Western

Cast: Mae West, W.C. Fields, Joseph Calleia, Dick Foran
Writer(s): Mae West (original screen play), W.C. Fields (original screen play)

Plot: After a scandal runs a gold-digger out of town, she meets a con artist and becomes embroiled in a string of petty deceits.

IMDB rating: 6.9
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Universal...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

sbjork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
A W.C. Fields title sporting a 5/5 in presentation is something I’d never thought I’d get to see. Cannot wait!
It's really, really gorgeous. For a transfer which used a fine grain print and a dupe negative for its elements, you will be amazed at the amount of fine detail which is visible in many shots. The cinematography uses diffusion filters occasionally and there are opticals which also look softer, but that's not the fault of the transfer. I was most impressed by a closeup of the card that Fields gives to West -- it's a locked off shot, so it is rock stable, and not only is the detail of the texture of his gloves and the paper clearly visible, but you can even see the minute deformation of the paper due to the stamped printing.

sbjork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
Mine along with She Done Him Wrong, I'm No Angel, Klondike Annie and Go West Young Man has arrived in my city. I hope to have them today, but UPS might transfer them over to USPS which means a Thursday delivery.
I received I'm No Angel a few days ago, but probably won't even have a chance to pop it in to take a look. Among other things, Dr. Jones finally landed on my doorstep. But if Angel looks even half as good as My Little Chickadee, it will still be a great disc.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm trying to decide which of the five movies to watch first.
I can't advise in terms of the transfers since I didn't get all of those to review, but for the essence of pure Mae: I'm No Angel. For a cracking good time: My Little Chickadee, especially if you're a Fields fan (and the transfer is the best of the West films I reviewed).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I can't advise in terms of the transfers since I didn't get all of those to review, but for the essence of pure Mae: I'm No Angel. For a cracking good time: My Little Chickadee, especially if you're a Fields fan (and the transfer is the best of the West films I reviewed).
I got my Blu-rays on Thursday so I'm probably going to watch Mae's two movies with Cary Grant first then followed them up with My Little Chickadee.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I read your comments on those first two. Looking forward to seeing what you have to say about Chickadee.
My copy if My Little Chickadee is delayed. One of the other titles I included in the order (to get it past the free shipping threshold) is currently Backordered (it was In Stock when I ordered back in April)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My copy came yesterday and although it was way too late at night for a movie by the time I had a chance to sit down, I put it in anyway. I’ll need to rewatch it when fully awake but my immediate impression was one of awe - I’ve never, ever seen a W.C. Fields film look as good as this does now. First time I ever saw it was from a worn 35mm print decades ago, and then VHS and then DVD - what a difference between those older sources and the new BD. I’m over the moon thrilled at what I’m seeing.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I read your comments on those first two. Looking forward to seeing what you have to say about Chickadee.
My copy came yesterday and although it was way too late at night for a movie by the time I had a chance to sit down, I put it in anyway. I’ll need to rewatch it when fully awake but my immediate impression was one of awe - I’ve never, ever seen a W.C. Fields film look as good as this does now. First time I ever saw it was from a worn 35mm print decades ago, and then VHS and then DVD - what a difference between those older sources and the new BD. I’m over the moon thrilled at what I’m seeing.
I watched the My Little Chickadee Blu-ray in its entirety and it does indeed looked tremendous on my 55" OLED. Thanks to Scorsese and Spielberg for providing the funding for this 4K restoration.

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken S-B
Although I have the UK region 2 DVD which looks pretty good, I just ordered the Blu-ray on the strength of the comments above. Universal can do a fine job of their old black-and-white movies. Witness the early Frankenstein and Dracula Blu-rays.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is simply incredible - it blows the old DVD (which was pretty good too) out of the water. It’s a full on 4K digital restoration done by the Film Foundation and it now looks like a brand new film. I’m surprised that they’re not advertising that part of it more. This is one of those that looks so unexpectedly good that you just want to shout it from the rooftops until everyone gets a copy. For me, based on the restoration quality alone, this is the catalog title to beat in 2021. I’ve now watched it three times and I couldn’t be happier.

sbjork

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
This is simply incredible - it blows the old DVD (which was pretty good too) out of the water. It’s a full on 4K digital restoration done by the Film Foundation and it now looks like a brand new film. I’m surprised that they’re not advertising that part of it more. This is one of those that looks so unexpectedly good that you just want to shout it from the rooftops until everyone gets a copy. For me, based on the restoration quality alone, this is the catalog title to beat in 2021. I’ve now watched it three times and I couldn’t be happier.
Yeah, when I was reviewing the disc, I hadn't looked up any details about so I was shocked at how good that it looked until I read the restoration details at the end of the movie. If you check out Kino's web page, they don't even mention anything about the 4K restoration. They should be shouting it from the hills.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kp100
Recent bookmarks