What's new

My HT cabling layout... 1100x800 pic inside. (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I decided to create a layout of how I have all my equipment connected. Whenever I unhook everything when I do a major cleaning job, I always forget exactly how I had everything hooked up. So decided to create this handy guide for myself.
Any input on changing my cables around? I confused myself with the digital cable and the splitter. I think it has to do with my TV's Picture-in-picture, but I don't remember. Also, I noticed the picture quality is degraded when running through my VCR. I don't understand this because both my digital cable and VCR use composite outputs. Could the VCR's be of lesser quality?
Also, I depending on the source, I have to change inputs on both TV and Reciever. Luckily I programmed my remote to do all that for me. :D
Link Removed
EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR
That's a monster image size-wise. Also bigger than the 40K image limit. Changed to URL link.
--Jay

GarryW

Stunt Coordinator
Great idea Mike!
At first glance it reminds me of one of those London subway maps!;)

Dave Pobuda

Stunt Coordinator
Thats a great idea,what program did you use to make the diagram? I would like to do one of those myself:D

Eddie Wimberly

Stunt Coordinator
What do you mean by the scrambled/unscrambled stuff in the diagram? I have a digital cable box, and I remember reading something about my VCR having the ability to unscramble cable TV when going through the VCR. Would I be able to get HBO and stuff for free if I ran my cable through my VCR?

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Gary & Dave, thanks. I used Corel Draw 10 to create the diagram.
Eddie, scrambled cable means it doesn't go through the decorder, so I can not view pay channels, like HBO. But I get all the basic cable channels. Hence, it's scrambled, or encoded. Unscrambled means it went through my digital cable box and I can now view my pay (HBO package)channels. I use the cable box's OUT to the VCR's IN, so I get to see pay channels through my VCR, and record any of the shows on the pay channels. The VCR must be on channel 4 (in my case) to view the digital cable. I don't use the VCR's tuner, since it can only recieve basic cable, like my TV.
Have I confused you? :)

The PIP on the TV will work with one source in the PIP, and the RF in the other or vice-versa. I never really found myself PIP'ing much...(one More letter and I could be in trouble)...
I've also gone a bit nuts documenting my cabling...however I used Visio...and even started making stencils.
If anyone is interested in the stencils for Visio 2000 or Visio 5, check out:
Link Removed
Any improvements or additions most welcomed...

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I considered using Visio... got it from my MCSE classes, but decided to use Corel Draw since some of our engineer's at work use it. Since I'm the do-all computer guy, once in a while I'll make quick (and for 1 pc incompetent, not so quick) changes for them. So, this was a nice project for me to get more familiar with the program.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
If you move things around, might I suggest you label each wire. Start with A, then B, ... Dont bother to encode audio vs video, just make each cable unique. Then put little letters next to each wire on your diagram.

Suggestion 2: Standardize on SVideo - Go to Radio Shack and buy one of those little Composite-to-SVideo adaptors for the VCR and CATV box. Also, run a SVideo cable from the DVD player to the receiver as well.

Now you just have to leave the TV looking at the SVideo feed to see everything. This makes the system simple for the family.

The only extra step you need to take is to flip to the component input when watching a DVD for the better picture.

Mark Austin

Supporting Actor
I wonder where this fits in the 10% rule?

Very nice layout. It makes it tons easier to see what's going on.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Bob,

What's the advantage to running all S-Video? As far as I see, it's just one less cable going from reciever to TV. I wouldn't gain in picture quality, would I? Also, I'm single, so I don't need to worry too much about simplicity. I've taught my girlfriend how to use the remote for digital cable, and she caught on.

Now that I look at it, I could run my cable video/audio out to the VCR's Line In (I didn't put them in the diagram), then set the VCR to Line-In. I'd be able to get rid of the coax cable, and be able to record from Line In. Also, I'd be able to free up Video 2 on my reciever. The negatives though, are that I'd have to have the VCR on each time I want to watch TV, and as I mentioned above, the picture quality would be degraded.

Mark,

What's the 10% rule?

likestowatch

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, great diagram. why are you sending the tv's audio back to the receiver, though(lavender line)?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The advantage is ease-of-use. By only accepting SVideo inputs, the TV stays locked on the SVideo output from the receiver.

For your own use, this is not important. But for someone who comes home to a frustrated wife who could not play a favorite tape for the child (because she forgot to change both the TV input and Receiver source), its important. (Imagine the next time the husband wants to add a new item: "Heck no! That system is already too complicated!").

It is unusual that the signal is degraded when routing through the VCR. Could you possiably have a bad cable or loose-fitting connection somewhere?

The 10% rule: Mark is refering to other posts where I recommend buying cables that are roughly 10% of the price of the equipment it is connecting.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Todd, thanks. I send the TV's audio back to the reciever because when I hook up my Dreamcast or Gamecube, I run their AV cables into the TV as well. Also, if I watch TV through the TV's tuner (scrambled), the sound will go through the reciever.

Bob,

I see... but my WEGA automatically selects the cable with the signal, so that's not too much of an issue.

I use mostly Monster Cables throughout my system and have a AR as well. I beleive the VCR is hooked up via Monster, but I'll have to double check.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks