My Home Theater Page

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would love to see more Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenegger movies on 4K Blu-ray. Another movie that would be nice on 4K Blu-ray is Open Range!

A list of movie that may be some of the next purchases! Also scheduled releases I am interested in getting

• 1917 - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • The Deer Hunter - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • The Blues Brothers - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • A Quite Place - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • Space 1999 - HD Blu-ray

Future Releases

• Spartacus - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • Pitch Black - 4K UHD Blu-ray

Am still waiting for release dates for the following

• Heat - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • True Lies - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • Highlander - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • Back To The Future Trilogy - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • Lord Of The Ring Trilogy - 4K UHD Blu-ray
  • The Hobbit Trilogy - 4K UHD Blu-ray

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Almost forgot that there is to be an HDMI 8K upgrade for my Marantz SR-8012 receiver and it is time to check if that upgrade is available yet and how much it will cost me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I forgot the SR8012 is modular, so I suppose there should be an 8K board. I'm guessing that sucker will cost a few clams.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Ok returned from my vacation trip to Idaho and now on my weekend off since my days and hours have been changed at work. Also did not spend as much on vacation as I had planned so I went on a small spending spree and picked up a few digital titles and 10 titles on disc.

These are the titles purchased on disc:
Batman Collection 4K Steelbook
Spartacus 4K Steelbook
The Deer Hunter 4K
The Blues Brothers 4K
Angel Has Fallen 4K
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K
Red Heat 4K
Willie Nelson & Friends: Live and Kicking 2005 DVD
The Mast Of Zorro 4K
Labyrinth 4K

Batman 4K Set b.jpg

Spartacus 4K.jpg

20200808_124656a.jpg

Bluray.com is showing the following titles available on 4K blu-ray this year:
Pitch Black Sept 1st
Alfred Hitchcock 4 Movie Set (Rear Window, Vertigo, Phycho, The Birds) Sept 8th
Full Metal Jacket Sept 22nd
Back To The Future Trilogy Oct 20th
Resident Evil 6 Movie Collection Nov 3rd

These are going on my purchase list and I can not wait to see what else will be out around Christmas time!

Still have a few things I want to get but if I do not get them I can live with what I have the way it is! Want to get matching Klipsch Atmos speakers and am considering dual Klipsch 15" subs to replace my older HSU VTF-3 MK5HP subwoofer. Also want a cool theater pop corn machine to have theater quality pop corn. Part of me would love to have a 4K projector and the large screen especially since I have never owned a video projector. But money is getting tighter and I will not skimp to much on a projector so that means alot of money for a Sony 4K projector and good quality screen. Then there is the matter of eventually going from a family house to a smaller apartment so projection may not be feasible in an apartment. Right now if I could just get the matching Atmos speakers that would be nice. It has been a long road where I started and even from where I was 12 years ago! I love watching movies on my current set up!

So yes would it be nice to have that large projection screen? Yes it would be great but watching movies on a Sony OLED display is nothing to sneeze at ether!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
From laserdisc to dvd and now on 4K blu-ray!

Batman_a.jpg

IMG_2258a.jpg

Batman 4K 8_2020a.jpg

So moving forward bringing my Batman collection into the 4K realm I need to start getting what I am missing!

What I need moving forward as far as live action movies goes! Some of these help complete other DC comics movies at the same time.

Batman Begins (4K Blu-ray)
Batman Vs Superman (4K Blu-ray)
Batman Vs Superman: The Dawn Of Justice (4K Blu-ray)
Justice League (4K Blu-ray)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Goal of 200 4K titles for 2020 has not only been reached but broken! I am now expanding my goal to 210 which should be easy to reach since there is still about 5 months left in 2020! I am expecting to easily hit between 210 - 220 by new years eve.

IMG_8025a.jpg

My 4K Blu-ray collection close to the very start when 20th Century Fox was one of the few releasing movies on 4K Blu=ray.

Fast forward to August 2020 and the same rack that also held HD-DVD's and HD Blu-ray's is basically full of 100% 4K titles. And I now am looking at displacing dvd titles until I get more storage shelves. I would have a little more space if I took the Batman tin and only placed the steelbook movies on the shelf instead of the entire storage tin but it is what it is and there still wouldn't be much space. And the Star Wars titles have the 4K discs in them since the Skywalker Saga box wouldn't fit on the shelf and be a pain pulling movies in and out of.

203 4K Blurays2.jpg

203 4K Blu-ray Titles
270 HD Blu-ray Titles
165 SD DVD
Currently unknown number of laser disc titles (packed away)

It is very possible by the end of next year the 4K Blu-ray titles could match or exceed HD Blu-ray titles in my collection

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well this may not be A/V gear but it will help lower the noise floor and take much of the noise out of the room when I am watching movies since my gear is in my living room. This Tuesday the installers will start installing a new HVAC in the house and I will not have a noisy window AC a few feet from my head when I want to watch a movie. Should be up and running hopefully Wednesday as long as it all goes smoothly! Should have the system running no later than Thursday at the latest! Decided to go with a Lennox system and am really looking forward to it being installed and up and running!

Reactions: DFurr

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So one thing you will not see in my a/v system is displays from Chinese companies like TCL and Hisense! I find it interesting that reviews mention things like panel lottery referring to issues with panels but the post includes this, state-of-the-art panel factory. And how reviews have pointed out how bad many aspects of the picture is right out of the box. I will not spend my money on a Chinese brand when there are more deserving companies with history's in the video marketplace. Not to mention how Chinese companies are notorious for cutting corners and using substandard parts. Yes they are offering features but the quality of what you actually get and the questionable longevity of the product means for me they are overcharging for there product vs better quality products. And IMHO both TCL and Hisense are not major brands and are still only low end product and would not refer to ether one as being premium! So not in my home theater and not for my pc period! Only reason they are selling again IMHO is because they are selling there product cheaper than everyone else! While reviews also state many of the picture issues are corrected with calibration we all know most consumers do not calibrate there displays. Most consumers leave the tv on the out of the box settings. I just do not see why anyone should reward a Chinese company with there money sending money to a communist country when other established companies are making better product.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
August 23rd, 2020 Sunday

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire
4K Blu-ray / HDR
Dolby Atmos 7.1.4

catchingfirekatniss.jpg

Harry Potter: And The Half Blood Prince
4K Blu-ray / HDR10
DTS-X 7.1.4

Harry-Potter-and-the-Half-Blood-Prince-movie-poster.jpg

20200401_092106.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Last night ordered the following blu-rays on Amazon:

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea (1916) ordered from link on HTF
War Of The Worlds (1953) Criterion Collection release

Hopefully it should arrive tomorrow!

212 4K Blu-ray Titles (Last count 203)
273 HD Blu-ray Titles 9/9/20 (Last count 272)
165 SD DVD

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhishHead00