What's new

My Home Theater Page (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Still saving for my future Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel speaker to replace my current Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel. The B&W center may end up on my bedroom system and I may change out the Polk bookshelf speakers for a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers. When I upgrade the Advent Marble speakers being used for Atmos duty the Advents will be used for the bedroom system.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
July 2nd, 2019 Tuesday

Bourne Ultimatum
4K UHD Blu-ray
DTS-X 7.1.4

bourne-ultimatum-jpg.60208

The Time Machine (1960)
1080p HD / Apple TV upscaled to 4K
Dolby 5.1

the-time-machine-1960-jpg.60210

Bourne Ultimatum on 4K UHD Blu-ray in DTS-X sounded incredible through my Marantz SR-8012! And look very good on the Sony XBR55A9F 4K UHD OLED! No doubt in my mind the Marantz was the right choice to replace the older Pioneer Elite SC-05!

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
1080p HD upconverted to 4K UHD (Apple TV)
Stereo

chitty-chitty-bang-bang-jpg.60243

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Altec Port Project Update 7/4/2019

24" length 4" diameter ABF pipe cut down to 16" length and dry fitted. Getting ready to final sand and cut cross brace and use silicone sealant to assemble port assembly. Get ready to dry fit into cabinets then trace where I need to predrill holes for deck screws and bolt holes for front plate.

20190704_162652a-jpg.60300

20190704_163516a-jpg.60301

20190704_163611a-jpg.60302

20190704_171605a-jpg.60303

20190704_171713a-jpg.60304

20190704_173021a-jpg.60305

Should give you a better idea how it is oriented in the cabinet facing forward. Need to zip tie the 15" woofers being stored in the cabinet facing each other and find a place to store them elsewhere!

20190704_171900a-jpg.60306

20190516_183109a-jpg.60307

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Update on Altec port project 7/14/19

One cabinet down one to go and should be finished this Wednesday!

20190713_173611a.jpg 20190713_181758a.jpg 20190713_182129a.jpg
20190713_182617a.jpg 20190713_194040a.jpg 20190713_194520a.jpg 20190713_195353a.jpg

At some point I will sand the rest of the one cabinet and primer it and give it a temporary paint job unless I can find a place that can do a premium high gloss piano black finish in the LA area.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Klipsch RC-64 lll Center Channel Speaker coming in Aug 2019 !!!

Photoshop of what the cabinet will look like once it is in my home theater!
201900959aaa.jpg

Site Coordinator

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
In reviewing Home Theater receivers I prefer Yamaha Home theater receivers, OnKY0 bought out the home theater division of Pioneer. I read some where that a lot home theater and stereo shops received a lot of returns of Onkyo home theater receivers. Yamaha also has their music cast and a great app to run the network (Alexa enable)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
That is why I am changing over. Not sure if I am going to keep the B&W center for my Pioneer SC-05 and run B&W bookshelves with my pc or sale it off?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Home theater upgrade/purchase plans 2019 - 2020

Partially looking back to about 1 years ago where my home theater was rocking the Pioneer Elite SC-05 and Samsung 4K 9000 series UHD 55" TV. My home theater has gone through a very nice transformation and at some point here in the near future the upgrades and additions will come to an end. With issues with the HD-DVD player making it unusable I am very close to removing the player and phasing the format out. So I will be replacing HD-DVD titles with a mix of blu-ray, 4K blu-ray and digital versions of the HD-DVD titles. The Marantz SR-8012 is a awsome receiver and it's sound quality keeps impressing me. The Sony OLED TV is simply breath taking and movies look incredible! The move to Klipsch brings the speakers in line and more timber matched to my Altec A-7 speakers that I use for my L & R channels.

Additions to the Moritz Home Theater 2018 - 2019:
Marantz SR-8012 11 Channel Surround Sound Receiver
Sony XDR55A9F 4K UHD 55" OLED TV
P 32" Speaker Stands
Klipsch RP-600M Bookshelf Speakers - 2 Pair
4K Apple TV 64GB
Panasonic DP-UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

Future Upgrades & Purchases 2019 -2020:
Klipsch RC-64 lll Center Channel (Replacing Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel ) Currently in transit to retailer !
Klipsch RP-600M or Klipsch RP-500SA for Dolby Atmos/X/Auro Height Speakers ( Replacing Advent Marbles )
Klipsch SPL-150 or SVS PB16 Ultra Subwoofer ( Replacing HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer ) ?
https://www.svsound.com/products/pb16-ultra
Emotiva or Monolith Power Amplifier ?
New turntable ????
Two posters framed
Blu-ray storage furniture

https://www.jlaudio.com/home-audio-powered-subwoofers-e-sub
https://www.klipsch.com/products/spl-150-subwoofer

Possible Secondary System Upgrades & Purchases:
Bowers & Wilkins 606 Bookshelf Speakers (Replacing Polk Audio Bookshelf Speakers)
If I get the B&W bookshelf speakers then the B&W center will make it to the Pioneer SC-05 that is hooked up to my pc.
Marantz SR-6013 Surround Sound Receiver or Yamaha Receiver (Replace Pioneer SC-05)
Sony 4K UHD Blu-ray Player

At the end of this I will be focusing on building my movie collection mostly with physical discs but I will be adding digital versions to my iTunes catalog. My dream system would include a 4K projector and a 120" screen but the reality of moving into an apartment in the near future is killing that part of my dream system. So in the grand scheme I am ok with that because the quality I have achieved is honestly extremely good and my wages are crap so I could not be any happier than I am know elevating my home theater to the point it is now! There are so many days when I am watching a movie or just looking at my system and it puts a smile on my face that this is mine and it is paid for 100%.

2019 - 2020 Physical Media Purchase List:
Avengers: End Game (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Thor Trilogy (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Iron Man Trilogy (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Captain America Trilogy (4K UHD Blu-ray)
The Hulk (4K UHD Blu-ray)
The LIon King (4K UHD Blu-ray)
John Wick 3 Parabellum (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Finding Nemo (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Godzilla 1998 (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Black Hawk Down (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Hanibal (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Forest Gump (4K UHD Blu-ray)
The Matrix 2 & 3 (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Auquaman (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Overloard (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Hunter Killer (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Superman The Movie (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Mission Impossible 6 Movie Set (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Law Abiding Citizen (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Bad Boys 1 & 2 (4K UHD Blu-ray)
The Abyss 30th Anniversary (4K UHD Blu-ray)
True Lies (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Scarface (4K UHD Blu-ray)
12 Strong (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Star Wars set (4K UHD Blu-ray) First Half Of 2020
Wizard Of Oz (4K UHD Blu-ray) Late 2019 ???? Will have to read reviews to see if it worth the upgrade from the standard blu-ray.

I want to start seeing older Star Trek movies on 4K blu-ray and also 007 James Bond as well. Not to mention classics like Sound Of Music, Lawrence Of Arabia, Ben Hur and My Fair Lady. Would also like to see the following on 4K blu-ray Tombstone, Open Range, Heat, The Hobbit Trilogy and Lord Of The Rings Extended Trilogy.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel in route to retailer then to my home theater!

Next move may ether be one or two subs or a power amplifier. Am in the process of researching sub woofers and power amplifiers!

Klipsch, SVS or Monolith Subwoofer or Subwoofers

OR

Emotiva or Monolith power amplifier

All goals are on track and my home theater has never been better! I can not recommend the Marantz SR-8012 or Sony OLED enough! None of my pieces in my system are review pieces I have purchased each piece in my home theater. I have a number of retailers here in Southern California but right now my go to retailer is Value Electronics in New York! The Marantz SR-8012 is the bedrock of my home theater and the only other thing I could have done to have a more theatrical experience would have been to go with a projection system matched to a acoustically transparent projection screen. For those who do not have the room or just want a modest size screen the Sony OLED is IMHO the best choice followed by the LG OLED if your not going to go with a projector. They key to any system small or large is to love what you have and to use it as much as possible. Build it the way you like as you must be happy with what you have! I hope there are those here in the forum will enjoy my home theater thread and will take some ideas from what i have done and add it to there own to improve there home theater experience.

Site Coordinator

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
The English BLUE RAY editions of Sean Connery Bond movies have been Remastered into 5.1 audio surround sound,, check Blue Ray .com and some great war films like Tora Tora Tora are or have been Remastered into Dolby Atoms matrix.

Partially looking back to about 1 years ago where my home theater was rocking the Pioneer Elite SC-05 and Samsung 4K 9000 series UHD 55" TV. My home theater has gone through a very nice transformation and at some point here in the near future the upgrades and additions will come to an end. With issues with the HD-DVD player making it unusable I am very close to removing the player and phasing the format out. So I will be replacing HD-DVD titles with a mix of blu-ray, 4K blu-ray and digital versions of the HD-DVD titles. The Marantz SR-8012 is a awsome receiver and it's sound quality keeps impressing me. The Sony OLED TV is simply breath taking and movies look incredible! The move to Klipsch brings the speakers in line and more timber matched to my Altec A-7 speakers that I use for my L & R channels.

P 32" Speaker Stands
4K Apple TV 64GB

Klipsch RC-64 lll Center Channel (Replacing Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 S2 center channel ) Currently in transit to retailer !
Klipsch RP-600M or Klipsch RP-500SA for Dolby Atmos/X/Auro Height Speakers ( Replacing Advent Marbles )
Klipsch SPL-150 or SVS PB16 Ultra Sdubwoofer ( Replacing HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer ) ?
New turntable ????
Two posters framed

Bowers & Wilkins 606 Bookshelf Speakers (Replacing Polk Audio Bookshelf Speakers)
If I get the B&W bookshelf speakers then the B&W center will make it to the Pioneer SC-05 that is hooked up to my pc.
Marantz SR-6013 Surround Sound Receiver or Yamaha Receiver (Replace Pioneer SC-05)

At the end of this I will be focusing on building my movie collection mostly with physical discs but I will be adding digital versions to my iTunes catalog. My dream system would include a 4K projector and a 120" screen but the reality of moving into an apartment in the near future is killing that part of my dream system. So in the grand scheme I am ok with that because the quality I have achieved is honestly extremely good and my wages are crap so I could not be any happier than I am know elevating my home theater to the point it is now! There are so many days when I am watching a movie or just looking at my system and it puts a smile on my face that this is mine and it is paid for 100%.

Hanibal (4K UHD Blu-ray)
Wizard Of Oz (4K UHD Blu-ray) Late 2019 ???? Will have to read reviews to see if it worth the upgrade from the standard blu-ray.

I want to start seeing older Star Trek movies on 4K blu-ray and also 007 James Bond as well. Not to mention classics like Sound Of Music, Lawrence Of Arabia, Ben Hur and My Fair Lady. Would also like to see the following on 4K blu-ray Tombstone, Open Range, Heat, The Hobbit Trilogy and Lord Of The Rings Extended Trilogy.

Partially looking back to about 1 years ago where my home theater was rocking the Pioneer Elite SC-05 and Samsung 4K 9000 series UHD 55" TV. My home theater has gone through a very nice transformation and at some point here in the near future the upgrades and additions will come to an end. With issues with the HD-DVD player making it unusable I am very close to removing the player and phasing the format out. So I will be replacing HD-DVD titles with a mix of blu-ray, 4K blu-ray and digital versions of the HD-DVD titles. The Marantz SR-8012 is a awsome receiver and it's sound quality keeps impressing me. The Sony OLED TV is simply breath taking and movies look incredible! The move to Klipsch brings the speakers in line and more timber matched to my Altec

P 32" Speaker Stands
4K Apple TV 64GB

Klipsch SPL-150 or SVS PB16 Ultra Subwoofer ( Replacing HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer ) ?
New turntable ????
Two posters framed

Hanibal (4K UHD Blu-ray)

A-7 speakers that I use for my L & R channels.

P 32" Speaker Stands
4K Apple TV 64GB

New turntable ????
Two posters framed

Hanibal (4K UHD Blu-ray)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Dave, with Klipsch you don’t need an enormous amount of power. If you’re considering amps, I suggest you look at the Emotiva A-5175 and Outlaw 5000 to drive the front three and front surrounds, then let the 8012 drive the rest.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
That was about what I was thinking was a three channel amp and the Emotiva three channel is actually on the top of my list! :D

xpag3_site_mainproductimageXPA3-1_1200x.png

Just making sure to weigh all my options before I commit to anything.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
There is alot of consideration especially to avoid any possible buyers remorse on certain pieces of equipment.

Current Short List Of Power Amplifiers:
155941.jpg xpag3_site_mainproductimageXPA3-1_1500x.png

Current Short List Of Subwoofers:

SPL-150SW_Angle.jpg 71boHbMuEhL._SL1200_.jpg
The Klipsch is a 15" subwoofer msrp of $1,000 and it would be much easier to buy and run two of these then two of the $2,500 16" SVS Ultra 16's! The Monolith 15" sub is being considered but what ever I get need to go with my Altec A-7's and needs to be an upgrade from my current sub! I will also look into Velodyne to see if they have something that will fit what I am trying to do.

This is out of my reach!
https://soundapproach.com/velodyne-...MInrrX2-XW4wIVNB-tBh2-vQ0gEAQYAiABEgIhIvD_BwE

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks