1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My Home Theater Page

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Moritz, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Picked up both Godzilla: King Of The Monsters and Apocalypse Now both on 4K UHD Blu-ray!

20190907_124105a.

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

DFurr likes this.
  3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Ok first half of the countdown has begun! Tomorrow is Monday so I have two days on then Wednesday off! When I make it to Saturday after work the first half of the next pay period will be done and I would have gotten paid the day before going towards bills. Then it will be a rinse a repeat type of thing to get through the following week to complete the following pay period. Then the second part of the countdown begins as I count down to the actual payday which will be go into work on Monday - Tuesday then have one day off then work Thursday then wake up to my pay being deposited to my pay card.

This is how it all boils down!
    1st Week Pay Period: Sept 15th - 21st
    Pay Day: September 20th Paying Bills
    2nd Week Pay Period: Sept 22nd - 28th
    Pay Day: October 4th, 2019
    Order & Pay: Emotiva Power Amp October 4th,2019
    Emotiva says it will ship in 11 - 14 days
    Estimated Shipping Window: October 18th - 23rd
    Estimated Arrival Time Via UPS or FedEx: October 30th - November 5th!
    Birthday: November 8th

Need to modify the back plate of the a/v rack so the amplifier can pass through the back as it is to deep for the rack! May allow no more than 1/8" - 1/4" clearance for dimensions of amplifier!

[​IMG]
    By November 1st I need to have prices locked in for the Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos Speakers and this will decide where I end up buying them from!

November 1st: Around the delivery window I will get paycheck 1 of 3 for November.
    November 1st: Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos Speakers
    November 15th: Bowers & Wilkins 806 Bookshelf Speakers (Hopefully) Best Buy
    November 29th: Pay Bills
    December 13th: Payday - Christmas Money
    December 15th: Shopping At Best Buy, buying my mother a Sony 4K UHD LED TV plus tv stand, shopping for neighbor and ?? depending on finances? Might buy a good friend a Audio Control Epicenter bass control for his vehicle if I can afford it.

Start of new year! 2020

March 6th, 2020: Purchase SVS Ultra 16 Subwoofer

Some people have trouble planning long term or even beyond the following week and it is funny how some are surprised that I am planning out this far, lol. At least some say they have no idea what they are doing the next week. I need to plan things out so I know if what I am trying to do is feasible or not. I need to know will I be able to achieve the goal I set out to accomplish or am I pushing it to much? I think I might have to just call out the day the subwoofer is going to arrive or see if I can get an expedited ok for using a vacation day which might be possible. So I get paid for sitting around waiting for my sub, lol. This part seems so far away being that tomorrow is only September 16th! Just trying to finish my upgrades and keep it all on schedule!

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/xpa-3-gen3

xpag3_site_mainproductimageXPA3-1_1500x.
    MadeintheUSA_section.

Looking forward to getting my Emotiva three channel power amplifier and I will be posting my thoughts on this amplifier that will be added to my Marantz SR-8012 11 channel receiver. I have heard great things about this company and I like that the amplifier is being made here in the US instead of China! I hope others give this company a shot as it is nice to support jobs here in the US! And I love that Emotiva is doing just that using US labor!

5. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    To be fair, it’s a combination of USA and China. Not criticizing Emotiva with that. I own nine or ten of their components.

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    True they do say globally sourced parts but I like that they are assembled here in the US and that is why I said US labor.

My goals and upgrade schedule is very aggressive so when hours at work get cut unfortunately I will have to reorganize my purchase schedule. And I try to not be super rigid on my plans and stay flexible and open to an alternate piece of equipment that will make my system that much better.

Update 9/16/19

This is how it all boils down! If I have enough finances!
    1st Week Pay Period: Sept 15th - 21st
    Pay Day: September 20th Paying Bills
    2nd Week Pay Period: Sept 22nd - 28th
    Pay Day: October 4th, 2019
    Order & Pay: Emotiva Power Amp October 4th,2019
    Emotiva says it will ship in 11 - 14 days
    Estimated Shipping Window: October 18th - 23rd
    Estimated Arrival Time Via UPS or FedEx: October 30th - November 5th!
    Birthday: November 8th

Need to modify the back plate of the a/v rack so the amplifier can pass through the back as it is to deep for the rack! May allow no more than 1/8" - 1/4" clearance for dimensions of amplifier!

[​IMG]
    By November 1st I need to have prices locked in for the Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos Speakers and this will decide where I end up buying them from!

November 1st: Around the delivery window I will get paycheck 1 of 3 for November.
    November 1st or 15th: Klipsch RP-500SA Atmos Speakers
    November 15th: Bowers & Wilkins 806 Bookshelf Speakers (Postponed) Sometime after I purchase SVS Subwoofer!
    November 29th: Pay Bills
    December 13th: Payday - Christmas Money
    December 15th: Shopping At Best Buy, buying my mother a Sony 4K UHD LED TV plus tv stand, shopping for neighbor and ?? depending on finances? Might buy a good friend a Audio Control Epicenter bass control for his vehicle if I can afford it.

Start of new year! 2020
    March 6th, 2020: Purchase SVS Ultra 16 Subwoofer

Have been working on nothing but upgrades since last year around August! So I have put alot of research and labor and so far am loving what all the hard work has helped me accomplish. Currently just trying to save up the remaining money for the Emotiva amplifier!

8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Well another early day! My day off starts early which I do not mind but I might mind when I see my next paycheck. They had a mini meeting for just company in our department. They had a two question questionnaire and they wanted to know 1. If we where interested in only working 4 hours a day 5 days a week? 2. If we would be interested in choosing the days we work? Makes me think they want to turn us into part time employees! Going to do some thinking on if I really need the last upgrades or if I should just postpone or cancel the upgrades for now? We have been leaving early recently and it is not a good trend or a good sign as our department is not the only one. They sent all pickers and packers home at 11:30am today, normal time is 4:30pm! Was actually thinking about this a good part of the day at work? Thinking do I put off part of my upgrades or all of them or do I just try and get them done even if it takes longer than planned? The plus no matter what is everything is paid for 100% and everything I have right now is top notch so I am beyond happy. I could stop upgrades right now and still be ultra happy.

Will make a decision soon if I am putting off the last purchases or proceeding even if I take longer?

9. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Depending on funds I will take each item on a case by case basis but I am expecting things to get bad at work if business doesn't start picking up. As of right now I consider all remaining upgrade/purchases to be on hold unless I can scratch the money together for something.

Emotiva Amp (On Hold/Will purchase if money is available 10/4)
    Klipsch RP-500SA (On Hold)
    SVS Ultra 16 Subwoofer (On Hold)

Not worried at this point as when funds return if it happens it happens as I already have a solid system put together and will continue to enjoy what I have! On another positive note everything is paid for and nothing is on a credit card!

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

11. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Where do you work?

12. Message #1052 of 1068 Sep 25, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    After alot of serious consideration I am putting off the last of my upgrades but not permanently. Finances are getting to unstable and the hours at work unpredictable! New Atmos height speakers would be nice but I can live without them for now. A new SVS sub would be nice but I can wait and I am not even sure if I need to add amp capacity to make sure I can power the added SVS Ultra16 anyway. I will still attempt to get the three channel Emotiva power amp then I have to focus on Christmas to make sure if hours at work do not improve I will still be able to afford the gifts I am looking to get. My set up is nicer than I ever thought I could be able to get so I can not say I need better! Heck so many people do not even have what I had before my upgrades so I have nothing to complain about! Next year I need to focus on a better paying job before I am to old and companies will not hire me.

Work for a place called Fashion Nova! At my age I honestly can not afford to stay where I am to long as it is a dead end job and will never pay very well! I am early every day and do a very good job and do extra things without being asked while others are messing around but I will not be promoted because I speak my mind and they hate that.

13. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
  14. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

15. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

16. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    iTunes / Apple TV titles update

Oct6 2019a.
    Oct6 2019b.
    Oct6 2019c.
    Oct6 2019d.
    Oct6 2019e.
    Oct6 2019f.
    Oct6 2019g.
    Oct6 2019h.
    Oct6 2019i.

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Currently the plan is to go with a Emotiva three channel power amp and a SVS Ultra 16 subwoofer but there is a chance that might change to a Monolith three channel amp and dual 15" THX subwoofer. November 1st is coming fast and the decision ether way should happen as long as enough funds are available. That day should be purchase day and I need to decide if I am going to go with Emotiva or Monolith by Monoprice. Everything could get delayed or canceled for the next year or two if finances are not there!

Still need to do some upgrade on my pc and get a network switch for the home theater rack. Will be adding many 4K Blu-ray titles between next month and the end of next year. Two poster will be framed and placed on the wall next year. I hope those who are upgrading or building new home theaters are enjoying there home theater journey's as well.

18. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Dave:

I don't know how I missed this thread of yours for all these years...but I subscribed a couple pages ago and have been lurking ever since. And enjoying your thoughts and plans.

I definitely enjoy my HT journey...and consider myself blessed to have the nice things that I have.

I currently have a few new pieces of gear heading my way that are going to result in some potentially new experiences for me (Atmos audio) and am very excited about the prospect. It's a fun hobby and whenever I get to have something new it's a pretty cool thing.

19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thank you Mike for the kind words. I feel the same way and feel blessed to have what I have. Enjoy your upgrades and let me know how everything goes. Would love to see some pictures if you would like to share.

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

I had just posted these up in a thread on the Elac Debut Atmos Speakers the other day as I've been getting assistance on how best to deal with the difficult room I have.

My HT is in my living room...which is part of a 110+-year-old house. So I've two huge archways in the room (to the front hall and dining room)..with a third wall full of three big glass windows. So I'm extremely limited as to where I can put the TV, seating, etc. And the TV placement has also impacted the placement of my front speakers.

My current Denon X2000 is showing signs of dying (intermittent turning itself off) so I've got a Denon X3600h on the way. That means Atmos capability (which I'm really excited about). And I'm going to try a pair of upfiring Elac 4.2s on top of those wall mounted Polk RTi4s for the Atmos effects.

This pic is from my seating area:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    They're a little distorted from a wide-angle effect with my new iPhone 11.

And from the front hall looking towards my seating:

[​IMG]

My HT experience started nearly 20 years ago when my wife agreed to let me get an HTiB from Circuit City which consisted of a botttom-of-the-line Sony 5.1 receiver paired with a set of Jenson speakers/subwoofer. I had joined the HTF and salivated reading the posts about all the latest gear that everyone had. And little by little as my two kids grew up and private schools and colleges fell to the wayside I found I was able to get a nice piece every once in a while. And I now find myself with a 55" Panasonic plasma TV, an Oppo 203, Polk RTi4s as my fronts, RTi6s as my surrounds, a Polk CSi 5 as my center and an SVS sub (the "lowly" PB-1000...but I NEVER thought I'd have an SVS sub!). And I've got the new Denon X3600 receiver coming now. So I feel blessed to be able to enjoy the hobby with as much cool stuff as I've got.

And, someday, when the plasma dies out (not that I'm wishing it an early demise) I'll be completely 4k on the video side. I got the plasma back in 2012 and I've been reading about an awful lot of HTFers whose sets from that era are starting to crap out.

So that's all a big part of why I have been enjoying eavesdropping on your plans and ruminations. Plus, I get a big kick every time I see your pix with those big honking Altec Lansing speakers anchoring your room! :laugh:

Thanks for listening! :D

Dave Moritz likes this.