What's new

My in-wall speaker audition (1 Viewer)

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
After reading this board and sucking up as much information as possible, I dedicated last weekend to auditioning the following in-wall systems:

SpeakerCraft 8.8MT

Sonance 843

DefTech UIW75

Paradigm SA-30

B&W signature 7NT

Klepsch

Missing from the list are Thiel (b/c the only dealer in Phoenix did not have any available to audition) and Triad - same reason. They were also very expensive. My budget for 6 speakers (no sub) was $2500.

I also wanted to keep the size of the in-walls to a maximum of 15" x 10" -- which eliminated three driver speakers made by Kef, Phase Technology, and other quality speakers.

My favorite was the B&W Signature 7NT, followed very closely by the Paradigm SA-30. Problem is that the B&W put me over budget by $200; the Paradigms are well within budget at $2200.

I'm not an avid audiophile, but I do have a good ear for distinguishing speakers. I played the same music through each speaker. I felt that B&W had a warm, rich sound to it, while still providing crispness to high notes. Same with Paradigm, but just not quite as warm feeling.

The Speaker Craft and Def Tech did not stand out at all. To me, the sound was bland coming from these speakers. And although the salesperson hyped the pivoting tweeter in the Speaker Craft, I noticed that the amount of pivot is not enough to aim the tweeter at my listening area. I also heard opinions (from salesmen of non-pivoting speakers) that the pivot did not help very much and was a "marketing gimmic." In any event I did not like the sound from either the Speaker Craft or Def Tech -- or rather I did not like it as much as B&W.

Klepsch was very bright, flat, fatiguing, etc. Nearly all the negative adjectives I've read came to mind.

I hope this can help someone else. If anyone has any questions, I have info about nearly every high end in-wall speaker out there and will be happy to direct you to the websites.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I'm am window shopping for 3 inCEILING surrounds for my rears.........so I found this interesting reading.
I'm getting a 6.1/7.1 preamp upgrade this summer, and want to see what it takes to go 6.1 w/ the spouse-acceptance-factor. Tiny little Energy Take 5s in the back just aint cutting it, but more serious rears are heavily frowned upon. :frowning:

Bob Conaway

Auditioning
Marshall

I have been doing a lot of research on the web as well amd found your review extremely interesting. Particularly since I was leaning toward the SpeakerCraft.

Thanks very much for the review, saves me some time

Bob Conaway

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
Bob - I live in Phoenix and we've probably visited the same stores. I can give you some more detail if you'd like to email me directly. SpeakerCraft is sold nearly everywhere in the valley.

mc - I am also putting in in-ceiling surrounds in my rears - specifically the B&W CCM80. Since the in-ceiling are round, the mesh well with recessed light cans in the ceiling.

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Marshall,

Since you are going in-ceiling in the rears, care to share anything you've learned while auditioning? One of the things I'm struggling with in understanding is how in-ceiling speakers can give a consistent sound if they have an open-back, non-enclosed speakering using the entire attic as an enclosure. Are the in-ceiling speakers designed to take this into account??

Happy Hunting!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Where can I audition these german Klepsch speakers. jk

If your willing, I've had success buying and selling pre-owned audio/video equiptment on ebay. If you buy auctioned components you'll be able to buy better and save money.

Got my favorite jbl speakers for 60% off retail and I didn't have to pay tax, just $27 fedex S&H.

just a suggestion.

BobL

Agent
You might want to give Atlantic Technology's system 20 THX a listen as well. I know the street prices would meet your budget.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Klepsch?? Are these clones to the renowned Klipsch Speakers?? hmm, must have missed them when I bought my reference Klipsch's.

Marshall Sander

Stunt Coordinator
mc - I don't know the answer to your question. my ceiling is peaked (no attic) and I did not consider your issue.

cam s - a little late on the "klepsch" "klipsh" joke. Chris beat you to it 2 posts above.

RogerB

Second Unit
Let us know how they sound once you get them in your ceiling. You may long for those bright horns after all....

Bry_DD

Second Unit
I was thinking of going this route before (in-walls speaker) but when I saw and heard the B&W LM1 I bought them instead of the in-walls. you might wanna take a look at them too. Hope that helps.

Bry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks