What's new

My Home Theater Page (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
I didn’t go to blockbuster much because of some of their insane store policies (I rented from Hastings Video for over 20 years before they closed), but I still remember renting Starship Troopers on DVD from there when it was first released and they were the only store in town who stocked DVDs.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My old Blockbuster Video

Blockbuster Video_Whittier 2010.JPG

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My Blockbuster became a O'Reilly Auto Parts.

My opions back then where:
Blockbuster Video
Hollywood Video
Video Express

IMG_2199a.jpg

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
My options were Blockbuster, Hastings, Family Video, StarStruck, Crossroads Entertainment (Formerly Adventure Land and then Aardvark Video), Quick Flick, and Movie Mart.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I really loved Video Express for me because back when they where open they rented laser disc movies. But at the beginning of my home theater journey it was all about the VHS and back then I rented alot of movies.

Denon repl95 sm.jpg

Looking back on it I should have cleaned it up really good for it's final photo. I ended up getting rid of a number of old pieces that did not work so they ended up at an electronic waste round up. But The JVC was the first really good VHS HiFi deck I ever had. And it was a work horse and I put a lot of tapes through that machine and recorded a lot of tapes with that machine. And I even used it for parties where I used it as a makeshift reel to reel to play hours of music, lol. But it stopped working finally and I was not even buying or renting tapes for countless years but it stayed buried in a closet till one day I finally let go of it.

JVC HR-D530U 4 Head HiFi VHS Recorder
IMG_5041a.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My options were Blockbuster, Hastings, Family Video, StarStruck, Crossroads Entertainment (Formerly Adventure Land and then Aardvark Video), Quick Flick, and Movie Mart.

So how many movies did your rent through those places? I remember renting a lot of movies that the majority went through my JVC VHS deck.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While I do not have a picture of my first DVD player which was a 1st generation Panasonic. It is interesting that Panasonic was my first DVD player and now my flagship 4K blu-ray player is a Panasonic.

20190520_171159a.jpg

20190520_172925a.jpg

20190520_172827a.jpg

Like a number of people here I got my Panasonic 4K Blu-ray through Robert Zohn @ Value Electronics. I was nice to do business with you Robert.

20190520_172527a.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do not know why really but I never did try renting movies with Redbox. About the time stores where disappearing left and right I did not even really start renting movies using satellite or cable. Even now after getting a number of streaming services and an Apple TV box with iTunes content. I do not even rent digital content and basically ether buy the physical disc or sometimes I might buy it digitally. And with my finances to me it makes more sense to buy the content than rent a new movie for $20 or more. Or to even just rent something for $5 - $10 rental but who knows I might end up renting something eventually that I don't care to purchase but maybe a guest wants to see while they are here?

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
As of 7/25/21 these are upcoming 4K Blu-ray releases which I am interested in.

288100_large.jpg
289320_large.jpg
290638_large.jpg
291914_large.jpg
292495_large.jpg
292555_large.jpg
293756_large.jpg
294202_large.jpg
294500_large.jpg
294498_large.jpg
294497_large.jpg
294496_large.jpg
294847_large.jpg
295276_large.jpg
295727_large.jpg
295926_large.jpg

I hope the other two Conjuring movies make it to 4K blu-ray by the end of 2022. And I have been waiting for some Star Trek from the original movie series to hit 4K blu-ray. So it turns out my putting off updating my DVD set of Star Trek to standard blu-ray has paid off. I also can not wait to get Shawshank Redemption & Misery in my library on 4K blu-ray. Underwold is another set of movies that currently I only have 2 of 5 on standard blu-ray. I have the first two films on standard blu-ray so the 5 film set on 4K blu-ray will be a nice addition to the library. And since my adding horror to my library the addition of Halloween movies will be nice especially since I already have the first movie on 4K blu-ray. I am still waiting on True Lies, The Abyss and Open Range to be released on 4K blu-ray and those two will be in my library as soon as they are released.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Evolution of the subwoofer in the Moritz Home Theater

In my journey through home theater one thing has been a constant and that is change. When my journey started I had only two channel stereo and no dedicated subwoofer. But even when I got my first taste of surround there was still no dedicated subwoofer but at the time there was two 15" woofers in each Altec A-7 speaker. I started out with a small Denon prologic set up so the system was a 4.0 channel. I moved from that to a beautiful McIntosh MX-130 that was also prologic surround but had the THX card upgrade and was also a 4.0 channel configuration. I then due to being married at the time and wanting the new digital surround along with my first Panasonic DVD player. Traded straight across for a brand new Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 surround receiver but there was till no subwoofer in the system so it was a 5.0 configuration. Looking back I wish there was a way for me to just keep my MX-130! Eventually I got my first subwoofer which was a low end sub but it added something I lacked. So it was then in 2012 I upgraded my Yamaha 995 to a Pioneer Elite SC-05 that was used from a pawn shop. And then a few months later finally I got my first subwoofer which was the 12" Polk PSW505. So I went from a 5.0 config to a 7.0 config to finally a 7.1 configuration!

IMG_1669a.jpg

It was about 2014 that my neighbor approached me saying his boss at work was upgrading his subwoofer and was giving away the old one. Sure I said yes to a larger subwoofer and at the time there was no budget for a upgrade so that is when I got the HSU VTF-3 MK5HP subwoofer. This made another big improvement in the area of deep bass from the first Polk subwoofer. The HSU remained in my home theater for approximately 6 1/2 years.

IMG_1670a.jpg

IMG_4121a.jpg

These two subwoofer where never used at the same time but I moved the Polk back out just to have a picture of them sided by side. Just incase I ended up selling off the Polk or giving it away. Turns out the Polk found a home with my pc set up which it is still being used today.

I then went through a number of system upgrades one of them being my current Marantz SR-8012 which gave me Dolby Atmos / DTS-X / Auro 3D 7.2.4 capability. But for a short time I was still in an actual 7.1 configuration untill the Klipsch RP-600M bookshelf speakers arrived giving me a 7.1.4 configuration. So after wanting to upgrade the HSU in April of this year I made the leap to SVS after doing alot of research and after considering a number of other subwoofers. And as nice as the HSU was and as big of a leap it was over the 12" Polk. All I can say is WOW because the SVS is that subwoofer that delivers in spades in ways the HSU fell short. So now the Moritz Home Theater has been SVS'd lol! I would highly recommend SVS to whomever is looking for a great subwoofer. Yes there are a number of great subwoofers out there so if your without a subwoofer I would say do your homework and take that leap because you will not regret it. We all start somewhere and many of us start out small but we can always improve what we have till we get to where we want to be.

IMG_0101a.jpg

SVS Ultra 16PB Subwoofer that is matched up with my Altec A-7 front speakers.

Brands My HT-3flat.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Now it is next weekend to put the feet on the PB16 sub as I found 6 feet not 4 under the subwoofer. And if I had checked first SVS does sell them in sets of 6. So now I am waiting for another set of 4 to arrive and hopefully next weekend I will install the isolation feet on the sub. Also waiting on getting a cable for the 12v trigger for the subwoofer that should arrive today.

To those who are buying or have purchased the SVS Ultra PB16 and are looking to get the isolation feet. Make sure to get 6 feet not 4. I am willing to bet the SVS Ultra SB16 takes the same number of feet. But there are two options when ordering the isolation feet and that is 4 or 6.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Now it is next weekend to put the feet on the PB16 sub as I found 6 feet not 4 under the subwoofer. And if I had checked first SVS does sell them in sets of 6. So now I am waiting for another set of 4 to arrive and hopefully next weekend I will install the isolation feet on the sub. Also waiting on getting a cable for the 12v trigger for the subwoofer that should arrive today.

To those who are buying or have purchased the SVS Ultra PB16 and are looking to get the isolation feet. Make sure to get 6 feet not 4. I am willing to bet the SVS Ultra SB16 takes the same number of feet. But there are two options when ordering the isolation feet and that is 4 or 6.
The SB-16 Ultra has 4 feet.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The SB-16 Ultra has 4 feet.

I would have thought it would have 6 but good to know. I guess since the SB16 is alot lighter that makes sense. I figured it would be alot closer in weight to the PB16's 174lbs but it is only 122lbs.

SVS Ultra PB16
20210821_103219.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would have thought it would have 6 but good to know. I guess since the SB16 is alot lighter that makes sense. I figured it would be alot closer in weight to the PB16's 174lbs but it is only 122lbs.

SVS Ultra PB16
View attachment 110016
I think size has a lot more to do with it. The SB-16 is about a 20" cube, so a lot smaller than the PB-16.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
2nd set of isolation feet arrived via FedEx today so I am ready to swap out the factory feet for the new isolation feet. Tomorrow I will watch a movie after work then get to work on the subwoofer. More photos to come. Wish I would have paid attention and ordered the 6 feet set to begin with. Yes I could most likely send it back but I am the one that made the mistake and now I will have two back ups incase any of the feet get damaged when I move.

2nd set isolation feet SVS.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well got it done today and I recommend a second person as this sub is 174lbs and it doesn't slide on these isolation feet, lol. At least I know with this feet that grip very good it is not going to go walking across the floor when the sub starts working hard! My little home theater has gone through a big transformation over the years and if I can finally get the matching Klipsch Atmos speakers I can check a done stamp on this project. At least done for now unless I can come up with the funds for a 4K projector and a nice AT projection screen. The library will always be a work in progress and it may not be massive like some peoples library's but it keeps growing as time goes on.

20210826_174924.jpg

20210826_175514.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StreetPreacher
Recent bookmarks