My IF 4805 has created a problem for me...but a very cool problem.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Inspector Hammer!, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I just got around to placing my newly arrived Infocus 4805 on the shelf that was formerly occupied by the X-1 and quickly peformed a quick and dirty installation until I can devote more time to installing it into my system.

I hooked it to my player through the componants and, first off, was blown away by the image coming out of this thing, a vast improvement over the X-1! [​IMG] Anyway, here's where my cool/depressing problem arose...the 4805 throws a larger image than the X-1 from that distance, by at least 3" on top and 4" on either side! [​IMG][​IMG]

I use my wall that I modified by sanding and painting it, with black borders and curtains and it's currently at 96" 16x9 diagonal (the maximum size the X-1 could offer at that distance), now though, after I rebuild my screen again this weekend [​IMG] (that's why i'm depressed, that's a lot of work), i'm looking at at least a 101-102" image.

Oh well, on the plus side, there are far worse things in this hobby to complain about than having a larger HT display I suppose. [​IMG]

I honestly can't wait to get this done, The image quality of the 4805 is awesome...and I still haven't watched my King Kong dvd so that will most definitely be the cherry-popper when i'm finished. [​IMG]

2. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

You're making me want to buy a 4805 with a post like that. I'm considering buying on and it'd be connected to a Panny XP30 via components.

Things that make you go hmmmmmm. Tax return comes soon. If I don't invest it this year I may get a PJ!

3. Adam Bluhm

What DVD player do you have connected? I'll be getting a 4805 possibly next week and have read a ton of info at the avsforum regarding the Bravo D1 and the 4805. It sounds like almost the perfect DVD player. If they could make it reliable I'm sure it could sell for $300+. I may drop the money on it and try the cap and loader mods to make it reliably functional.

We'll see how it looks when connected to my Panny XP30 first.

4. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Adam,
    at the moment i'm running a Sony DVP-NS50P, which is your everyday progressive scan player, however i'm planning on upgrading to an Oppo upconverting player which I read is also very good when paired with the 4805.

It makes sense, both the Oppo and the 4805 feature Faroudia DCDi packages and would compliment each other nicely. [​IMG]

I say go for it. [​IMG]

5. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

For the most part you can use any DVD player with a 4805 and it will look great. If it is a progressive scan make sure that your DVD player is outputting a 480i signal. The Faroudja in the 4805 is far superior than most deinterlacers in a DVD player.

6. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

This is not the case........they do not compliment each other AFAIK.....it is one or the other.

7. Adam Bluhm

That's what I thought. When I purchased my Panasonic XP30 a few years ago it had some of the best guts for the money, if I remember correctly. The picture looks great on my Sony Trinitron 27". This projector will be quite the upgrade and it will be the first time I send any progressive signal to something that can handle it. I'll try it first by sending a progressive signal from the Panny with components and then try the other way around.

If I'm not happy I could always try the Bravo, but I don't see that happening. If I did try the Bravo it'd be for the pure fun of opening the unit, making modifications and seeing the beauty of 1:1 mapping that everyone raves about. But until I actually see that with my own eyes, I'm sure the Panasonic to the Infocus will woo me. [​IMG]

8. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I was doing the 1:1 mapping but ultimately went to running an interlaced signal. I've been doing that for awhile now but may try the 1:1 again to see if I can see the difference. The D1 is pretty quirky though. Sometimes I have to reload the disc or power cycle the player a couple times before it will get up and going, and that's an improvement after a loader replacement!