What's new

My kids are hooked on Star Wars (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey G

Agent
I've had the Trilogy on VHS for several years and have watched all of them several times, but for some reason, my kids haven't seen them. I threw Empire in the other day and my kids (6, 4, and 3) went nuts. We watched Empire and Jedi that night and had to watch A New Hope the next day. Now my kids want to watch them every day, especially the 3 year old- amazing. They're running around the yard playing Luke, Ben, Leia, Darth, etc.

This illustrates the power of these movies. 25 years after coming out, the kids still love them; and Dad does, too.

I've got Phantom coming for Christmas on DVD, so I'm going to make them wait for it, rather than letting them see my VHS copy. I wish Lucas would get off his ass and get the Trilogy out on DVD, but I know that's wishful thinking.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff,

I am glad to here you let your 3 year old watch them. I was 5 when the original Star Wars came out and I mezmerized by it. Today, I am still a huge Star Wars fan. I have tried to get my godson, who is 5, to watch the series several times and his mother claims that they are "too scary".

When my daughter, who is 5 months, is old enough to sit and watch a movie belive me she will watch Star Wars. Well she has already seen them all wether or not she stayed awake is another story.

Jeff_P

Lafe F

Second Unit
Imagine watching the movies for the first time in episode order, rather than production order. The kids of the future will be fortunate to have all six episodes of Star Wars at their viewing convenience.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Actually, I don't think the movies should be watched in episode order, at least the first time. There is too much revealed in both EP 1 and most likely EP 2 and 3. To pick just a few things, the fact that Darth Vader is Anakin Skywalker and Luke's father, the fact that Obi-Wan Kenobi trained Anakin/Darth etc

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I agree.

The films should be watched in order of release:

Star Wars, Empire, Jedi and then Phantom Menace.

I don't understand how Episodes I-III are going

to affect the overall viewing experience. I mean,

what will history deem the proper way to watch

these movies? If they are watched in ORDER there

is far too much revealed so by the time you get to

the EMPIRE climax there is no secret.

By the way, ATTACK OF THE CLONES will have a major

surprise along the lines of EMPIRE. I will not

spoil it, and if anyone else knows, please do not

blurt it out on this board. Thanks.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
You mean:
Anakin: I made you!
C3PO: Oh Noooooo! That's not true! That's impossible!
Anakin: Search your feelings... :D

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking:
Obi-Wan: Anakin, I just found out that Padme is your sister!
Anakin: That can't be! We just made love last night. Noooooooooooooo!
Obi-Wan: Oh gross.
:D

Coressel

Supporting Actor
In either the commentary or one of the documentaries on the TPM DVD, Lucas states that the whole idea is that this IS a chronological story beginning with Episode 1 and going from there...

Of course future audiences shouldn't HAVE to see it in that order, nor should they be forced to see it strictly in order of release either.

And... since we have not yet seen Episodes 2 and 3, how do we know that Vader's revelation in Episode 5 won't still be a revelation?

Even if we do see Vader in Episode 3, the impact of the end of ESB is still very powerful.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
My comments on Episode order vs release order.

Release order: Viewers who know absolutely nothing about Star Wars can only learn about the Force in ANH. In TPM absolutely nothing about the Force is explained and actually playing the Jedi computer games helps even more with "Force push" and other tricks. If the first episode someone sees is TPM I can imagine them saying "Who are these Jedi? Why are they important? and How the hell do they block laser shots and jump so high?". It will be really dumb to watch Ep. I-III and then have to sit through explanations of the Force in IV, which by this time the viewer will completely understand. Plus the whole Darth Vader/father issue. I think the OT works best if the viewers can connect with Luke and that will be much harder if the viewer already knows everything about the Force and his family tree.

Episode Order: Viewers will not know the fate of Anakin like all of us do. That in itself might negate the Vader/father issue.

Chuck Anstey

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Warning, HUGE spoiler!!

Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star.
Lone Star: What?
Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
Lone Star: What's that make us?
Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become.
Oh wait, wrong movie :)

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
By the way, ATTACK OF THE CLONES will have a major

surprise along the lines of EMPIRE.
I don't know what the exact surprise is going to be, but it was pretty clear in "Phantom Menace" to expect one.

Ron,

Did someone spoil this for you? If so, and if you don't mind, I would like to see if my guess is correct. Like I said, it is fairly obvious that a twist is coming up.

Brett B.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I thought that the surprize is that G.L. is going to redo episodes 4 - 6 again anyway.

Oh, wait! This is really going to suck, isn't it? Maybe we need an episode zero.

Glenn

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Chuck,

While it's true that the Force isn't fully explained in Episode 1, it isn't really in Episode 4 either. Different aspects of the Force come out in different Episodes. When I first saw ESB, I thought "how the hell can Luke make a lightsaber fly out of the snow and into his hand?" I thought it was hokey. But looking at TPM first, then going thru parts 2 and 3 (in which I'm willing to bet even more of the Force will be explored), we see these guys jumping around and doing amazing things apparently because of training in the "Jedi Arts," then as the story goes on we learn more.

What would be wrong with that? And why does everything have to be "explained" in the first place? Why not have a little mystery behind it all.

If after episodes 2 and 3 come out, the whole saga is confusing and nonsensical in number order, then I'll agree with those who think it has to be see in order of release. But as I've pointed out in other threads, Wagner's Ring Cycle was pretty much composed the same way 150 years ago, and now it's always see in number order.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
Also, I think it might be a fun experiement to show kids the whole story in chronological order in the future just to see how or if it works.

I'm sure they won't be permanently damaged...

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the Anakin/Luke connections in Empire, there are other 'surprises' that are completely spoiled by watching the films out of release order. Most notably, the introductions of Yoda and Jabba the Hut. Watching the films theatrically, it was a big deal when these characters were introduced to the audiences. ( At least it was for me, back then. :) )
Of course, Lucas himself has killed the buildup of Jabba's introduction in ROTJ by having Han treat him like a punk in the SE of A New Hope. ( RANT/ Sometimes when your plans don't work out, it can be serendipitous. i.e. Bruce in Jaws. But no.... Now that we have computers let's just fuck with everything. /RANT)
This was a big part of the film's serial nature; ( what's gonna happen next ) and viewing the films in numerical order completely deflates that aspect of this series.
- Walter.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Coressel,

I did not say everything had to be explained. In the OT we have two scene that pique our interest in the force. First is when Darth Vader says "Do not be too impressed with this technological marvel. The abiltiy to destroy a planet is nothing compared to the power of the Force!" (or some such). Plus we have Obi-Won teaching Luke how to reach out to the force on the Millenium Falcon and telling of great warriors called "Jedi Knights". One major (if not the major) storylines of the OT is joining Luke's journey into discovering this "Lost Art" of the force and the power it might hold to make you understand Darth Vader's statement. All of that mystery and excitement will be lost after watching I-III. Viewers will now just be waiting for Luke to discover everything they already know in ESB and wonder why Yoda didn't teach him all about the other really cool powers of the Force.

As an aside, the one thing that confused my 9 year old brain in ANH (due to bad editing and sound effects) was the fight between Vader and Obi-Won. Since all the shots of Obi-Won when he is losing the fight are straight down his light saber, to me it looked like it was shrinking and losing power (sound effects) so I thought the light saber's blade was created by the wielder's control of the force. This seemed to make sense since Vader was telling him he wasn't the warrior he used to be.

Chuck Anstey

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
My eldest son (6 years old) is hooked on Star Wars. What amazes me is my niece who is 9 years old has never heard of Darth Vader and is not familiar with the first 3 SW movies. I have a lot of educating to do but without those movies on DVD, it will be more difficult. My son is eagerly awaiting epII next year though.

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Jabba should have never appeared in ANH; it ruins the "Maris" effect of hearing about someone but never seeing them and the big payoff from actually seeing him in Jedi.

I imagine most children of the future will be introduced to the films in episode order rather than theatrical release order. It will ruin the surprises in ESB and ROTJ but they will still have the thrill of watching Luke find out. Kind of like a horror film where the audience knows the killer is in the closet but the character on the screen has yet to discover it.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
One could also argue that by watching episodes IV, V and VI first spoils episodes I, II and III because we know Anakin and Padmé will, well you know, and their children will grow up to, well you know, and Obi-Wan Kenobi will hold a certain rank during a certain war and then, well you know, and that everything ends with all the Jedi, well you know. You know?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks