My Homicide Set has Shipped But I've seen no Online Reviews

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Scarpa, May 23, 2003.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    What Gives?

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I guess A&E doesn't send out screeners. The set has actually been publicly available since early May exclusively at A&E's website, but at full list price.

3. Michael Harris

Michael Harris Screenwriter

A good interview with Tom Fontana, Homicide's writer and producer can be heard on NPR's Fresh Air.

4. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Entertainment Weekly has a brief review in this week's ish. Not really the kind of review HT-philes are looking for, but they do give it an A-.

BTW I saw 2 of the bo sets at my local Best Buy earlier this week. Didn't pick it up yet; I still owe Hi-Fi Buys too much money.[​IMG]

5. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

6. Rob P S

Rob P S Screenwriter

rob
    Are the episodes in the correct order or the order that NBC aired them?

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I thought the sequence in which NBC originally aired the episodes is the correct order?

Crawdaddy

8. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

The PR reads:

"Now, HOMICIDE debuts on DVD with this collector's set featuring all 13 episodes from the first two seasons, in order of sequence in which Barry Levenson intended the show to air!"

NBC did in fact show two episodes noticeably out of sequence creating some continuity problems - the final episode of series 1 was supposed to be SMOKE GETS IN YOUR EYES, finishing with Ned Beatty singing over his beer in a bar - but it became the penultimate episode (8th) while an earlier episode NIGHT OF THE DEAD LIVING, which was supposed to be shown third but which got bumped as it was felt to be too slowly paced (and there's no crime - it's just the squad getting antsy during a slow summer day), ended up being shown last (9th) instead.

Also, Season 2 (all four episodes of it!) began with the Robin Williams episode BOP GUN which got huge ratings, but it was actually meant to be shown last - the PR on the DVD says that they're going to be in the order as "originally intended", although one just needs to know really - love the series though I do, I don't plan on having a ten hour marathon even when my box set actually arrives - and I assume that they're spread out over a few discs...

The commentary sounds good though - and really, HOMICIDE, especially in its first 13 episodes, with its amazing array of character actors, desaturated colours, disorientationg editing and ultra-sharp dialogue, probably remains the best American cop show I've ever seen.

CAN'T WAIT TO WATCH THEM ALL AGAIN!

9. Craig: Mclaren

Craig: Mclaren Second Unit

I love cop/crime shows but Homicide was buried in a graveyard slot here in the UK [​IMG]
    Is it worth checking out? My fav cop/crime shows are "The Shield","C.S.I", "The Equalizer", "Miami Vice", "NYPD Blue" (first three seasons) "The Sweeney" and "Starsky and Hutch". [​IMG]

10. Sergio A

Sergio A Stunt Coordinator

If you like THE SHIELD and the early series of NYPD BLUE then you'll love HOMICIDE - it's essentially a character based show, full of eccentric and often dark humour, which eschews traditional TV violence in favour of psychological suspense - the plots aren't really what the show is about, but the stories are intriguing but usually based in human behaviour rather than the outlandish logic that is usually seen on TV cop shows.

But then, I am a bit biased...

11. Mike Graham

Mike Graham Supporting Actor

This is by far the best series to come out of American commerical network television. Anyone who enjoyed the gritty reality aspect of The Shield and NYPD Blue will enjoy it. There are some episodes, like "Three Men and Adena" (that'll be featured on this first box set) and season three's "Croisetti" that are some of the best hours of television produced.

Speaking of the airing schedule, many of the first season episodes were shown out of order, a trend that even continued in the third and fourth seasons, which was very problematic for the show considering it's so serialized; each episode that proceeds needs to be seen to understand what's going to happen. I certainly hope my local retailers carry this set next week, because I've been waiting for it since I first bought my DVD player 2 and a half years ago.

12. MikeSilver

MikeSilver Stunt Coordinator

After the first time I watched "Three Men and Adena" I felt that I had seen the best hour of television that I would ever see. That episode also made me go out and buy David Simon's book and read it cover to cover.

13. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

k, here's my quick review:

Video looks bad, as though there's something over the screen. This isn't grain, because it never moves, and is less distracting than grain is. Sometimes the actors (usually the African-American actors) become lost in the dark backgrounds. 6/10

The menus, packaging and extras are nice (I need to finish going through the extras tonight). I hope to have a full review done for tomorrow or Wednesday.

Gord

14. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Thanks for the brief review, Gord. Is the video worse than broadcast quality?

15. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

16. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I drove many miles to get this this morning at Best Buy, and I've gotten through the first disc of episodes. I can see what Gord is talking about with the video, but I think he makes it sound worse than it is. It's definitely tolerable. Audio is fine as well, but that's judging from my 3-piece Altec Lansing computer speaker system. I do have one major problem, and that's that there are no subtitles or even closed captions. Sometimes it's hard to hear what some of the cast is saying, and I'd sure like to know. There were closed captions when they were broadcast, why skimp on them on the DVD?

17. David Brent

David Brent Stunt Coordinator

Hallmark began repeats of Homicide in the UK last year, and I can remember being shocked at how dark and grainy it looked.

It seems this was just the look of the series when it began, getting clearer in subsequent seasons.

David

18. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Bring on Season 3!

I wonder if the grain is caused by the transfera. It reminds me of when we transfered film to video back in college. If you weren't carefule you would get an image of the wall or screen underneath the video.

I've seen this on a few other transfers to DVD but no titles come to mind immediately.

19. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I've just finished watching Season 1 (first three discs.) I found that the first episode had the grain problem, and that the following were nowhere near as bad, so maybe it was a choice by the director of that episode (the guiest directors really put their own personal stamp on this series, wait until you see the Steve Busceime episodes in future seasons!) It dosn't distract from the show at all though, and I don't think it should sway anyone from purchasing this set.

20. Michael St. Clair

Has the MUSIC been preserved???