What's new

My Infocus©4805 has arrived! (1 Viewer)

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
This thread is getting me all excited........
Ordered my 4805 and wont have it until next week.. screen wont be in for 2 or three more weeks......

Thanks for the screen shots Todd and cameron..

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
More pics...

Got "Torque"? kewl action flick until the chase scene gets to video game like in the high speed chase..I think the colors were a lil lighter in person, camera may have saturated them a little, IMHO.

Daman

Second Unit
my 4805 too arrived yesterday after a weeks wait and boy was it worth returning the x1 for 4805 :) I cannot see any rainbows Period. I tried watching some real dark scenes and also the black and white credits but am unable to reproduce the rainbows which i so frequently used to see on the x1. Im happy that i went in for it and thankful to all you on whoose advice i upgraded to 4805. The picture also seems a little more sharper than the x1 definetly. It has a native as well as a 4:3 mode but havent tried those out too much. Running the projector on default settings, anyone knows if theres a resource to set it up like there was for x1? The remote keys are backlit which is helpful too.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Where are you guys buying the 4805 from, best price,etc? I'm trying to find somewhere to view one. Thanks. You can PM me if it's against the rules.

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
It seems like most people over on AVS were buying from Crutchfield, TV Authority, and AV Science. I ended up ordering mine from a local dealer since he took the time to give me a nice demo (and I get to pick it up tomorrow ;) )

Daman

Second Unit
i ordered mine from a local dealer too- got a good deal for 1400 plus tax and shipping.. came to some 1490. He is an authorized dealer. You can order online from Crutchfield etc and get a similar deal for 1500( but i dont know if they add shipping to it or its free)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Got my 4805 from Tracy Murski @ ProjectorCenter.com, (Edited 7/20/2004 deal over, SORRY):emoji_thumbsup: :D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee

This is the function of the DVD player.

TVAuthority was running a pre-order special for HTF members at 1300.00 shipped. This deal lost a bit of its lustre when I learned I needed to get a 50.00 cable to use my D1 with DVI. Please note this had nothing to do with TVAuthority but InFocus using the M1 connector, not a simple DVI connector on the unit. The service with TVAuthority was excellent.

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered min thru a local dealer - for the price of 1500.00 out the door - Oh well.... Now I am still waiting... its going to take longer for my screen...

Built a frame to the size of the screen I ordered and used a white sheet (wife was just a wee bit turbed) doubled over.. should hold me till the screen gets here..

Dave Man

Stunt Coordinator
Daman,

What did you do with your X1? I've seen the 4805 at my local brick and mortar and would like to pick one up. I just don't know what the best course of action is on my X1.

Thanks,

David

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I think he returned it within the 30 day period.

You could probably sell your X1 for a good price on eBay or in the listings here. It's still a good option for someone needing 4:3 and not wanting to spend almost double for the 4805.

Daman

Second Unit
Dave, as Cameron said i returned it back in the 15 day period.. i would have definetly stuck with X1 had i not seen the rainbows.If you do want to got for 4805,I guess you can get a good price for your X1 at ebay as Cameron pointed out or you can also try posting in HTF Hardware Sale/Trade List and see if anyones interested to pick it up.. or you can put it in the bedroom :)

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
The 4805 seems to be a real hot item..... Seeing as mine will not be in till the 21st of July The place where I bought mine said "the people they get their equipment from sold out quick!!!"

But they did get two Zenith 318's in.

One quick question - What type of screens are those with the 4805 using?

Daman

Second Unit
Im using a self made styrofoam sheet which i painted with matte white paint - 8' X 4' (90" wide) and have hung up on the ceiling, plan to buy a proffesional screen after sometime, am happy with this as of now. here are a few pics of the screen(this was with X1- havent got a chance to click pics of 4805 in action yet)

Scene from ICE AGE

Scene from Spiderman 2 trailer

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I made a simple frame out of MDF and attached to it a sheet of Sintra, a semi-rigid PVC sign material available at any sign shop. My screen is 73" diagonal, 16:9, and the Sintra cost me about 35.00. The nice thing about Sintra is it can be easily cleaned (unlike foamcore or Gatorboard), is not easily damaged (unlike foamcore or styrofoam) and you don't have to mess with stretching it over a frame (like with blackout cloth or actual screen cloth). You can also paint it easily with the Goo product (a special screen paint) or the Behr silverscreen paint available at Home Depot. Does it sound too good to be true? Well, it sounds good and it's all true!

If you want to see a few photos, click on "My Gear" in my sig.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Sounds/looks like it was a lot of work Cam but it looks great. If I just mount it on a wall I don't have to fool with the MDF frame right?

edit- Also how does it compare to Do-able board? It seems it's acutally cheaper than Sintra but I'll go with whatever has better quality at those prices.

And Todd thanks for the referral, Tracy quoted me a price of $1329 shipped but I mentioned the price she gave you and she matched it! www.projectorcenter.com :emoji_thumbsup:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
If you're just mounting it on the wall then you don't need to build a frame to hold it, but you'll probably still want to make some kind of black border for it.

Determining the size was actually kind of funny. I made a frame for something like a 96" screen but then realized my car wasn't wide enough to fit the screen material (I was thinking of foamcore at the time). I should have thought about the size a little more, but it all worked out. The 73" is the perfect size for my viewing distance and it was the largest that could fit in my car (a Focus ZX5).

I was at the sign shop intending to get Gatorboard but they didn't have a clean piece of it that big. So then I asked about Sintra and I decided to give that a try. I'm glad I did! I haven't tried/seen the Do-able board. Again, I would have needed the 4X8 sheet cut down, which I assume Home Depot could do for you.

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
Oh man I got screwed on the price........ and I am still waiting...

I built a temp 75" diag screen in anticipation..

Link to photo's will be here later

I have a Dalite model B HDTV 67" x 37.5" video spectra 1.5 on order also....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks