What's new

My Home Theater Page (2 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Star Wars Collection 4_2020.jpg

Well I added the Star Wars 4K Blu-ray set to my collection however I hate how hard it is to get discs out of the very ridged sleeves! Will not return it but I am starting to wish I would have purchased all the titles separately. Plan on complaining about the issues to Disney but not counting on getting a reply on why this set was released like this.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Movies from the Star Wars: Skywalker Saga where moved into the standard blu-ray cases in the interest of easier access and to save wear and tear on the box set itself. So even though it looks like I mixed standard blu-ray titles into my 4K collection the only non 4K titles are the Harry Potter Set on the lower right of the shelf. All Star Wars titles in the cases are in fact the 4K discs from the box set. Now at 184 4K Blu-ray titles and only 16 more titles to go to reach my goal of 200 4K titles by the end of this year!

20200407_104043a.jpg
20200407_104740a.jpg

4K Collection 4_7_2020a.jpg

Last edited:

DFurr

Premium
Real Name
Don
Can not wait to see the new 007 movie in the theaters!

So Dave.....a question for you.
IF you had the option of watching the new Bond movie at your house on your system or screening it a a commercial theatre for the SAME PRICE, which would you choose?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Commercial cinema for the huge screen but I would be tempted if they used full Dolby Amos with a lossless Dolby True HD core instead of the lossy DD+ core. Some movies should just been seen on the big screen.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
So Dave.....a question for you.
IF you had the option of watching the new Bond movie at your house on your system or screening it a a commercial theatre for the SAME PRICE, which would you choose?

I will add this that if I had a Sony 4K projector and aprox a 155" - 160" screen at home then I would seriously look at renting it at home.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Watching a movie via the Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player or 4K Apple TV using the Sony XBR55A9F 55"OLED 4K display and getting the sound via the Marantz SR-8012 & Emotiva XPA-3 3 Channel Amplifier has been a real treat! My system has gone through a major overhaul and all the hard work to earn the finances has been well worth it. I do not regret any choices in the system all the way down to the Klipsch speakers. It would be nice to have a Sony 4K projector and 160" acoustically transparent screen but I could just as easy love living with the gear I now have. I would just love to change out the Advent speakers for Atmos out for matching Klipsch Atmos speakers and maybe dual Klipsch 15" subs. It has been a interesting road and a lot of research and money that went into what I now enjoy. I am sure I could have gone with a Yamaha or Denon and got very good results but I love this flagship Marantz. Marantz has been on my radar every time I started to think about upgrading my previous Pioneer Elite SC-05 receiver. But now it is really in my a/v rack and the sound is awesome! I hope everyone here is able to build the system they can enjoy and love to turn on every time they want to watch a movie or listen to music! Please consider supporting your local a/v businesses as much as possible as they are the best way to demo and see gear in person. It is also the best way to listen to speakers as there is no way to even know if you like a speaker and get a decent idea of the sound characteristics from a online retailer.

Stay Safe

RP-500SA DOLBY ATMOS.jpg

Klipsch Atmos Speakers (2 pair)

SPL-150SW_Angle.jpg

Klipsch SPL-150 Subwoofers (2) to replace the HSU subwoofer I am currently using!

Brands My HT-2bbb.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This is the difference between the current configuration and projection and what the main wall would look like. The main wall would have a acoustically transparent projection screen that would have the large Altec A-7's and Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel behind the screen! And the a/v rack would have to be relocated at the back of the room for this to happen. But like I mentioned in the previous post I love what I have and is in the fist photo. Shure the large theater experience would be awesome the picture of the OLED is top notch!

IMG_3067a.jpg

projection screen oak house 1ab.jpg

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
It is also the best way to listen to speakers as there is no way to even know if you like a speaker and get a decent idea of the sound characteristics from a online retailer.

Well, unless the online retailer offers free in-home trials like SVS, Axiom and likely a host of others.

Congrats on your system and on entering Marantz and Klipsch territory. That's a good place to be!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I am so blessed to have been able to get so much of my a/v gear upgraded before this pandemic hit! Who could have guessed we would experience something like this in our lifetimes. But it worked out that I was able to get the majority of everything I wanted to achieve done. Sure I would love to have the new subs and matching Atmos speakers to replace the Advents I am using for Atmos now. But I am glad I have what I have and I am very much enjoying the system the way it currently stands. Am also keeping my eye on getting a nice popcorn machine and I will be all set for future movie nights with friends & family after this mess is all said and done!

Based on the current 4K release schedule and other movies I would love to own this is my updated purchase list.

• Spartacus (4K Blu-ray) Do not own
  • Top Gun (4K Blu-ray) upgrading Blu-ray
  • War Of The Worlds (4K Blu-ray) upgrades DVD
  • Full Metal Jacket (4K Blu-ray) upgrades HD-DVD
  • Gladiator (4K Blu-ray) upgrades Blu-ray
  • Space 1999 (Blu-ray)
  • Jaws (4K Blu-ray) upgrades DVD
  • Days Of Thunder (4K Blu-ray) upgrades DVD
  • Bad Boys For Life (4K Blu-ray) upgrades 4K digital and completes trilogy on 4K Blu-ray
  • 1917 (4K Blu-ray) Do Not Own
  • A Quite Place (4K Blu-ray)

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The above is amazing since I said I had no interest in digital but here I am but I am still focusing on physical media and supplementing my library with digital. Especially if I get it on sale which is how I am picking up digital titles only when I can get them cheap.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I may not have the funds to purchase as much content as many out there but am doing my best to support physical media releases! Yes I do buy some digital content mostly when the price is really good. But physical media is still king in my home theater and I did not invest $1k into a high end disc player to not buy physical media.

Movies on order:
Bad Boys For Life - 4K UHD Blu-ray
Jaws - 4K UHD Blu-ray (Steelbook)
Top Gun - 4K UHD Blu-ray
Days Of Thunder - 4K UHD Blu-ray
War Of The Worlds - 4K UHD Blu-ray

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
June 6th, 2020 Saturday

Arrival date was Monday, Thursday & Friday but all 5 arrived today.

20200606_175957a.jpg

20200606_180038a.jpg

Upgraded my dvd copy of Jaws to 4K UHD Blu-ray

Jaws upgrade.jpg

War Of The Worlds upgrade DVD to 4K UHD Blu-ray
20200606_182736a.jpg

20200606_183131a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks