My Impressions on SACD..

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joe Tilley, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

I cannot believe how impressive SACD is. I finally got the new Sony DVP-CX985V player last week & up to this point have cared less about SACD. First off to start I wasn't worried at all about even trying it out but I figured what the hell. I used some cheepy cables & tryed out the Bob Dylan cd that came with the unit. As Much as I hate Bob Dylan I was somewhat impressed with how it sounded. So I ended picking up Three Doors Down Away from the Sun. Since it was a hybrid I figured I wasn't out anything if I didn't like it, & I would always be able to play it in my regular cd player if so. Now this is where I started getting interested & decided to make up some good cables. It is still kinda weird sounding to me since I'm used to using an eq and having the mid & treble up some, but over all the sound is very smooth & pleasing. One of the first things I noticed with the Three Doors Down cd was the separation. It is absolutely awsom. I noticed much more detail in things like cymbal crashes,& guitar, & the vocals come through absolutely perfect. I set & listened for a while & just couldn't believe some of what I heard.
    So finally today I picked up the Roger Waters In the flesh cd, & can now say I am hooked. First off if you have an SACD player & you don't have this disk, you owe it to yourself to get it. This CD alone I think has sold me. It is one of the best sounding Pink Floyd CD's I think I have ever heard. I just set back in the easy chair & couldn't believe how awsom this disk sounded. I love live recordings & this one blowes away anything I have listened to yet. I think this mix is perfect, from the music on the disk, to the way it was produced.
    Anyway those are just my quick rambling thoughts. I went from sceptical, to what disk can I get next. I'm absolutely hooked now.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jim_Lan

Jim_Lan Agent

I'm also considering giving h rez a shot.. What CD player and receiver were you using before you switched?

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Joe, you may not have heard any of the really well recorded SACD's yet? Try Joe Satriani's STRANGE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC or Jorma Kaukonen's BLUE COUNTRY HEART or Spyra Gyra's ORIGINAL CINEMA or any DSD recorded disc. Trust me, it gets better. [​IMG]

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Jim, I'm using a Sony STR-DA5ES receiver. My regular CD player is a Sony CDP-CX400, & I'm using Polk RT55i's for fronts, rears, & rear surrounds, a CS400I center, & my sub is a 220 liter sono tuned at 17hz using a Dayton DVC 15" & PE plate amp. I say give SACD a try if you haven't yet, I'm loven it so far & never thought I would.

Rachael, I've never heard of any of those you mentioned but I may just have a look. Something I would like to see in SACD is Enigma. If you never heard of them they are more instrumental type music. It's supposed to be monks or something to that effect if I rember correctly. But none the less they have some very interesting & good music, & I think SACD would be an awsom format for them.

5. Nick Zender

Nick Zender Auditioning

I was the same way and was pretty impressed I especially love Pink Floyd DSOTM.
    But after reading many posts on audio sites regarding the aix discs. I finally broke down and ordered a couple.

Now I have been aware of these for quite some time and visited the web site often but just felt they were to damn expensive and could never pull the trigger.

I finally did the other day and my disks arrived yesterday, so far I have only listened to the demo disk and I was blown away.
    These are double sided hybrids and have tons of info as well as tutorials on audio setup and some tests.
    The mixes are awesome and the sound quality is unreal.
    You owe it to yourself to check these out well worth every penny.
    I ordered Nitty Gritty Surround and the new Christmas mix and then got the demo disk free.
    I think it came to around $56.
    I may try the blues next.
    Check them out www aixrecords com
    Thanks to all for posting love reading everybodys opinions etc...
    Ape
    Nick Zender

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Joe, go to:

www.acousticsounds.com

Click on SACD and they have the discs sorted out by single-layer stereo, hybrid-stereo, Single-layer M/C, ect....and DSD recorded discs. Look for a title you'd like off that list. There's more jazz and classical, I'm sure, but I bet you could find something.

Joe S. is a hotshot guitarist. Jorma K. was guitarist for Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna. Spyra Gyro is a fusion group that's been around since the late 70's, IMO, they're better than ever.

I'm not saying discs sourced from analog or PCM tapes can't sound great, but DSD recorded discs are, potentially, the very best. Best wishes![​IMG]

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

I thought AIX records only produced DVD-As.[​IMG]

8. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

only the music matters [​IMG] SACD/DVDA/CD are just a means to an end

9. David_Beamish

David_Beamish Auditioning

I prefer DVD-A to SACD, unfortunately there does appear to be a better SACD catalogue. Still theres a few decent DVD-As coming out before Christmas.

10. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Joe,

If you like jazz female vocals try Jacintha's Autumn Leaves. It's source is an analog 30 IPS recording. And it sounds 3D.

But I do agree that the newest DSD recordings are sublime. Telarc is a leader in this field as well as others.

Rachael is indeed correct about DSD and Jorma. You might want to give Alison Krause's Live in Louisville set a pin. It is live DSD and is very good. Most of the set sounds like the studio. This speaks to the quality of the musicians as well.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, congrats.! Glad to hear you are having fun with SACD! Not to play devil's advocate, but have done some comparisons of the 'CX400 and 'CX985V with CDs? I have no doubt that your elation is due to the SACD format, but I also have to think that you are using a decidedly better audio component now.

If you like Steely Dan, get the Gaucho SACD. Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble Couldn't Stand the Weather is also a winner. There are loads of others!