my HT system, questions, mistakes

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Szczyrbak, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Greg Szczyrbak

Greg Szczyrbak Auditioning

I am currently purchasing items for my first HT system. Made a few mistakes already. Should have joined up here earlier.
    First, I bought speakers without listening to them. I still haven't heard them. Sometime in the next 2 weeks after I move, I'll find out what they sound like. I basically made my decision on the name - Acoustic Research, and price - closeout.
    Speaking of moving. The family room, (i.e. HT room) in the new house is big, not huge, but not small either (25X15). I didn't really account for this in my selections, even though I knew about the size of the room when I started my purchasing spree.
    So here it is:
    4 AR 215 Bookshelf - front and surrounds
    1 AR PSC25 center channel
    Yamaha RX-V520 Receiver - their cheapest that has S-video. I think I made a good choice here considering my budget. Got it on closeout too at Tweeter.
    Still need subwoofer, DVD, and TV (may be awhile before I upgrade the TV though)
    For the sub, I have no idea what to get, but don't want to spend more than $150 - I know its not much, but I did mention a budget and it is my first HT system.
    For the DVD player, I am considering a Toshiba SD3750
    For the TV, I want a 24" flat screen. Also looking at Toshiba for this, possibly Sony if I can find one on sale.
    Question about mounting the speakers. I did a bunch of searches and looking around and answered lots of my questions, but I still have one more. I need to double-check, but I don't think my speakers come with any provision for wall mounting. Considering the layout of the room, I think this may be my best option for the rears. Any suggestions for mounting on the wall. Is it advisable to use universal mounts and drill screws into the back of the speaker?
    [​IMG]
    Another question, If I get a DVD that has both COAX and optical digital audio outputs, shoudl I choose just one when I hook this into my receiver?
    Same for Video input/output, should I use just on or the ohter - either RCA or S-video? Or should I hook 'em both up?
    Sorry so long, and for the dumb questions.
    TIA,
    Greg

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Greg,
    Welcome to the forum!

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hi Greg. Welcome to HTF!
    On the room size issue - dont worry.
    A traditional 2-channel music system tries to fill the room with sound. But with a HT system, you surround yourself with speakers focused on .. you. What happens at the far end of the room tends to not matter.
    If anything, having space behind/around the speakers is better.
    For the sub: The Sony SWMA40 from Sears/Best Buy is about $160.
    You might want to check out www.cheaphometheater.com . They specalize in budget electronics and speakers.
    Hope this helps.

4. Greg Szczyrbak

Greg Szczyrbak Auditioning

Damn,

I've been reading the board some more. I probably made some more mistakes. Oh well, live and learn. I haven't actually received my receiver yet, though I paid for it. Maybe I can return it.

First Mistake - Yamaha receiver - bright, AR speakers - bright, system - too damn bright. Haven't confirmed that yet with my own ears though.

Second mistake - if I stick with Yamaha Receiver, I should have gotten the v620, rather than the v520. More of an upgrade than I realized for not that much more money.

I get the receiver on Monday, Maybe I'll return it, Maybe I won't.

Greg