My Initial differences b/w the Klipsch RF3 and RF7's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jorge UF, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Jorge UF

Jorge UF Stunt Coordinator

Well as some may know, I just upgraded my 3's to 7's except for the rears which are still RS3's. I wanted to share my initial thoughts on the upgrade. Obviously the first thing that I noticed is that they are much bigger and heavier, which I found out when I was trying to unload them bymyself. They now make my svs 2231pci seem like a midget, where before I thought it was big. The maple wood was something that I always wanted which unfortunately was not available in the 3's, so that is also a much welcomed change.

As far as setting them up, I had my 3's set too small and the sub taking care of the bass. This too me sounded much better than setting the mains to large and having both the sub and main handle the bass. Well the 7's are a much different story. I still can't decide which is better, but I believe that I am leaning towards having them large and mixing the bass with the sub. The bass out of the 7's is a nice improvement over the 3's. It seemed to me at some points when I mixed the bass of the 3's with the sub, that the 3's struggled just a little bit and would muffle that bass some. The 7's bass seems to blend much better.

I couldn't do a side by side comparison with them at home, but in tweeter I did one and it there was an audible improvement in the clarity of the highs. Now that I have them here, I notice some improvement in the highs and the bass issue that I mentioned before.

So the big question was it worth it? Tough to answer right away maybe a more appropiate question after I have had them longer. Though I have been spoiled some, because when I upgraded from the promedia 5.1 to the RF3, that was a huge step up and I had to pay $1000 to get that upgrade. Now I paid $800 to upgrade to the 7's there is definately not that big of an improvement as I had experienced before, but still an improvement. So if I had paid $1000 to upgrade them then I would of been a bit dissapointed. But since I only paid $800, I got the nice maple finish, a nice boost in bass, along with some better highs, so I would say it was pretty worth it.

But thats my humble opinion

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Good choice going with the RF-7's. Those are incredible speakers!!! I noticed you have a Yamaha Receiver. Have you noticed that the Klipsch speakers sound harsh or overly bright with it? I ask this because there have been a TON of people on the klipsch forum complaining how bright and harsh they are with any Yamaha receiver. I too have a Yamaha amp in my music system upstairs, and noticed my RB-3's sound pretty harsh when I moved them up there to try it out. Let me know if your experiencing the same.

3. Jorge UF

I read that same thing with the yamaha amps. I guess I am treble type of guy, so I enjoy that brightness. Ive never listened to klipsch threw any other reciever so I can't comment too much on that. THough I can tell you that my next upgrade will be the reciever.

4. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Those Klipsch can be pretty picky about what you power them with. I have the RF-3II, RC-3II, and RS-3II's. I was using a HTR-5280 as a pre/pro with a Parasound HCA-855a but I did briefly try out the Yamaha to see what it was like and I didn't think it sound good at all(at least not with the Klipsch). I recently sold it and I know use a HK AVR520 as a pre/pro. I tested these amp next to my Parasound and to my surprise, it sound remarkably similar(only at low to medium volumes). Basically I'm saying to check out HK receiver's when it's time for you to upgrade, they mate very well with Klipsch speakers.

If I had more money, the RF-7's would be my choice. Congrats on the new speakers!

5. Jorge UF

Seems that I have seen HK, Denon, and rotel rated very highly whith klipsch speakers. I will definately be giving them all a try. Thanks for the advice. By the way how did you use your yamaha as a pre/pro? Like how did you connect it?

6. Frank Carter

It's very simple to do. On the back of the receiver there are ouputs labeled for each channel. Simply take an RCA cable from the output on the receiver to the input on the amplifier. Do this for all channels and you're done. Like I mentioned before, I'm using a Parasound amp and it sounds very nice with Klipsch. Many other from the forum at www.klipsch.com use Parasound as well. You might want to check out Audiosource as well, I tested one(Amp Two) out briefly and it was quite a nice amp. Buy.com has some Audiosource Amp One's in their clearance section for $125/ea if you're interested.

Frank

7. Jorge UF

Your talking about the pre amp outputs right. I knew that, but my brain has been mush lately. By the way why did you switch your yamaha as a pre/pro? Furthermore why did you buy a reciever when you already had an amp?

8. Frank Carter

I bought a receiver because something has to do the DD or DTS processing. If you mean why did I replace one receiver with another receiver, it's becuase I wanted to try out Prologic II and I got from another member here for only $350. Even as a pre/pro, I like the HK better. Everything seems smoother and more dynamic.