My Kenwood VR 509 died after 30 days of use, HELP!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eddie Wimberly, Jan 28, 2002.

1. Eddie Wimberly

Eddie Wimberly Stunt Coordinator

I bought it from etronics. Is there anything I can do? This sucks so bad, 350 down the drain.

The reciever still works but the audio 2 and 3 inputs do not work at all. I even had my cable plugged into video 3 and got to listen to it die. WHAT CAN I DO? Will etronics take this back? Has anyone delt with them before?

Also, I was thinking of maybe getting the Onkyo one that everyone is talking about (what's the model number on that one again?) From what I've heard, it's a better deal for this price range. Advice needed.

2. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

Take it back to where you bought it from,if that doesn't work call Kenwood,if youv'e only had it 30 days it should be under some kind of warranty,maybe they have a service center near you that can provde a quick turn around.Good luck

3. Eddie Wimberly

I contacted etronics, they gave me a RMA number. I think I'm gonna get screwed on shipping/restocking charges, but at least I can return it.
    As I mentioned before, I am thinking of getting the Onkyo over the VR 509. Does this sound like a good thing? I know one thing for sure, the remote can't get any worse than the 509 [​IMG]

4. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

SORRY, THAT E-SUCKS

5. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

What's wrong with the remote on the VR-509? I am using it with my TV, VCR, Cable Box, DVD, and CD player. It does just about every important function with each device. I taught my wife how to use it in about 15 minutes. I love the remote.

Have you looked in to getting the receiver repaired locally?

There are many independent authorized repair shops who would be happy to repair the unit AT NO COST TO YOU. Check Kenwood's website and input your zip code. Personally, I'd rather do that than waste money on restock and shipping fees.

6. Eddie Wimberly

So, can anyone give me some opinions as to which reciever is better?

I've already gotten an RMA number from etronics, so I believe I'm obligated to send the reciever in within 7 days.

7. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Honestly--I listened to the Onkyo 595, Denon 1602, and the VR-509 at my local A/V shop. I liked the sound of all three. I'm no audiophile, but all three sounded pretty similar in the same room with the same speakers. I chose the Kenwood mainly because of the price. The VR-509 also had more features for the $$$. Also-I liked the remote better than the Denon and Onkyo.

I also don't think that you are absolutely obligated to return the receiver. They won't give you your money back until they get the receiver back. If I were you, I'd get it repaired locally and not waste any money on shipping or restock fees.

8. Eddie Wimberly

Hmm, I just looked on the kenwood site, typed in my address and got this as my "local" repair technicians.

CERRITOS,

CA 90703-2257

DENVILLE,

NJ 07834-1362

VIRGINIA BEACH,

VA 23452-7224

PUERTO RICO,

PR 00920

I live in Orlando, Florida.

It look like I will have to send the reciever to one of these guys to get it fixed. Are you saying they will pay for shipping?

I'll make some calls when I get home, just trying to see what everyone else would do first.

9. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Interesting...I used zip code 32803 and found:

ELECTRONIC SERVICE LABS INC

3071 N ORANGE BLOSSOM TRL

ORLANDO, FL 32804-3455

(407) 298-8040

I found it hard to believe that no one services Kenwood products in the Orlando area. You have to scroll past the actual Kenwood Service Centers to get to the local dealers.

By the way---You can do whatever you want. You were looking for opinions, and I gave you one. I could care less what you do, but I think that shipping and restock fees are a huge waste of money...but please don't piss on my opinion when you asked for opinions.

10. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I agree with John. Call the local authorized service center and see what they have to say. Labor and parts should be covered so there should be no problem. [​IMG]

11. Eddie Wimberly

Hey John, what the hell is wrong with you? The only one pissing is you, pissing and moaning that is. And why? Because my zip code search didn't give me the same results yours did?

All I do is come in here and ask for help, and I get this jackmaster flaming me because I tell him I get search results for California.

12. John_E

John_E Stunt Coordinator

Eddie-

Are you kidding me? It took me all of 30 seconds to find a local repair shop for you. All you had to do was read the entire page. It seems like you already made up your mind, so why did you even ask for an opinion? I gave you my opinion since I had listened to both of the units. You give me a smart ass comment like "Hmm, I just looked on the kenwood site, typed in my address and got this as my "local" repair technicians."

I am done with this thread.

13. Haywood

Haywood Stunt Coordinator

Eddie, take a look at the set-up menu and make sure that the the audio inputs are assigned as analog and not digital. My friend had that problem with his Kenwood but he didn't find out until after he had taken it in for repair. [​IMG] Luckily it was still under warranty so he didn't have to pay anything but I am sure the service shop charged Kenwood.
    Later Haywood [​IMG]

14. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

the point I think should be, why would he want to repair a unit that failed so quickly...I admit that even higher-end gear will fail right out of the box now and again, but I would demand a new unit! While I am no great fan of kenwood( even though it's a line that I carry), I would not necessarily through in the towel on your choice because you got a lemon, but I would not make one of my customers keep a unit that needed a repair that quickly...

15. MickeS

MickeS Producer

What Haywood said: make sure you have it set to the correct type of audio input (analog or digital). I had that problem when I hooked up the cable box.
    However, I see you're saying that you "got to listen to it die", so I take it that's not the problem. I usually triple-check these things myself though. [​IMG]
    /Mike

16. Eddie Wimberly

Where can I check that setting at? It was working the night before, and there were a lot of friends of mine playing playstation 2 on the frontal input jack. When I woke up the next morning, my video 2 had picture but no sound. (s video picture, component audio).

I then ran the cable sound to video 3. I heard it at first, then dead silence. I don't remember if I hit any buttons to make it go silent, but I'm almost positive I didn't. I plug my cable into the front a/v jack, and I get picture and sound. My DVD player gives me optical sound.

17. Eddie Wimberly

OMG guys, thank you. I had it set to auto detect and it was digital. I flipped it to analog and I had my sound back. I can't believe I didn't try that before, I could have sworn I did.

Man this is going to save me a lot of time, thank you so much.

18. Mark JJ

Mark JJ Auditioning

Eddie - Don't sweat it, bud. We've all been there. No matter how smart we like to think we are.