My ISF Calibration Experience

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher~O, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

After doing some research and realizing how lucky I am to live in the same town as him, yesterday I had HTF’s very own Michael TLV come over and calibrate my new 46” Sony RPTV.

I had given the TV a basic setup with my Sound & Vision disk, but proper calibration did make a noticeable difference above an beyond my decidedly sophomoric effort.

The biggest difference was made by getting the protective cover out of the way. The reduction in glare and reflection was huge.

The color balance across the screen was also quite off as the set came from factory. There was a strip on the red and green CRT's, but it was not enough to get even color distribution as was evidenced by the readings Michael took. It was also visibly uneven with certain test patterns.

Flesh tones were also visibly off before calibration, even though I tried to get them as close as possible myself, there were much better after.

Convergence was an issue that needed some attention. I did not have the fortitude to go into the service menu and set this myself. Michael did the set up and then at the end walked me through the process (myself taking copious notes) so I could go in every couple of months and keep convergence proper.

Michael also did a mechanical and digital focus, overscan adjustment (down to approximately 3-4%) as well as some other wizardry that I did not catch.

The entire process took about 5 hours and overall I am very pleased with the results. Not only were they quite noticeable to me, I also know I have squeezed out that last 10-20% performance from the TV and have taken steps to ensure it’s longevity. And my wife did not even blink when she came down to see the new TV taken apart and spread generously accross the room!

Thanks Michael!!

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Thanks Chris.

In a first for these eyes ... Sony has actually built in lens striping into this set just like on the Pioneers and some Toshiba units.

There were metal strips in the red CRT and the Green CRT ... following Gregg's revision of the technique to include Green striping.

There was no striping of the blue crt though from the factory.

What this resulted in was the left side being overly blue as expected, but the right side was overly green. Good old electrical tape took care of much of that after a few iterations.

Best Regards

3. Brian_Dunstan

Christopher~O,

Not sure if this is appropriate, but can you tell me what it cost you to have your RPTV professionally calibrated?

4. Christopher~O

Christopher~O Stunt Coordinator

No problem. I was in the $500-$600 range though "The Calibrator" is known to be very accomodating with regards to pricing and specific client requests.[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Chris