My JBL PB12 quit working/ warranty quabbles

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ace peterson, Oct 13, 2001.

1. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I have a JBL PB12 sub that I bought 6/2001. The other day I went to start it up and it was "talking back" to me popping several times followed by a long loud hum. I turned it off quickly and turned it back on a few minutes later and it did the same thing. I unplugged it and let it sit for a few more minutes and tried again. This time it won't even turn on. There are red LED's in front that don't light any more. It's completely nonresponsive.
    I checked the breakers just to see it was tripped, and all was normal back there. Anyway, I'm sending it in to be serviced but that is a 2 1/2 hr drive from my house. I will probably UPS the thing. I was wondering if you guys knew of anything I could check or do before I went to the trouble of shipping it to a strange store?? (They are the closest store that is authorized by JBL to do warranty repairs.)
    As a side note, I bought the sub from Consumer-Direct Warehouse which says they are an authorized dealer of JBL products. JBL says they are NOT an authorized dealer of their products and may take legal action on them. JBL was not going to honor my warranty, but decided to give me a one-time approval for warranty service. Anyone dealt with this stuff before???

2. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Sorry to hear about you JBL problems. I actually have a JBL sub in the shop getting fixed right now. The sub was 60 days past it's warrenty date and JBL offerred to fix it without an argument. When I called JBL I was just calling to find a service center in my area. When the service rep asked me when I bought the sub I said it's 60 past the warrenty date and he said "that's not a problem, we'll still honor the product". He never even asked if the sub was bought from an authorized center(it wasn't). After my experience. I wrote JBL to thank them for their great service and dopped the service reps name so he could get some nice press.
    I've since received an email from the Manager of Customer Support. Try giving him a try. Here is his email. He'll probably help. [email protected]
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

3. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I'm sorry it crapped out, too. I don't think the sub was a reject. It was fresh out of the manufacturer's box. Is there a fuse inside of the sub that I might be able to take a look at? If it's too much hassle I won't because I don't want to void the warranty service I'll be getting.
    Thanks for the email address. I might just write to him and let him know about it. Maybe he can set the record straight about Consumer-Direct.

4. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

There is a fuse inside. If the fuse has blown on the sub so soon it could mean there is something else wrong. If the fuse is blown and you do replace it. Make sure you use the EXACT same fuse.
    ------------------
    "What do you mean its too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Because of this issue I went with a Velo ct100. To many problems with this unit. check audioreview.com for news from other owners of the JBL PB12 and 10....Sorry this had to happen to you..