What's new

My Home Theater Page (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Instead of building a NAS for Plex, you might be better served to just buy a QNAP and call it a day.

Have not heard of QNAP and how much different is it from a NAS running Plex?

The content needs to be accessible from the PC and ether the Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player and or the 4K Apple TV. I want downloaded content and ripped discs to be available across the network. What kind of interface would the QNAP have? It also needs to be 4K friendly and compatible with Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos and HDR content. Would be nice if it played well with DTS-X and Auro 3D since my Marantz SR-8012 can decode Atmos, X and Auro.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Was looking at the photo of the cooler and realized the fans are not pointing towards the back which means the heat is not being directed out the back. So after my video card arrives I will end up removing the cooler and cleaning and reapply new thermal paste and remount the cooler.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Dave Upton did an excellent write up on QNAP a few years back. You can find it here . It’s a self-contained NAS like a Synology. Both are better options that just throwing a bunch of HDDs at a desktop PC if that is what you had in mind.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I don’t have either solution but I figure you can use a desktop PC, Mac, or possibly the Plex app on an ATV4K as a front end gui for streaming from the unit.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Dave Upton did an excellent write up on QNAP a few years back. You can find it here . It’s a self-contained NAS like a Synology. Both are better options that just throwing a bunch of HDDs at a desktop PC if that is what you had in mind.

Thank you for the link will check it out. Originally was just going to get a Synology and add flash memory and the hard drives I wanted. Didn't plan on just using a pc as a media server as I felt a NAS would be a better choice. Right now my focus is completing my new pc but after I want a NAS for a media server.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Here is what my old computer specs are vs the new pc I am building.

new vs old pc.jpg

New video card for new pc could arrive at any time now!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Card arrived today after one day arriving early on Saturday then not till Tuesday then moved to today.

Wow is all I could think once the card was out of the box and this is by far the biggest graphics card I have ever had. Next to the Noctua cpu cooler it makes it look smaller even though it is a large cooler. And keep in mind the case is a Fractal full tower so yes the graphics card is huge, lol.

20160115_181642.jpg

Previous EVGA GTX 950 that is in my current computer.

New pc under construction:

20220516_182012a.jpg

20220516_182007a.jpg

Had to pull the Noctua cooler off the cpu to flip 180 so the fans would blow into the rear fan instead of into the middle of the tower.

20220516_182434.jpg

20220516_182906a.jpg

20220516_184106a.jpg

20220516_184847a.jpg

20220516_185806a.jpg

So was I exaggerating? ROFL Can not wait for the hard drives to be purchased and installed. I might have to pull the graphics card to get the sata cables plugged in but I will wait and see. This pc is going to be alot more pricy than the current build.

Current build was aprox $3,200 maybe alittle more.
New build is currently at $3,263.61 after graphics card
New build after all is said and done over $5,023.61

Hoping this pc last me at least till I am close to 70 years old! Don't see myself building another expensive pc like this again so I am going to enjoy this build as much as possible. Next item to be purchased is a Western Digital 16TB external hard drive. Then I will start backing up the current pc and in a few weeks I will try and get two internal Western Digital SATA 16TB drives and work in two Western Digital 2TB SSD's. Also after that some extra drive treys for the Fractal case and some extra fans and some extra SATA cables. After this project I will be getting some movies and maybe a tv series or two. By that time I will be deciding on if I am building a NAS or not. That will be another semi expensive project and after that I am not sure they will be anything else to do. Might be done for awhile unless I find a way to have a 4K projector and large screen. I have to factor in that I might have to move into an apartment so maybe the projector as much as I would like to have one will have to remain a wish type of thing.

But for now the focus is on finishing the new pc build and I can not wait to see how well it runs and how good games look with it. Will still use my Samsung 4K LCD TV for a monitor like I am doing now.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Current time table for a completed and operational pc.

May 20th: Order Western Digital 16TB Eternal Hard Drive
May 27th - 29th: Back up all data from current pc!
June 10th: Order Two Western Digital 16TB Internal Hard Drives
June 17th: Order Two Western Digital 2TB SSD's
July 1st: Order remain parts! Extra drive trays, Extra case fans, GPU support brace, SATA cables and Anti Virus.
By July 10th I want to have a bootable pc updated and with all software installed! By this time all drives will have been installed and hooked up so no real work left just installing and updating software.

Between now and July 1st I will research other software and maybe buy the GTA trilogy and maybe one or two more games. I currently own Microsoft Office Professional 2013 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 12. Not sure I even need to bother with a newer version of Office but I might get Adobe Lightroom. Also toying with the idea of buying a new DSLR camera to upgrade my aging DSLR camera. But if I build a NAS that will come before a new camera and I could easily put off a new camera till next year. Want to get back to purchasing content for my library on blu-ray and 4k blu-ray.

Next possible timetable:
August 5th: Purchase 4 bay NAS Case

512GB M.2 SSD
Four Western Digital 16TB Hard Drives

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Dave Drive Angry was shot in 3D and looks terrific on the screen. I don't know if you do 3D or not but if you do, get the 3D BD! It's a lot of fun.

d

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My former Samsung 4K tv could handle 3D and I have a few 3D titles. Since moving the Samsung into my bedroom with the pc. And buying the Sony XBR55A9F 55" OLED which I am sure doesn't handle 3D. I have not watched any 3D content.

I have seen Drive Angry and it is a fun movie but it has to be on my list of movies I will not add.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Western Digital 16TB external hard drive purchased and am just waiting for it to be delivered. Then I can back up everything on my current pc and have over half the drive left over. The next purchase will be dual 16TB internal Western Digital hard drives.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Current pc has a EVGA GTX-950 which is basically about the same size as the previous GTX-460. Here is a side by side with the new Asus video card that is in my new pc I have not got running yet.

20220530_094529.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
June 11th, 2022 Saturday

Jurassic Park premiered on June 9, 1993 and now 29 years later and a number of Jurassic movies later I went to see the new Jurassic Park Dominion at the theater.

Jurassic World: Dominion
IMAX
Dolby Atmos
Regal Cinema / IMAX / South Gate, California

20220611_102247.jpg

20220611_102235.jpg

Jurassic Park Collection_a.JPG

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well next pc parts purchase was actually planned for 6/17 but after being board and looking at my parts I put in my purchase list. I found out the WD 16TB hard drive was out of stock and that there was a 18TB WD on sale for less money same class of drive. So after checking my finances I purchased the 2TB WD SSD, one Noctua 140mm fan, three 120mm Noctua fans and the WD 18TB hard drive. I hope to have the pc operational next weekend and will post more photos then. So next weekend instead of 19 TB of drive space my new pc will have 21TB of drive space across 3 drives. If I get a 16TB hard drive and another 2TB SSD then the drive space will be 39TB so I do not foresee any storage issues for awhile.

new vs old pc b.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Currently trying to research a NAS with no current time table to integrate a NAS into my home theater. Would love to get feedback from anyone that is currently using one with there home theater. Also are you able to use passwords in one or more content folders? I am assuming that everything currently like HDR, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos is supported with PlexServer. It would be nice to be able to download content with Auro 3D and Auro surround tracks but I do not feel that is available. I can live with just Dolby and DTS playback as this is not a big deal as they are both good.

Hard drive and ssd should be arriving for my pc build and hopefully next weekend I can start installing Windows 10 and all related software and all updates this coming weekend. July I am looking at getting back to adding some new 4K movies on disc to my collection. Both Top Gun Maverick and Jurassic World: Dominion are on my must buy list.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks