My Home Theater Setup... Opinions Please?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ShaunT, Feb 2, 2002.

1. ShaunT

ShaunT Extra

Hey all, as you can see I'm a newbie here and I just got a system. In fact it's not even here yet. I got it all off of Ubid for a steal at least I think I did. Anyway, here is what I have:
    Receiver - Denon AVR-1602 ($235 on Ubid)
    Fronts - Wharfedale Modus 1.6 ($114 a piece on Ubid)
    Rears - Wharfedale Diamond Anniversary ($49 a piece on Ubid)
    The stuff above is what I have. What do you all think?
    For my center I want to get the Wharfedale Modus Music Center Channel, and for the Sub I want either the Wharfedale Topaz 10" or the DLS 10" that everyone is talking about on this board. What do you guys think about my options for my center chan and sub? I'm in college so my budget is pretty tight, but it's a good thing that I have a decent job to cover what I want to get.
    BTW, I also have a Sony 27" Wega and a Toshiba SD3750 DVD player if you guys were curious.
    Anyway, your opinions are very welcome as I want feedback on whether or not you guys think my setup will sound good!! Thanks!! [​IMG]

2. itai

itai Stunt Coordinator

shaun
    sounds good to me! denon and warfdale are great names so you'll probably enjoy it!
    good first time HT set man! tell us how it sounds when u get it.
    [​IMG]

3. George V

George V Extra

Sounds good...

I made modifications to the DLS 10" Sub if you decide to go that way. If you do get it...let me know and I'll tell you what I did to make it sound better.

4. ShaunT

ShaunT Extra

Hey George, yeah I think I'm going to go the DLS way because it is a lot cheaper. What modifications did you make to it to make it sound better? Thanks for you help.

5. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Shaun,

Sounds like a good starter system. That's how I started three years ago and I've been upgrading bits and pieces as I went along.

Have fun with your new system.

Patrick

6. George V

George V Extra

AFTER you get the DLS sub, email me. It will be much better for both of us when you have the sub in front of you for me to explain! I've made a few different mods...all are sealed options, not ported like the original. They all require box modifications and would void your warranty, just so you know, but I think the bass is much cleaner and lifelike.
    I don't always look at this forum...try to post for my attention first...if you don't hear from me in a day or two then email me.
    [email protected]

7. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Shaun. You picked up a 1602 on UBID? Wow. Was it new or a reburb? I love my 1602.

8. ShaunT

ShaunT Extra

Hey Johnson, yeah I got it on Ubid as a refurb, but for $235 I don't really care how much it costs!! [​IMG]

9. ShaunT

ShaunT Extra

Ubid also had good prices on the Denon 1802 and other higher models.

10. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Yeah. I just went & looked. They have 3 1802's going right now under $200, even a couple 4802's going for 1400.

Have you had any problems with the unit yet? I would (well im not wishing you bad luck or anything) like to see how denon would handle a problem. Or do you have to deal with ubid?

11. ShaunT

ShaunT Extra

I haven't had a problem yet. They seem to be pretty good, and the reviews about ridiculous shipping prices from audioreview.com seeem to be wrong, cause they haven't charged me with any outrageous prices yet. Their website has a pretty good tracking system, and even though I haven't gotten my stuff yet, they seem to be good about telling you what stage your orders are in. Since the auctions I won are Ubid auctions and not from some guy, they are all backed and have warrantees. The speakers I got are backed by iagamerica.com who resells Wharfedales, and I hear they are really good about helping their customers out. One guy got defective speakers, wrote iagamerica.com and then got new ones in the mail within 2 weeks, no questions asked. They even sent him return shipping labels and paid for the return of his defective speakers!

12. EricHaas

EricHaas Supporting Actor

Yeah, Ubid also had 3 3801's up last week that went for $489 apiece. Refurbed with a 90-day factory warranty. Since the 3801 is identical to the 3802 but without PLII, I'd say that you can get some good deals off Ubid.

13. ShaunT

ShaunT Extra

Alright, I asked in the speakers forum, but no one replied. I was wondering how to hook up speakers bi-wired? I think that's the right term. Anyway, the speakers I got have two inputs on the back, I assume for highs and lows. Is it possible using my Denon 1602 receiver to hook up all the inputs on my speakers? I'm not quite sure how that works. Thanks a lot guys for your input.

14. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Bi-wiring is just hooking up two separates pairs of speaker cable from the receiver outputs to each pair of binding posts on the back of the speakers. You must remember to remove the shorting bars or whatever they have on them to make the two sets of binding posts separate. And you are right that one is for the highs and the other is for the lows.

If this is worthwhile or not has been debated quite a bit.

Patrick

15. ShaunT

ShaunT Extra

Does each separate pair of speaker cable from the amp have to be from separate outputs? I'm pretty sure my amp only has 2 outputs for the front, 2 for the rear, and 1 sub pre-out. How does this work? So it won't necessarily make a big difference if I hook it up bi-wired?

16. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

You will run two sets of wire from each of your front R/L.

Bi-wiring can be extremely beneficial and the Wharfedales are built for it. Let us know how the 1.6's work out. I have heard they can be more location sensitive due to a) the dual porting (1 rear) and b) the swiveling tweeter. Also, what wood veneer did you get? I have my eye on a pair of these myself but I think I will stick with the Emerald 97's.

17. ShaunT

ShaunT Extra

Hey Paul, I got the black ash veneer and I also got matching color Diamond Anniversaries for the rears. Just today I won an auction on Ebay for a black ash Modus Music Center Channel.