What's new

My Home Theater Page (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The new M1/M2 Macs (w/ sufficient on-CPU unified RAM) do seem very enticing given their touted, very high performance gains over more traditional architecture of Intel/AMD... even if still wanting to run Windoze (in whatever emulation mode) for stuff other than hardcore Windoze-based gaming that *might* trip up in emulation mode...

IF I were actually in need of a new PC, definitely would consider migrating to a Mac w/ M1 Max or Pro (probably w/ 32GB unified RAM to play it safe... as I just wouldn't trust 16GB to be enough... especially for video processing/editing in multi-tasking mode although I only do that very occasionally mainly as a hobby).

My current, 2.5-yo build w/ AMD Ryzen 7 3800x on ASRock x570 Taichi mobo still seems plenty powerful enough for the foreseeable future... though maybe I'll finally migrate over in another few years or maybe not if Intel/AMD catches up by then -- I don't upgrade that often since I'm not really a gamer and hadn't bothered w/ a full DIY build in a long while before this last one... though I did used to do such fairly often back around my 1st fulltime job or so in the early-to-mid-90's, including some builds for Intel-based Unix before Linux was much of a thing (and even briefly a personal one to try out the shortlived Intel-based version of NextStep before Jobs returned to Apple and NT finally came out).

I don't generally use my PC for HT purposes though, except when I first dipped into HT w/ a DVD drive kit for a short while before buying my 1st standalone DVD player. And I'm not at all considering trying the HTPC route again mainly because I don't wanna spend the time/effort (and $$$/hassle on additional high-TB storage) on ripping discs for my own local streaming at full quality -- if I already have the discs, I want full quality (or whatever digital streaming would serve otherwise)... and as it is, I don't get around to (re)watching them enough, so don't wanna have to spend additional time on ripping and maintenance... Even though I tend to be very budget-conscious, the reality is the time spent is likely far more costly in the long run -- you really have to love doing such as a (sub-)hobby unto itself (well beyond just enjoying high quality content) for it to be worthwhile me thinks...

Anyhoo, David, hope you're able to get the problem sorted out before long, especially now that you've sent the mobo back to ASUS...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not sure I follow your logic there as it is usually software that obsoletes contemporary computers, especially in business environments. Due to the manifestation of Moore's law over the years, hardware is rarely an issue.
Actually, the desire to upgrade the equipment has never been driven by software. It's always been because the hardware just got too slow or it had outdated components. I replaced all the Minis in 2020, and most of the ones being replaced were 2008/9 models. In the interim I had replaced the platter drives in all of them with SSDs for a boost. They still worked. The hardware was just getting a bit worn out.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well currently it is just a waiting game with FedEx and guessing if the motherboard will or will not be delivered tomorrow or not? I only say this because according to FedEx tracking the package has not left the FedEx facility in Chino, CA! So ether someone was sloppy and missed scanning the package when it was loaded into the truck heading towards Indiana. Or the package for what ever reason is still sitting at FedEx in Chino. Many years ago I used to have nothing but trouble with UPS so it used to be FedEx was the one I could trust. Well lately I am wondering if I can trust FedEx anymore? Used my Amazon account to buy my mother some shoes and they made it to a local FedEx ground facility and was scanned into the facility then somehow FedEx lost the shoes! Now I have my motherboard which was last scanned into a FedEx facility and no changes show up when trying to track package.

I am keeping my fingers crossed as I still hope to get my Asus motherboard back. If FedEx looses this motherboard and I have to buy another one I might switch it to an EVGA motherboard. But the goal still is to have the motherboard back and to have a working pc 4th Of July weekend.

At some point I may end up upgrading some cables but also I need to do some movie shopping since I have not purchased any movies since April.

4K blu-ray shopping list: (Not all titles are currently available)
Beverly Hills Cop II
Alfred Hitchcock Classics Vol2
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
A Fistful Of Dollars
For A Few Dollars More
Lawrence Of Arabia
Untouchables
Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets Of Dumbeldor
Edge Of Tomorrow
An American Werewolf In London
Robocop
Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness ???
Species
Event Horizon
Heat
Red Dawn
Real Genius
Godfather Trilogy
Halloween: The Cuse Of Michael Myers
Friday The 13th
Spiderman No Way Home
The Apartment
The Matrix: Resurrections ???
Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
The Howling
Halloween Kills
Jungle Cruise
Doctor Strangelove
Jurassic World: Dominion
Top Gun: Maverick

Blu-ray shopping list:
The Little Rascals Vol 4 & 5
The A Team
Stargate The Blu-ray Collection
The Six Million Dollar Man The Complete Series

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Update: Motherboard didn't make it to the destination so now the delivery is pending and I will be calling FedEx customer service tomorrow. I have this feeling they found a way to loose my motherboard and they will be paying for loosing it. This just seems like a competent company is getting incompetent! If they can not locate the motherboard they had custody of I might buy a higher end motherboard after they pay for the one they lost. It blows my mind that something can arrive at a FedEx facility then be scanned then all of a sudden somehow it gets lost. I just don't see how this is possible. So now the question is if they did actually loose my motherboard how long will it take for them to pay me so I can order another motherboard then wait for that one to be delivered? Also should I go with another brand or stick with the same brand since I have already received a faulty motherboard already.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Motherboard arrived at Asus repair center 6/27 and was going through diagnostics on Tuesday. So hopefully Asus will get the motherboard repaired or replaced soon. A few days ago I ended up damaging my old Razor mechanical keyboard after knocking over a soda on it. So it looks like I will be buying a new keyboard and I am now planning on a new Asus keyboard. Also decided to go with a larger 1600 watt Asus power supply for the new pc.

Changes

new vs old pc c.jpg

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Curious, Dave, but how did you decide on the Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM (and which exact ones)?

Woulda thought you might want to go w/ 3600Mhz RAM at least for such a build.

For my Ryzen 7 3800x build (~2.5 years ago), I originally also considered Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM, but at 3600Mhz w/ cas latency of 18. Ended up going for G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600 w/ CL16 at similar price instead -- and yes, my build is indeed running w/ RAM at 3600Mhz, CL16... though that did require manually selecting the higher speed profile, which may or may not be straightforward w/ your choice of mobo.

Probably wouldn't matter quite that much in the grand scheme of things, but I woulda wanted to max out the performance of RAM speed/access/interface (w/in reason of course)...

OTOH, 1600W power supply seems like a serious overkill, hehheh. My build has been running w/ any power issues at all (mostly 24/7 and folding@home until very recently) on just a good Corsair 80+ Gold 850W P/S for ~2.5 years now. Granted, I don't have any mechanical HDDs in this build anymore, and my 2070 Super GPU draws ~100W less than your 3070 Ti, but the rest should be about the same. I'm guessing your build will draw ~110-120W more than mine in total when everything is running at full load...

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Curious, Dave, but how did you decide on the Corsair Vengeance 3200 RAM (and which exact ones)?

Anything over 3200 on the motherboard specs showed OC at higher speeds and I honestly did not want issues so I stayed with the 3200. There may not have been issues I honestly do not know but it just seemed to be safe even though I honestly did want to go with faster memory. And the memory I went with had a latency of 16. I have always trusted the Corsair memory over the G Skill for some reason and I am sure G Skill is good memory but I have just usually stuck with Corsair.

mb memory.jpg

OTOH, 1600W power supply seems like a serious overkill, hehheh.

Originally purchased a SilverStone 1000 watt psu hoping that would be enough. But after seeing this I did not feel I had enough wattage especially calculating some headroom into the psu. Going by this going with a 1600 and adding in the additional hard drives and headroom seems like a good choice for future expansion. Current build will have two large capacity hard drives and two 2TB SSD's even though I put in three hard drives into the calculator. I am starting to wonder if this is why the system wouldn't possibly boot because I was running out of power. But totally possible it was just a matter of a bad motherboard but still pushing the power supply based on the calculator. oh and I have a total of four 140mm case fans, two 140mm cpu cooler fans and three 120mm case fans. The decision to go with the hard drives is that the prices are so much less and there is alot more storage for the price. I got the SSD's for games and anything else where read and write speeds where more important. But also if I was to go all SSD I would definantly have to have everything on them backed up since if they go bad there is not getting anything off of them like a traditional drive.

Going back and looking at the recommended psu for the graphics card it says 750 watts.

Newegg psu calculator
psu calc.jpg

20220516_184823.jpg

20220614_195717.jpg

20220616_220330.jpg

Motherboard is going through the repair process and is still at the Asus facility in Indiana so it looks like the build will not proceed for awhile. Plus I need to get the money for the larger power supply.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The case fans shouldn't consume much power at all -- maybe just a couple watts max each and probably less for most of them.

Your WD HDDs probably consume 5-8W each when actually active, and looks like the WD NVMe SSD might actually consume a touch more (but likely no significant diff compared to my Samsung NVMe). The other (SATA) SSDs should consume less -- and I've been using 3 such besides my main/system NVMe SSD. Most of the time, only your main/system SSD will be active anyway w/ maybe just 1 or at most 2 other drives also active some of the time.

Your GPU will definitely be the biggest consumer by far (for something like 300W max at full load vs around 200W max for my GPU).

Anyway, I took a quick look for that ASUS 1600W PSU and only see it currently being available from some 3rd party on NewEgg for some pretty outrageous $$$. IF you're definitely set on getting that PSU, hope you're able to find it more affordably.

Honestly, if the problem you had was actually related to the PSU, I'd think it's much more likely simply a bad PSU or bad connections or something like that than it being underpowered at 1000W, assuming it's actually a good PSU. Not saying don't consider a better PSU at all, but going all the way to that flagship 1600W PSU, especially at the kind $$$ currently being asked, just seems overkill. Would make sense if you were planning to upgrade to a more power hungry CPU along w/ running 2 (or maybe even 3?!?) GPUs in parallel and maybe doing some overclocking perhaps -- that's probably what such PSUs are made for...

Anyhoo...

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Your right the more I think of it, that is pricy for a 1600 watt power supply.

I believe the cpu draws about 125 watts and if the gpu calls for 750 watts that is 875 watts out of 1000 leaving very little headroom. But I do not think I will be spending $800 on a power supply.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I believe the cpu draws about 125 watts and if the gpu calls for 750 watts that is 875 watts out of 1000 leaving very little headroom. But I do not think I will be spending $800 on a power supply.

That 750W quote for the GPU is probably meant as recommended PSU for a typical entire PC w/ that GPU in it, not the GPU's own power consumption alone -- the 3070 Ti GPU itself consumes upto ~300W. I've seen such quotes before, and that's usually their intended meaning -- in my case, it'd be a 650W recommendation for the old 2070 Super (since it consumes ~100W less than your 3070 Ti)... although I went w/ an 850W PSU myself, which *should* still work fine (enough) if I ever actually decide to add another 2070 Super (to run in parallel mainly for other non-gaming tasks) or upgrade to a latest gen Nvidia GPU...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Again, not suggesting you go w/ just the minimum recommendation (of 750W) or the like of course, but a good 1000W PSU should be plenty.

Also, IF you think you might actually ever need to draw anywhere near 1600W (sustained) for your PC build alone, you should probably consider other issues like your electrical circuit's capacity where you're running this PC. 1600W is getting pretty close to the max for a standard 15amp circuit for instance, if that's what you have in that space (or your surge protection for that matter), and you'll no doubt need more juice for other things in that space, including your monitor and possibly AC unit, if you're using an (modest size) AC dedicated to that space (and possibly sharing the same circuit)...

_Man_

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
IMG_3435a.jpg

Luckily the HVAC is on it's own breaker.

Currently no problems running my current pc with a 1200 watt psu, Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver, Polk subwoofer and 55" Samsung LCD 4K TV in the bedroom.

20160115_181857a.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Motherboard waiting for FedEx pickup and hopefully it will arrive this coming Wednesday.

Also picked up two little kittens today which was not planned but two new fur babies in the house.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It's fun and hilarious with two kittens in the house. They are inseparable and knowing they have never been apart we decided to not split them up.

Now THERE'S an interesting plot twist! :D

Congrats, Dave! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Thanks Mike

FedEx Home Delivery has my motherboard no and estimated time of arrival is 7/13 so hoping to have a new working pc a few days from that day.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am so not happy with FedEx right now! Motherboard was scheduled to arrive by end of day 7/13 and they couldn't even do that! Now around noon today it is still in Barstow, CA and FedEx has still to get the package the last 112 miles because they are now saying shipment exception: weather delay! They have been very unreliable lately and I am so tempted to just ship with UPS and find a way to ask a company to ship it back UPS. Received a graphics card support since the card that is going in the pc is oversized and heavy.

20220713_184445a.jpg

Recent movie arrivals.

20220713_170517a.jpg

Anyway I updated my Star Wars and Star Trek collection photos. I wonder if I like ether film series? ;)

Star Trek MC 2022.jpg

Star Wars MC 2022.jpg

Movies coming to 4K blu-ray:
*Robo Cop 7/19/22
*An American Werewolf In London 7/19/22
Lion Of The Desert 7/19/22
*Doctor Strange: In The Multiverse Of Madness 7/26/22
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind 7/26/22
*Species 7/26/22
Flatliners 8/2/22
*Heat 8/9/22
*Event Horizon 8/9/22
*Red Dawn 8/16/22
*Heavy Metal 8/16/22
*Child's Play 8/16/22
*Child's Play 2 8/16/22
*Child's Play 3 8/16/22
*Dirty Dancing 8/23/22
*Halloween Kills 9/6/22
*Star Trek V: The Final Frontier 9/6/22
*Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country 9/6/22
Star Trek 1 - 6 Set 9/6/22 (Star Trek 1 -4 currently available)
*3:10 To Yuma 9/6/22
*The Fog 9/13/22
*The Adams Family 9/13/22
*Platoon 9/13/22
*Fatal Attraction 9/13/22
Tropic Thunder 9/13/22
*Poltergeist 9/20/22
*Real Genius 9/13/22
Invaders From Mars 9/26/22
*Evil Dead 9/27/22
*The War Of The Worlds / When Worlds Collide 9/27/22
*Indecent Proposal 9/27/22
?Bram Stoker's Dracula 10/04/22
*Halloween: The Curse Of Michael Myers 10/04/22

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
It is heavy enough to not want it to hang off the PCI card slot.

20220516_184106a.jpg

FedEx finally delivered my Asus motherboard that was out for repair and only 3 days late. But pc went back together then double checked all the connections. And now a fresh install of Windows 10 professional from a new install disc and bam I am now on my new pc and just need to install and update. I also currently do not have my 2TB SSD and 18TB HDD plugged in as I decided to install windows with just the M.2 1TB SSD installed on the motherboard. But finally the new pc is up and running. Also need to locate my Office install disc as I have no interest in updating to Office 365 and pay money every year for that, no thanks. I have my Adobe install disc handy so that is one program I do not need to find. Also after I plug in the two drives I will copy all the files from my external hard drive that I backed up and copied from the old pc.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
PC is operational as I installed Windows 10 professional last night and did some updates and minor installs before calling it a night. I also installed Adobe Photoshop and Premier so that is done so now if I can find my Office Pro disc I can stop pulling my hair out. Slowly getting files copied over from my external hard drive and also need to back up some new photos and files last minute off the other pc onto the external drive.

20220716_153848.jpg

20220716_192425.jpg

20220716_205452.jpg

Skynet is learning at a geometric rate and should become self aware soon, lol

20220716_195406.jpg

20220716_205458.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks