My JVC XV-SA75GD is Pan & Scaning my Widescreen DVD's!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ash Williams, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

I have a JVC XV-SA75GD DVD player connected to a 4x3 27" Sony Trinitron TV via S-Video. When a watch any widescreen material, about [​IMG] an inch of video is cut off on each side of the image. I know this because when using the zoom function to zoom out, I see more of the image. Does anyone know how to fix this?

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I would think that's a function of your TV's overscan of the display.

I think Avia's DVD's Video calibration will show you exactly how much overscan your TV has.

3. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Well the thing that bugs me is that my old player didn't do it. My old player was a $200 RCA that I bought in 99', the model number evades me. I have Video Essentials but I guess I will have to pick up a copy of Avia too.

4. efren

efren Auditioning

I think you can adjust that by going into the setup menu of the player. You can either select 4:3 normal, 4:3pan/scan, 16:9 auto, 16:9 normal. I forgot if it's Preference 1 or Preference 2 tab...hope this helps.

5. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

Efren,
    I tried that already. I'm guessing it's my TV. Thanks for your input though.

6. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

Sounds like TV overscan to me as well.

cheers

Andrew Ballew

7. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

>>my old player didn't do it...
    I would not be surprised if some players did not fit the picture material accurately onto the scan lines it sent to the TV. It could even be intentional, the player leaves a tiny amount of blank space (made black) at the far ends of the scan lines to second guess the overscan on the TV. Although intentionally compensating for overscan in the vertical direction is much more difficult because it requires scaling, fitting the 480 rows of pixels onto fewer scan lines.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm