My LD Player Still Works!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronJB, Jan 18, 2003.

1. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Just kind of amazed. Another poster mentioned something about laserdisc in the software forum today, which reminded me of my Pioneer CLD-406 (digital optical/coax output).

The player has a production date of 12/96 and has been gathering dust for about a year and a half. Plugged it in today and it wouldn't start up. Turned it off/on once or twice (smacked it once or twice, too) and everything kicked in. Plays fine.

Nice build job from Pioneer.

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

My Denon LA-2300 has run flawlessly since I purchased it in late '96.

My little cheap RCA player, which is in my bedroom, has also never had any problems, and it was made in 1994. It hasn't needed any percussive maintenance...yet.

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

One should expect that a six year old component would still work flawlessly. That is not old by any means, and if you haven't been using it then why would it not work? I've got a 12+ year old CD player that I'm sure still works, I haven't tried it in a while, but I can't imagine why it would quit. And I used to use it a lot especially in the first 6 years I had it.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Sometimes the belts dry out over time, and when you try using them later, the belts break.

I'm amazed that my tape deck of over 17 years still works (though I did have to replace the heads over 10 years ago), the belts still drive the cassette spindles). But I hardly ever use my tape deck for anything, I may just pitch it since it's just collecting dust.

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The RCA CED player I have hooked up right now was made in August 1982, and still works as well as it ever did!
    My Pioneer DVL-909 is back in the shop now though, after having once again started skipping on side 2 of laserdiscs [​IMG]

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

My Pioneer LD-S2 still works fine even after thirteen years of constant use, without one trip to the repair shop. I doubt my LD-S9 will hold up as long.

7. EdD

EdD Agent

I have a Pioneer DVL-700 which has been my main dvd/cd player since 1996 when I bought it. It still plays both flawlessly. We just bought a JVC FA900BK so the ld player can finally be relieved of dvd/cd duty. We'll probably still keep it around to play the remaining LD titles that we have not replaced with dvds. No other way to get the "real" version of SW/ESB/RotJ.

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Due to this thread, I have thrown out 95% of my cassette tapes because I finally decided that I'd not listen to them for almost a decade (have the CDs, and have MP3 rips of them as well for the car), so why keep them around. The actual cassette deck is going into storage for the time being...

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I have a (circa 1992) CLD-M401 that still works good as new. I got it as a floor model about 3 years ago.

10. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    OK, I'm uping the ante. I have a Magnavox, aka MagnaVision, toaploader circa 1981-83...? It works perfectly, as does the 1.5 lb. remote control. It belongs in a museum. It's only video output is RF. The LD-838D I got in '87 is stille in use. My brother has it on his bedroom TV. It's atleast stille useful.

11. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I still have my Technics SL-J2 linear tracking turntable that I bought in 1984, and it still works, though the needle/cartridge needs replacing.

12. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    I still have a B&O 4002 linear tracking turntable that I bought in 1975 that works perfectly. Obviously, I've replaced the cart.

I think RAF has one of these, too

13. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis