What's new
World Wide Stereo

My lighted movie poster frame is finally done. (1 Viewer)

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
After weeks and weeks of planing and trying to find time I finally got my light box done.

It would have been done 2 days ago but I built the first box the wrong depth :angry:

I utilized a front-load frame and used a 24' rope light to provide the lighting. the backing of the light box is a 1/4 sheet of the white melimine (its used on cheaper cabinets) which reflets the light nicely. I also broke down and bought a sheet of white plastic (1/32" thick) to defuse the light.

Before I attached the frame to the box I added some black foam striping (used for canopys on trucks) to seal in the light.

Well here is the link (pics kinda stink... the wife has my digital camera so these were taken with my video camera... Ill post more when I get the camera back :D

BrianKR

Second Unit
It looks awesome!
Do you have it wired to a wall switch or dimmer?
Are you planning on making more?

That was a great idea!
Where did you find the white plastic sheets?

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I only really have room for one. Though I may make one for work.:D

It is not wired to switch or dimmer. I will plug it in to a x10 lamp mod and control it that way. To hide the cord I coverd it with some black techflex. You can hardly see it against my dark walls, plus it drops behind the couch pretty quick.

White plastic sheets I found at Tap Plastic

Very nice :emoji_thumbsup: ! I was wondering if the rope lights were bright enough for a poster box. It's hard to tell from the pictures but do you feel that the need to be brighter?

The theater room addition I'm planning should have lots of wall space and I was contemplating making several poster boxes but didn't want to use high wattage lighting (electricity is expensive). The low wattage rope lights seemed like the perfect solution if the light level is high enough.

Thanks for sharing,
Roy

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
I think its bright enough. Nice thing about the rope lights is you can just add another string if its not bright enough for you. I think you can even get some that you can cut to custom lengths.

A drawback for me with the florescent type lights were cost and the depth the box had to be to house them. If your going to recess them into the wall then the depth is not that big of an issue.

I thought the posters were too wide to fit between standard wall studs. I suppose if one framed a window casing style opening before the drywall... more food for thought.

Roy

Shane-M

Agent
Great Job! I've been thinking about starting a similiar project in the very near future....

Congrats!

-Shane

One more question I just thought of...

Are you using a single sided or double sided poster? Double sided, from what I've read, give better color but, may require brighter lighting.

Roy

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
The poster in the pic is double sided.... In fact of the 20+ posters i have they are all DS.

Shane-M if you have any questions of want more detailed pics, please let me know. :D

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
The frame is an alum. flip open frame that I got from spotlight displays. You can change the poster out from the front.

DonRC

Stunt Coordinator
That looks really nice! I've been thinking about what I can do to "dress up" my media room (sometime after I get started on it, I'd think... ;) ) and this may be just the thing. I like it!

Forgive the dumb question, but where do you get the movie posters you use in one of these?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Nice job!

The only drawback to using rope lights is I've heard the white ones turn yellowish over time.

But, replacing a bit of rope light once in a while is probably still better than dealing with flourescent light ballasts.

Chris Hovanic

Supporting Actor
Dave... I can buy quite a few strands of rope light (esp. after xmas in the markdown bin) for the price of a flourescent setup. I actually thought about going flourescent but the depth of the box would have been too deep and since I did not recess it in the wall I wanted as slim as possible.

Ernesto... thanks:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTheBob
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale