My latest project: Adire's HE10.1 speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle Richardson, Sep 26, 2002.

1. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I just barely finished my latest personal project: Adire Audio's HE10.1 speakers.
    Pictures of the project are available as well as a short description of the construction.
    [​IMG]

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I love the look!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    How they sound?

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'm anxiously awaiting the XBL^2 enabled version of this kit and the money to build them. Well I'd prefer to build a bunch of Unity Horns, but even if they were available I'd be waiting a long time for the money [​IMG]
    They look great Kyle. But do you have any plans to cover up the polyfil visible through the port?

4. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Excellent Kyle. Now all you have to do is complete a pair of GR Research AV1+'s and the shootout is on BABY!!!

5. Kyle Richardson

Yes, grills are coming next but I was too anxious to try them out and decided to take some pictures just before I hooked them up. I agree, a grill is really needed with these because of the unusually large port for this size of speaker.

I listened to them for about 15 minutes last night after they had been playing for about an hour for break-in. Initial results were extremely satisfying to say the least and this was a very, very informal listening session. Heck, they were sitting on a coffee table because I don't have stands for them yet and it was almost midnight so I didnt want to take too much time with them. So with the extremely bad setup they had the results far surpassed my expectations. Expect a proper setup in the near future with a more in depth listening session.

6. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

very nice,kyle.
    black hammer paint?

7. Kyle Richardson

Na, nothing special as far as the paint goes. I wanted a bit of texture to it so I just used egshell black paint and applied it using a paint roller [​IMG]

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Kyle

Simple and elegant buddy!!!

The arched real wood side panels,yummy, did you just glue and screw from the inside to attach, or just how was you approach to attaching them to the cabinet???

Geoff

9. charles_w

charles_w Stunt Coordinator

Kyle,

A tip I got from Mark P. when I built my HE10.1's was to put a piece of speaker cloth over the back of port to hide the stuffing.

Lee

10. Kyle Richardson

Thanks for the tip Charles! I think I'm going build the grill for the entire front baffle and do a curve similar to the wood panels on the side.
    After spending some quality time with these I have to say I'm extremely impressed! These have a extremely wide, tall, deep etc, etc, soundstage! The whole wall behind them seems like one large speaker! Can you tell I'm a bit happy with them? The highs are crystal clear and the bass is quite impressive too, although it sounded better when I set them to small and used the Maelstrom to fill in the lowest frequencies (60Hz on down).
    The only minor, minor complaint so far is that the voices didnt lock into the center quite as well as my 281's. It could be an issue with how much toe in these need.
    Remember, these had approximately 1 hour on them before this evenings listening session. I expect them to only get better [​IMG]

11. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

Kyle,
    Nice cabinets! Did you do John's cabnets for his SATW1-SA071 TMM? The design looks just like it [​IMG]

12. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

how did you attach the real wood sides? I thought about doing something similar with my M8a's that I'm building but was told by several in the know that you can't screw or glue real wood to MDF since the real wood will strink/expand at a different rate then the MDF which will cause the wood to crack.

13. Kyle Richardson

Chris, no I don't do Johns cabinets, he does (and does a great job I might add).
    Andrew, this may very well be true especially in climates that have high humidity. Where I live we consider high humidity when it hits 25% [​IMG] I just used regular wood glue to attach them to the sides and nothing else. I did my Maelstrom sub the same way and have not had any problems with expansion and contraction on the dissimilar woods. YMMV