my HT setup (diagram)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasonKrol, Sep 5, 2001.

1. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

hey everyone,
    I was wondering if you all could checkout a diagram I drew up of my HT. Im still waiting for my Toshiba 50H81 to arrive, so while I eagerly wait, I decided to map out the way Im going to set everything up. Im sure that in your expertise you will find "holes" and flaws in my design. But I appreciate any comments!!
    thanks!!
    visit: http://members.home.net/jkat16 to see my current HT website. (basically the only thing up is the diagram)
    thanks again!
    ------------------
    - Jason
    My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
    "what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Jason- OK, I'll bite!
    1) I would do coax from the DVD player to the receiver. But I'm assuming you're doing optical because you have limited inputs on the Sony and/or you can only do coax from your cable box and/or game machines. I think the perception is that you avoid 1 or 2 extra conversions with coax vs optical (DVD is an optical format, but it typically gets converted back to electrical inside the player, then back to optical for that output, then back to electrical in the receiver, then post processed into analog.)
    2) Why have the RCA cable output from the receiver to the TV? You already have the direct (good!) component cable connection from your DVD player to the TV. You're using RCA cable video for the VCR/cable box/game machine outputs and the receiver to "switch" them?
    3) You must be more of a video (game) nut! You don't have the most important part detailed: the individual connections to the speakers! (Although that isn't as "involved" as all the video connections you have going on!)
    [​IMG]
    ------------------

3. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

hey, thanks for the info!!
    the reason I have the RCA going to the tv is because I will be switching VCR/Games/Cable from the Receiver (basically using the receiver as the sound always)
    thanks again though for the feedback!!
    I appreciate it!
    ------------------
    - Jason
    My DVD Collection | My Home Theater
    "what ya got here is two people dragging a third..."