1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My infamous JVC XV-501 just bit the dust... progressive DVD player options?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeF, Aug 4, 2001.

1. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator

My JVC XV-501 DVD player is toast. I'm actually surprised it has lasted this long (2+ years), given the surplus of truly negative reviews on audioreview.com.
    At this moment, I am contemplating the Malata, the JVC XV-S60, and the Panasonic RP-91. The JVC is certainly most appealing in terms of price ($200 USD for true progressive scan and MP3 playback capabilities) although I, needless to say, have developed something of an aversion to JVC DVD products.
    The Malata is about $90 more expensive than the JVC, though it seems like a small price to pay to add all-region playback capabilities and PAL>NTSC conversion. My only concern is the reliability of this particular model, although I'm not sure the JVC offers the stiffest competition around for reliability. [​IMG] My biggest reservation about the Malata is that the scaling of non-anamorphic signals for 16x9 displays is not automatic (not important to me, but handy for the technophobe family). I like that the Malata potentially has DVD-Audio capability (firmware permitting).
    The Panasonic comes highly reviewed but is more than twice the price of the JVC. I like the DVD-Audio capabilities, but am not sure I'm prepared to pay over $200 USD to get them. The audio remastering feature sounds interesting but gimmicky.
    Anyone have anything to add here? I'm leaning towards the Malata at this moment, but am intrigued as to why so many people are picking the Panasonic.
    ------------------
    My oh so exciting DVD collection.

2. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

Just get another JVC or Panasonic and an extended warranty at SEARS or Circuit City for about $60. If it fails on you, you can trade it for a different player within 3 years for almost free. JVC and Panasonic both have their share of negative reviews.

3. JerryHatchett

JerryHatchett Stunt Coordinator

I'm running JVC's new S65 Progressive Scan player and am quite happy with it. $249
    Do note that MP3 playback is available only through the analog outputs.

4. MikeF

MikeF Stunt Coordinator