What's new

My Home Theater Page (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My movie library over time which is not a full history when I got into this hobby back when I started with VHS. Like many here I started with VHS then added laser disc then moved over to DVD. Moving to DVD I also got my first digital surround sound receiver, (Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 receiver). Then HD blu-ray and hd-dvd arrived and while not everyone jumped on these formats right away I decided I wouldn't wait for the format war to end. I wanted HD and as many know some titles where on hd-dvd only and the rest where on blu-ray only. At this time I purchased a few movies before I purchased the players and I did that before I purchased my first DVD player and my first CD player. I never did get a native 1080p display when I had HD movies. My first so called HDTV was a Sony 3 chip LCD rear projection display that was native 720p. Then the 9000 series Samsung 4K dispay came out and my HD blu-rays looked better than I have ever seen. Now my collection has evolved as most movies I purchase are on ether 4K blu-ray or digital versions which are ether HD or 4K. For me it has been truly a long road getting from there to here.

Where my HD collection started in the early days. As you can see the blu-ray movies had not even been opened but the hd-dvd movies have.
Daves HD Movies 6_07a.jpg

My collection in 2008 where I blended both formats in alphabetical order.
Daves HD Collection 5_2008.jpg

Start of 4K blu-ray.
20160624_121034a.jpg

IMG_9543a.jpg

IMG_1498aa.jpg

January 17th, 2021 4K has taken over and I still have a decent amount of HD Blu-ray and still have some DVD's in my collection. I still have my HD-DVD's but there now sit in a box since I began having issues with the player a few years ago and I am not willing to spend money on the player currently.
20210117_104954.jpg

20210117_105011.jpg

20210117_105024.jpg

243 4K Blu-ray Titles
201 HD Blu-ray Titles
165 SD DVD

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
242 4K Blu-ray Titles
200 HD Blu-ray Titles
165 SD DVD

Impressive Dave.

I have finally begun a serious project of straightening out my disc media and was surprised by how many 4k/UHD discs I already had in my collection--115! I was stunned to seeI had already amassed that many. It honestly just seems to me that the format was JUST released.

I still do not have a 4k display. I've got the rest of what I need to go 4k (receiver, player) but I insist I'm going to ride out my Panasonic plasma until it dies.

I can take ya in Blu-rays and DVDs though! :laugh:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thank you for the kind words and not to bad for someone like me who keeps getting stuck with low paying jobs. Funny how before you know it you have over 100 discs but 115 is a nice size 4K collection IMHO. And for what it is worth I would like to suggest not waiting and getting that 4K display now. I bet that Panasonic plasma has a nice picture but your 4K discs will look so much better on a native display. I bet that if you changed your mind and get a 4K display you will be glad you did. Ether way enjoy your library and a/v gear. :thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd love to jump on a 4k display...mostly because I'm curious to see just how much better the picture can be (the images I see on the 4k TVs in the big box stores sure do look impressive). But the fact that I'm happy with the plasma (and don't have a use for a 2nd set) make it hard for me to justify the expense.

But I think the plasma's life is winding down. Nearly every night it will shut itself off at least once. I can always get it right back on.

But when I DO get my new display, I'll be ready! :D Then I'll just have to learn all this stuff about HDR and DV, etc. :laugh:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I had a tv that I replaced with a 4K TV and didn't have a use for it. I decided to give it away to the neighbor across the street. When I purchased it I believe it was about $2,400 and even though it still worked good for it's limitations I decided I was not going to hold on to it just because I paid good money for it. It was time for it to go and I still feel it was better for it to go where someone else would get some use out of it. Enjoy the new tv when the time comes to make the plunge.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
February 5th, 2021 Friday

In honor of Christopher Plummer RIP!

Sound Of Music
45th Anniversary Blu-ray
DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1

Sound Of Music 005.jpg

I was lucky to see a 75mm film print of Sound Of Music 2/9/2017.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Altec Lancing continuing project: Am in the middle of making a top speaker grill for the 15" woofer in the top part of the A-7 cabinet. The frame itself is mostly done and I am in the middle of priming then painting with flat black and installing the Velcro. Then the fabric that I still need to find somewhere around the house then I will add some metal trim to give it the feel of the bottom grill that was original. I will add more photos as the project progresses and I will try and finish my dvd shelf as well. Not a professional job but they will do the trick and it will personalize these A-7's.

20210206_134953.jpg

20210206_141143.jpg

20210206_154151a.jpg

20210206_154737a.jpg

20210206_105917.jpg

All of this because the A-7's where sprayed by one of our cats!
20210119_172937 - Copy.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
@Dave Upton @Dave Moritz

Hmmmm, fellas. In this last post by Dave I can only see the last .jpg he posted and none of the others.

One note of interest, the last picture seems to have been taken on a different day than the ones which are not appearing for me (based on the file names). But I can't imagine that can be the cause.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Last picture was taken before the others as I was just showing why I was doing the project. Not that it would be eventually necessary. But as far as pictures not displaying I honestly have no idea why this is happening as I used the same process for all the photos so if the previous pictures did not show. I am not sure why the last photo would show and not the others.

Altec Lancing continuing project: Am in the middle of making a top speaker grill for the 15" woofer in the top part of the A-7 cabinet. The frame itself is mostly done and I am in the middle of priming then painting with flat black and installing the Velcro. Then the fabric that I still need to find somewhere around the house then I will add some metal trim to give it the feel of the bottom grill that was original. I will add more photos as the project progresses and I will try and finish my dvd shelf as well. Not a professional job but they will do the trick and it will personalize these A-7's. Putting the last photo first but also putting more space between so if that doesn't work I honestly do not know what is causing it. It is very bazar that others are having issues but yet all the photos show up on my screen.

20210119_172937 - Copy.jpg

20210206_134953.jpg

20210206_141143b.jpg

20210206_154151a.jpg

20210206_154737a.jpg

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
@Dave Upton @Dave Moritz

Hmmmm, fellas. In this last post by Dave I can only see the last .jpg he posted and none of the others.

One note of interest, the last picture seems to have been taken on a different day than the ones which are not appearing for me (based on the file names). But I can't imagine that can be the cause.
There's only one actual file attached to the thread, so I think Dave must have pasted them in and the link broke.

Dave - have you tried uploading the images as attachments, then inserting into your post?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
2/7/21

Found my fabric for the grills and am continuing the project. Hope your weekend is going well. Made another trip to Home Depot today so yesterday I spent about $430 and another $200 today. Picked up a miter saw so yet another useful tool in the collection to use for other projects. Also picked up a blade for cutting metal to cut the aluminum trim for the speaker grills. I guess considering I did no looking into YouTube on how to do this and that I winged it they could have turned out worse. This all got pulled out of my rear as I walked through Home Depot looking at stuff. First time doing anything like this other than just replacing original speaker cloth. So the bottom grill has the same cloth I am using on the new smaller grills and the same cloth I used to recover the old Polk center channel that I retired when I replaced it with a B&W center.

20210207_112119a.jpg

20210207_120459a.jpg

20210207_123023a.jpg

20210207_123059a.jpg

20210207_154716a.jpg

20210207_155322a.jpg

Not finished yet and still have some cutting to do and some 45 deg angles to cut and then drilling some holes to attach the trim to the grills. Then attach some velcro and that project will be done. Am thinking about making a plexiglass cover to block off the horn where the woofer is so no cat can sit in there and spray even with the grill over the woofer. This will protect the speaker when not in use. Then the last part of the project is replacing the speaker inputs and painting.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Will most likely start on an unfinished project next weekend depending on if I am wiped out from the work week or not. I need to do some sanding to my unfinished media shelf and prime, paint and lacquer it. Currently not able to locate the photos I thought I took of the building process. But as you can see the shelf is built like a tank, lol. The back plate is the same as the rest and it is all deck screwed together. So here are pictures taken of the shelf many years later!

20210207_204925.jpg

20210207_204835.jpg

20210207_204826.jpg

20210207_204843.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
02/21/2021

Well many years ago I built my blu-ray shelf myself and at the time did not finish it. But I had a DTS logo routered into both sides. Well I made a set of grills for the 15" woofers for my Altec A-7's and now working on the blu-ray shelf that actually is the home for my 4K blu-ray library. I wish the projects came out better but I accept that I am an armature and hopefully at some point the finished product will start looking better and better if I can keep doing enough projects.

Altec A-7's:
20210220_112515.jpg

Continuation of blu-ray shelf project:
20210221_135425a.jpg

20210221_155403.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Doesn't it feel GREAT to be making progress on projects that you've been wanting to get done for a long time?!? :D

Once you finally decide to get going on them it snowballs because you can't wait to see them completed! And such a feeling of accomplishment.

I just went through that with my disc collection. It had gotten to be an absolute mess (a lot of newer stuff had been jammed into cardboard boxes, etc.) and I have just thinned it, re-organized it and gotten it all completely up-to-date in my DVD Profiler database! It had been years coming and I can't stop smiling thinking about it.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I just went through that with my disc collection. It had gotten to be an absolute mess (a lot of newer stuff had been jammed into cardboard boxes, etc.) and I have just thinned it, re-organized it and gotten it all completely up-to-date in my DVD Profiler database! It had been years coming and I can't stop smiling thinking about it.
We did that last summer. My discs had been filed in purchase order on shelves and spinner racks in the house. I more or less could put my hands on them from a vague file system in my head. But when we moved them out to the media storage cabinet in the garage, they were effectively randomized. It became an exercise in opening a shelf and finding something to watch rather than finding a particular movie. When filmaf.com went belly up last summer, I now had two problems - I lost my catalogue and I couldn’t find things. So we got DVD Profiler and got to work alphabetizing and cataloguing. Doing a bit each day, we had the 6000ish discs organized in about 4 weeks. It did feel great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks