My last week as a 39 year-old; should I worry?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mario Bartel, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Mario Bartel

Mario Bartel Stunt Coordinator

Turning 40 sure seems to be a big deal for a lot of people.
    When I was a teenager and my parents turned 40, they sure seemed OLD. Their lives seemed full of all kinds of adult responsibilities like life insurance policies, writing wills, drinking mixed drinks, dressing up to go out for dinner and hair loss.
    Well, here I am, staring into the abyss, and while my hair is definitely waning, I'm doing better than a lot of guys younger than I, my favorite mixed drink is a glass of chocolate milk to go with a slice of pie, I read manuals for home electronics instead of wills and insurance policies, I get a kick riding muddy trails on my mountain bike and every Sunday I still play street hockey with friends, just like I did when I was a kid (of course, I also don't have a family, so I can indulge all those pursuits guilt-free).
    So, what IS the big deal about 40?

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Grow up Mario![​IMG]
    I am also 39ish "see I can't even say it", Full head of hair[​IMG] I'm guessing it must be having kids and a wife that makes one feel the 40th year old mark. I have 4 boys and have been married for 12 years now. My brother is 44 and has kids that have flew the coupe, divorced, and now acts as if he is 23 again. I cant say I'm looking forward to being 40, but what can I do?
    Wes

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When I am 40 (4 years from now) I plan to be as young as I am now.

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I just turned 35, and have realized that I'll never get married, nor have kids. Hmm....now I'm depressed...

5. Robert McDonald

Robert McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Don't worry about 40; I'm 43 and my kids always tell me to grow up! [​IMG] I feel like I'm in my late 20s/early 30s. My dad is 76, but his mental and physical faculties are that of someone in their late 50s, so calendar age has nothing to do with it. Think young, stay active, and when your eyes wander and you are caught "gazing" at a 25 year old blonde tell your wife you are doing it for your health!

6. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

I just experienced the last few weeks of being 19... now thats weird! [​IMG]

7. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

8. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Age is just a number. I'm 45 and still enjoy all I did when I was 20, I play basketball, football, shoot pool, ride motorcycle. The only thing I worry about when my birthday rolls around is if I will get any P&S movies!

~Kurt

9. Chris White

Chris White Second Unit

Don't worry Mario. 40 is no big deal. The only downside is that eventually printed words you're trying to read will begin to look smaller and smaller. [​IMG]

10. Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone Stunt Coordinator

11. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

Mario, don't worry about, ain't none of us gettin' outta here alive anyway. We will all have our time.
    BTW, I am 34 going on 18[​IMG]
    So your only as old as you feel. Now if my 18 year old brain can tell my body that.......[​IMG]

12. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Just wait til you get in your 50's! LOL

I can hardly believe that I am 52... since just yesterday I was 18 and a freshman in college beginning to experience THE WORLD!!!!

In your 50's, you'll either pay for what you've done to your body or reap rewards for what you haven't done! Personally, everyone always guess me to be late 30's to early 40's due to the fact I have no gray and my size is only slightly larger than when I was young. I attribute that to no drinking since college and I also never smoked.

That being said, my body is sure paying for some of the physical miscues.... was an avid motocrosser/dirt biker/enduro biker with the common injuries that go with that.

Keep an active lifestyle and limit your vices especially smoking cigs and over consumption of booze...... find and keep a girlfriend that's at least 10 years younger... that will do wonders for you!! (or kill you)LOL

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Mario,
    Don't worry. In three weeks I'll be 59. For some time I have realised now, I was still using all those age-notions for other people, but subconsciously no longer considered it to apply to myself (After an interview with an applicant, my colleague and I said: he's too old for our team. Then we realised we were actually 1 and 2 years older respectively...).
    You will find that all those numbers aren't that important (don't ask me to discuss the "milennium bug" again [​IMG] [​IMG]). Look at it this way: if our number system had been 12-based, you would be 34 on your next birthday.
    Cees

14. Jagan Seshadri

Jagan Seshadri Supporting Actor

40 is the new 30...
    So says an article in the Globe and Mail.
    Here
    The scary thing is some of these people are just avoiding responsibility, it seems. What's to fear, I wonder?
    -JNS

15. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

You're only as old as you feel. [​IMG]
    Seriously, the tough thing for me is that I work near a university. So as I age (I'm going to be 28 soon) I am surrounded by young kids all the time, and they don't get more than four years older before they are cycled out and a brand new crop of 17-18 year old freshman come to campus. Now that makes me feel like I'm getting older. Soon I won't be able to pass as one of them. [​IMG]

16. RogerB

RogerB Second Unit

It's not that I miss being younger....it's the looking ahead at what's left that scares me!
    I'm 42 but my wife is 34. She has agreed to let me be the same age as her. [​IMG]