1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

My ISF Calibration Experience

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TimSted, Feb 10, 2003.

1. TimSted

TimSted Auditioning

Hi all, Gregg Loewen left my house a couple hours ago and I thought I'd share my experience.

Gregg braved the lovely Ohio weather today to work on my 55" Mits (WS55411). He arrived around 2:00PM. Turns out he collects Star Wars figures like myself so we chatted for awhile about my collection and then Gregg got down to business. I've seen accounts of what all Gregg does posted on here before so I won't give you a detailed blow by blow, but basically he did everything I was expecting. Flashed my eprom to fix red push, removed my protective screen, did manual & electronic focus, turned off VSM, did grayscale, convergence & geometry & overscan. I asked questions when I had them and Gregg explained everything he was doing as he did it. Gregg is very easy to talk to and explains things in relatively simple terms without talking down to you. He worked on my set for roughly 3 hours, but it didn't seem that long. Things went pretty smoothly with my set. Gregg obviously knows his stuff and has an "intuition" about what adjustments to make. My set seemed to react exactly as he expected (which is not always the case I suspect) so he finished pretty quickly. The biggest hang-up was the fact that we (ok mostly me) were convinced that the service code was 2157. After 5 minutes of not being able to get the service menu up, we jumped online and discovered the code was 2257, DOH!! This was a new code that Gregg didn't have. After that, it was smooth sailing.

So was it worth it? Absolutely. This set is only a couple months old and it wasn't terrible (relatively speaking) out of the box. But now I'm seeing details I hadn't seen before. AOTC looks AWESOME! It really pops off the screen now, whereas before it was just kind of flat. You probably spent at least $2K or more on your set, do yourself a favor and hookup with Gregg and get the most out of it.

2. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Nice. Congratulations. Where at in Ohio do you live. I was supposed to get mine done by Gregg, but since I have screen burn, it just doesn't seem worth it. I was just going to get a projector, but since I've spent a lot of that money on a whole new sound system, I may have to wait till next year for the projector and get the calibration.

So I'm just curious as to how close Gregg was to me and I missed him.

3. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

That sounds great. I just got my new HDTV (Sony Hi-Scan 46in. wide screen pictured below). I was thinking about getting this done in a few months myself after the TV had some usage under its belt. If you don't mind, how much did it cost? Where is Gregg from? I live in Pittsburgh which relatively speaking is not that far from Ohio, if hes to far do you know where I can find people in my area? I all ready looked on Keohi, and their pretty far. Thanks.

4. TimSted

TimSted Auditioning

LaMarcus: I'm in North Canton. It's about 5 hours NE of you. I believe Gregg was headed to Columbus after he left my place. He mentioned something about Minnesota as well. Ouch!

Ottis: Gregg's prices are all on his web site. I actually paid in advance awhile back when I booked my calibration. I THINK it was $550 for 2 inputs (480P & 1080I). He is from Maine. He swings through this area every few months. He was in PA prior to coming to OH. Check his web site for all the info. www.lionav.com. I wish I would have known about him sooner. I wasted $250 on a local "calibrator" before I found out about Gregg. He didn't even fix my red push(the local guy)let alone focus, geometry, VSM etc. Live & learn!

5. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Great, thanks for your help[​IMG]

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Man, that makes me look forward to my calibration even more. Personally I think the setup looks spectacular even now. It will be interesting to see the improvements that can be made.

7. Michael St. Clair

8. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Neil aren't you in Ohio? You have a FP don't you? Your gonna have Gregg do yours?

9. Bill_Mis

Bill_Mis Stunt Coordinator

Gregg is due at my house in Indy tonight at about 10pm. If he keeps to his schedule he'll be doing 4 different people today. I am going to take a nap after work so I will be up with him til probably 3 in the morning finishing up. The weather here has been bad too with snow again today. That can't help with his travel plans which have him coming from Ohio. Any delays means we'll probably be up even later. I will post my impressions on a calibrated Pioneer 533hd5 soon thereafter.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    LaMarcus, I am in Toronto, just a little drive down the way. I think Michael TLV is doing mine.

11. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Screenwriter

Wow, your getting yoda to do yours.[​IMG]

12. Bill_Mis

Bill_Mis Stunt Coordinator

Gregg just left a couple hours ago with yet another satisfied customer. Restacking the glare screen made an obvious improvement but the thing I most noticed was how much better geometry looks for high definition. Combine that with proper, consistant greyscale and it makes a real difference. Everything is in balance and more film-like.

13. Matt Brill

Matt Brill Auditioning

Gregg just left my house in Indy also. He calibrated my 65411 Mits and I am very pleased. My HD geometry and overscan were way off also. Now all is well. Sounds like Gregg is leaving a trail of satisfied customers all across this great country of ours. I would highly reccommend his services.