My Home Theater (work in progress)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by BrandonR, Jul 12, 2003.

1. BrandonR

BrandonR Stunt Coordinator

Here are some pictures of what I hope will be my home theater. I plan on using a front projector. Because of the bar in the back of the room I don't think I will have enough room for two rows of seating so I will be going with the one couch. From my front wall (screen) to my couch is 12' do I have room to but some chairs in or move the couch up and put seats behind it?

Looking to spend about $1500 on projector and screen. I know the projector is going to run around $1100 to $1200. Any suggestions on where to get a screen?

Ron if you see these pictures tell me what you think about where the projector can/should be placed. Also what did you do to cover the front of your air conditioning unit?

Brandon R.

http://myweb.cableone.net/brandonrid...OMETHEATER.HTM

2. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Looks like a great start.

3. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Brandon,

Looking good! Please keep us updated via pictures on your continual work in progress. So is he now living in your home theater? You could probably just build around him, while hes sleeping [​IMG]

4. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Recommendations for screen.

1. DIY with sheetrock, curtain blackout or other material
    2. Dalite, Draper or Stewart.
    I went with sheetrock.
    If I was going to purchase a real screen, I would have gotten a Dalite.

5. BrandonR

Ok I have updated my web page click the link above to check it out.

I put some screen shots up using my new Sony VPL-VW11HT. Still having some seating issues thinking of putting the back couch on a riser and finding something to use for seating in front. The only problem with that is I really would like to stretch out while watching a movie. I thought about just buying several bean bag chairs and tossing them in front of the couch but I don't know how comfortable that would be.

Has any one tried this? I was thinking cutting another hole in the wall and putting my subwoofer which is already sealed in its own box and powered inside an additional box with only the port side of the sub firing into the theater. Would this increase the bass my sub makes. I have plenty of room to do this since it's just a storage area on the other side of the wall.

Any thoughts or comments always welcome.

6. DavidVT

Brandon,

Things are looking very very good! Only question I have is the ceiling fan... Via the pics, it looks as if the fan is too close to the projector support pole and will hit it if the fan is turned on. Is this the case? If so, not a good idea. Eventually, someone will turn on the fan and damage it, the support, or PJ. I would highly recommend removing the fan, or at least disconnecting it via the switch.

The riser is the way to go for the rear seating, cheap to build and adds to the overall look and enjoyment of the patrons of your theater. My wife wanted beanbags, but I convinced her that it would look tacky. We had two leather LAZboy recliners which worked well in there and bought a cheapo third seat from BB for the center of the front row.

I cannot answer the sub question as I have not done this, or even heard a set-up that has had this done. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in

BTW, the colors will look superb

7. BrandonR

David, the fan is close but it does not hit. I will be removing the lights from the fan once I get some sconces for the room.

Do you sit in you front or rear seating? My seating is currently 13' from the screen. My screen is 100' I not sure I want to sit closer than that and that is as far back as I can go.

Brandon R.

8. DavidVT

Brandon,

Thats good news about the fan. I usually sit in the back, but when I have guests over I sit in the front row. My back row is approximately 15' from the screen, with the front row about 11-12' I could move the front row back some, but then I couldnt recline the back row. My screen is a DIY 4X8

9. BrandonR

OK here it is guys. I'm about 95% done. I pulled the bar out and put in 2 theater seats. Thanks for the advice Driftwood Theater and Ecinema. I will be putting curtains up and finish the small decorative touches. If anybody has a good idea for a name please let me know. Hope you like we do.

http://myweb.cableone.net/brandonri...HOMETHEATER.HTM

Brandon R

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Brandon, you ahve the same projector that I am currently using. [​IMG]

11. BrandonR

Neil, I know. Did you do tweak yours in anyway?

Brandon

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Just had the grayscale done. Eventually, I would like to darken the room (walls, ceiling etc).