What's new

My Jurassic Park 3 annoyances. (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
Just a couple of things that made this movie, well, boring or just plan stupid...

1: when dr grant was sleeping in the plane and was dreaming a dinosaur was in the seat next to him. *UMM STUPID*

2: The whole rescuing the kid in the bird cage sequence with the parachute *gimme a break*

3: a kid surviving that long by himself, while experts die right away. Bah.

4: The kid couldn't find a way to help the guy out of the parachute?

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
Todd Stone without kissing up, you are the smartest person on the HTF board! i cannot believe someone has touched on the same plot point i wanted to share about the movie? No kid could last that long???!

It a real pity Steven Spielberg didn't direct it but considering he was know for the biggest plot hole in movie history (how a T-Rex wiped out a boat crew while still in the ship's cargo bay? in "Lost World!")

This movie needed to be bigger! than the last, not smaller? The film was basically a resue mission? What the movie needed to be, was set in a big major "city" somewhere? with some crazy plot on shiping dinosaurs back to the mainland to make money? (human greed leads to man's down fall?) and have some big villian played by Christopher Walken or Alan Rickman! and have them try to mess up the heroes work to stop mass destruction. Armys of the U.S. or the world? combine to take on the jurassic predators. See people making a movie plot just needs imagination (This JP3 would be directed by "James Cameron").

Two movies based on dinos on an "Island" needs to change when it gets to part three!

Anyone else agree?

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
I find it hilarious that anyone expects a movie about dinosaurs resurrected from blood taken from a mosquito that was conveniently trapped in amber that apparently bit every single type of dinosaur in existence to be in any way, shape or form realistic. The entire premise is ludicrous, and you're worrying about little inconsistencies like someone owing a satellite phone or a thriteen year old kid being a trained survivalist?

That being said, I loved this movie, because it wasn't nearly as pretentious as the last one. I liked that they simply took idiots and dropped them on a dino-infested island with megaphones and let nature take its course.

Fun, fun movie.

todd stone

Screenwriter
But Marvin, if you're going to try and make a movie serious, like they tried to, let's not little stupidities slip through the cracks.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
That's the point. When were they ever trying to be serious, especially in JP3? Even in the second one they had a bunch of Japanese screaming Godzilla at a T-Rex. A dinosaur running around with a satellite phone in its mouth doesn't strike me as serious. Funny, yes, but not serious.

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
I was about to start a similar thread.
To me, the scene, toward the end, where the Raptors have come to "claim their eggs" makes the least sense of any scene in the movie.
When Dr. Grant starts blowing into the Raptor's resonance chamber (or whatever the heck they called it). Paul Kirby shouts "No, No, call for Help!". WTF!! (I usually hate it when people say WTF, but in the case WTF!) Why would the raptors run off when they hear the call for help, when the source of the call is right there! Wouldn't calling fo help ATTRACT even more Raptors? :eek:
I also highly question the ability to hear a cell phone ring in a pile of dino dung!
I still enjoyed the movie for the most part, but I cannot believe that people are smart enough to master the technology and logistics to produce such a film would compromise their work by allowing some of these illogical plot points to make the final cut.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Marvin is right. This movie was never intended to be all that serious. In fact, none of them really. While the theory seems sound based on the original Jurassic Park, it can't happen.

My question to you is this. If you can suspend disbelief long enough to buy into the theory that JP scientists miraculously brought back 60 million year old dinosaurs, which obviously you do, then why can't you suspend disbelief for comparably minor plot inconsistencies? Just a question I was curious to ask you. The whole premise of being able to bring back a 60 million year old dinosaur is preposterous in the first place. Surely, if you could get living dino blood, you could bring them back. But you'd never find it, and even if you did find the blood, it wouldn't have lasted 60 million years to be worth anything anyway. Blood cells die and blood detiorates. So it would be worthless if you found it.

All I'm asking is that you be fair to the movie. I throughly enjoyed the movie, even if it wasn't as good as the original. I remember saying "that can't happen, that's impossible," while watching a film with my entire family. My mom looked over at me and said "it's only a movie."

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
I am with Marvin on this one. Does anybody REALLY think ANY of the James Bond, Indiana Jones, Star Wars moives NOT beyond logic ? All these movies DEMAND suspension of beleive and logic. It works if you walk out of the theater and say, "Thar was stupid, but was it ever FUN", then it worked and if you did not have FUN watching it, then it failed. With these types of movies, logic, consistency, etc is simply not part of the equation.

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
Chalk another up for Marvin's side. Those complaining about plot holes and accuracy, did you ever think how they got songs from 1960's-1990's in a movie set in 1890's?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
My fave has to be them eating food out of a vending machine on an island deserted by man over four years ago. If the dinos didn't kill em, surely the food would! :)
One can find little faults in every movie of course, never shocks me to find the odd mistake and I never let tiny plot points like that bother me when it comes to AAA blockbusters. I got what I wanted from the movie... For what it's worth, I liked JP3 a damn sight better than Lost World.
Dan (UK)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
3: a kid surviving that long by himself, while experts die right away. Bah.
This same thing happened in Aliens. We get people complaining how unrealistic that is all the time... ;)
Come on: forget your cynicism, suspend disbelief, and enjoy the bloody movie. :)

todd stone

Screenwriter
I admit I enjoyed the movie, but I think seeing him dream of a dinosaur in the airplane seat next to him set me off :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Yes, the idea that dinosaurs could be brought back to life that way may be preposterous, but they sold it well. That's the key. I'm not a scientist, if I were I'd probably laugh at the science, but for most of us it makes sense that it could happen. In fiction it's not how plausible it is, it's how well you sell it. James Bond, et al don't demand suspension of disbelief, they sell it to you. JP3 didn't sell it well at all. All of its little logic leaps chip away at its credibility until it becomes unwatchable.

The main problem for me in this movie is the poor ass characterizations. It fell victim to the Nightmare on Elm Street syndrome. After the first in that series, you stopped caring for the kids and rooted for Freddy because the characters were paper thin. That's what happened here. I hated everyone on the island, and didn't care if they died.

They even ruined Dr. Grant who explicitly explains there's nothing on heaven or earth that could get him back on that island. Oh, except for a blank check.

-Did they really need a dinosaur expert to tell them it's not a good idea to scream into a megaphone?

-Wouldn't the mercenaries have cashed their half up front checks before going? And not go after it bounced?

-Just because Allen could blow through the raptor thing wouldn't mean he'd know the language. That was just wrong.

The fact is they admit to having no script when filiming and improvising most of the story. This movie certianly looks as if they made it up as they went along.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>The fact is they admit to having no script when filiming and improvising most of the story.

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
After the first in that series, you stopped caring for the kids and rooted for Freddy because the characters were paper thin. That's what happened here. I hated everyone on the island, and didn't care if they died.
That's funny, I was cheering for the dinosaurs from the start of the very first film! Did you really think the carbon copy kids in the first movie were distinct characterizations? Please! The young female infatuated with the older, wiser adult. The young male who admires the older, wiser adult. This entire series is nothing more than an excuse to set loose dinosaurs on unsuspecting (or suspecting, doesn't really matter) morons who will do all the wrong things and get killed until the very end when the have a sudden realization and do the right thing and save the last three or four people alive.

I was not even paying attention to the plot. I could care less. I went into the movie expecting to see some new dinosaurs, and that's what I got. Everything else is just a semblance of plot (in all three movies) to get to that point.

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
The one really big problem I had with this movie was that their wasn't enough dinosaur fodder. If you're not gonna have decent characters at least give me a bunch of morons getting chomped by dinos so that I can look past the piss-poor character developments and plot craters.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
It seems that some of you were trying to think to hard through this movie. This was not in anyway, a "turn your brain on" movie. This was nothing more than a thrill-ride and a chance to get to see some new and neat dinosaurs.

Again, the only problem I had was the ending was cheap and too abrupt. They took the cheap way out in the end. They should have thought longer about the ending and come up with something more interesting. Not only that, you give the fans their money's worth by bringing back the Spino one more time. It's the same reason Spielberg brought the T-Rex back at the end of JP. He knew that fans would love the T-Rex and he knew he needed to end the movie by giving them there money's worth.

As it stands, they should make no more movies. The story has been played out and you can't really do anything worthwhile and different with this story anymore, unless you do rehashes by making more movies with dinos chasing and killing people.

Jason St Louis

Stunt Coordinator
For better or worse, movie adaptions are not up to the original novel or short story book!
I recall in the original book of "Jurassic Park" John Hammond was a evil and corrupt man! who cared for the bottom dollar when it came to the "Jurassic Park theme park" attraction.
In the end, unlike the movie he stays not leaving with the others? later on he has an ironic death at the hands of his creations? Now take the movies? in which Speilberg made Hammond a "Walt Disney" type person! if we go with that version of the character then in contrast to the novel the first Jurassic Park is inconsistant with the book? (as are alot of movie adaptions)
Inconsistencies are part of all movies like it or not! only the most ignorant of people think one movie will stand head and shoulders above all (unfortunately they call these people critics)
Only "we" as the cinema going public have the right to talk and banter about movies cos, we pay to see them? "believe it, or not!" :)
No "ripley's" jokes please!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks