1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My Home Theater Page

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Moritz, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Message #961 of 976 Apr 2, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Well if you would have told me I would have the gear I have now and looking at other gear as well about 1 year ago I may have said ya right. So for about the past 10 years or so I have done tones of research and gone and demoed gear on many occasions. But then I decided I really wanted to upgrade my Pioneer SC-05 that did not have 4K video switching. The Pioneer Elite stepped in and took over the duty from my Yamaha RX-V995 that did a great job for about 14 years! But I started looking and it was more than just upgrading for 4K switching. I wanted a better quality amplifier section and better room correction among other things. I also knew that I wanted Dolby Atmos and DTS-X but then Marantz had everything I wanted and I kept hearing about Auro 3D! And I knew even though Yamaha continued to make great receivers and Denon was also a great choice among other brands. The more I looked into Marantz and what was under the hood of there receivers I was looking at a Marantz SR-7012. I then kept looking at the SR-8012 and viewed the bench test video and the review from Gene DellaSala of Audioholics! I also had alot of help from a good friend Jon Gomes who is my go to consultant and who has never steered me wrong! It was then I made my decision to not buy the Marantz SR-7012 but go all out for the Marantz SR-8012! I could have gone all out for the 13 channel Denon and I am sure that is a great receiver but I can not say how happy I am with the 11 channel Marantz. This receiver has made a big difference in my home theater! The next big change in my home theater was my display and I new that after expeincing a few glitches with my Samsung 4K UHD TV that it was time. But what should I get? Should I get a LED TV with a larger screen size? That honestly was not a great choice because I do not have the room to move the equipment rack to gain the space for a wider display! The Samsung was not HDR and defiantly did not have Dolby Vision. The Marantz SR-8012 is compatible with HDR and Dolby Vision and IMAX Enhanced. So the logical choice was I need something that is going to give me the best quality picture I can get from my 4K UHD Blu-ray player or any other video source. I looked at offerings from Samsungs QLED models and LG Led TV's and even Sony LED TV's. And in the past I honestly wouldn't have touched an LG TV and wouldn't want one if you gave it to me. But like many things I could see things at LG changed and I purchased a 43" LG 4K UHD TV that I use with my pc. But I wanted something better than what my LG HDR 4K display was going to bring to the table for my home theater. I looked at LG and Sony OLED 4K displays and once again talked with my friend and consultant Jon. I also watched reviews and did research on tv's and what my friend said weighed in for what I was going to get. Then Value Electronics had there 2019 TV shootout and it help lock in the TV I had chosen with the help of the input I got from my friend. I had chosen the Sony XBR55A9F 55" 4K UHD OLED TV!

The next move was to upgrade my surround speakers to Klipsch RP-600M's and I also got speaker stands so they would be at the correct height when sitting watching movies. I am still in the middle of moving to Klipsch sound to to with my vintage Altec Lancing Voice Of The Theaters and for now I am keeping the HSU VTF-3 MK5HP Subwoofer. I am planning to do a review on the Sony OLED and also the future Emotiva three channel power amp! But over the past year my home theater has gone through a great transformation and has been elevated to a much better home theater. This is all being tied together with AudioQuest cables to make sure the sound is not effected in a negative way and that I have good quality cables. I hope that this might inspire others to build the home theater of there dreams and to let others know that even if you have to save and get things one at a time you can do it and you will love the results of your hard work! It is very satisfying to sit down to a system that gives you that awesome picture and the audio performance to enjoy your movies and or music on. I will also say that the best system is one you love to use! Does it do everything you need it to do or everything you want it to do? It is nice if other people like your system but do you like what you have? This is actually the best time to be in this hobby as we have never had the quality playback that we now have! The quality and flexibility of today's home theater has never been so good!

Brands My HT-2a.

2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

4. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Purchased some movies last night and am waiting for the arrival of the following movies:

On or before 4/10
    2001: A Space Odyssey (4K UHD Blu-ray)
    The Dark Knight (4K UHD Blu-ray)
    Pet Sematary (4K UHD Blu-ray)

4/23 Preorder
    Alien (4K UHD Blu-ray)

20181228_201236a.

7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Added an 4K Apple TV 64gb and purchased four 4K blu-rays and one bluray movie and the day before three 4K blu-rays arrived.

20190413_173533a.
    20190413_174038a.
    20190412_193026a.
    20190413_175505a.

8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    What I have

IMG_2519a.

What My Neighbors Think I Have

maxmaxmain-625x350.

ROFL

9. Message #969 of 976 May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    RIP Peter Mayhew (Chewbaca) Dead @ 74

chewy-compos.

We lost the following beloved Star Wars actors:
    Alex McCrindle (General Jan Dodanna) 1990
    Sebastian Shaw (dying Anakin Skywalker in Return Of The Jedi) 1994
    Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin) 1994
    Alec Guinness (Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi) 2000
    Shelagh Fraser (Aunt Beru) 2000
    William Hootkins (Jek Porkins) 2005
    John Hollis (Lando Calrissian's Assistant) 2005
    Phil Brown (Uncle Owen) 2006
    Christopher Lee (Count Dooku) 2015
    Carrie Fisher (Princes Leia Organa) 2016
    Peter Mayhew (Chewbaca) 2019

May the force be with them! We have lost so many in the Star Wars universe and so many have gone home to be part of the force!

Harrison Ford is currently 76 ,Mark Hamill is currently 67 and Anthony Daniels is 73.

10. Message #970 of 976 May 16, 2019 at 10:08 PM
    Last edited: May 16, 2019 at 10:23 PM
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Here we go the new Panasonic UB9000 4K UHD Blu-ray player is on it's way and I can not thank Robert Zohn enough for all his help! Give this man a shot at your business at Value Electronics!

Was looking at a Sony 4K blu-ray player to replace/upgrade my 1st generation Samsung 8500 4K UHD Blu-ray player. But the more I looked into it and the more I heard about it the Panasonic is the 4K player to own. And considering the money I have invested in the Marantz SR-8012 11 channel receiver and the Sony XBR55A9F 4K UHD OLED TV it seems like a no brainer! And it is the only one with an HDR optimizer!

HJQ8CncReQuRc326vG9Cac.
    panasonic-ub9000-rear-panel-100792726-large.

https://www.valueelectronics.com/Panasonic_DMP-UB900.php

201900959aaa.

Brands My HT-2bbb.

11. Angal Faria

Angal Faria Auditioning

Angal Faria
    Your hardworking give now fruit. Your research doesn't go false. The pioneer must help you in every field.
    Thanks for sharing this info.

12. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    My understanding is that if you aren't ever going to use a projector, the 820 is probably as good, aside from construction quality. Is that correct? I currently have a plasma, and will go OLED once it kicks the bucket.

13. Message #973 of 976 May 17, 2019 at 6:35 PM
    Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 6:48 PM
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    The 9000 if your going OLED will be the better fit with the HDR optimizer which to my knowledge the 820 doesn't have. And the 9000 has stereo balance XLR outs. I would be willing to bet the scaler and parts and drive are all a step up from the 820. But if your going OLED I would go with the 9000 like I did. If you live outside of NY no tax or shipping if you get the player through Value Electronics.

My UB9000 is scheduled to arrive this coming Wednesday!

https://www.valueelectronics.com/Panasonic_DMP-UB900.php

https://www.valueelectronics.com/Panasonic_UB820.php

14. JohnRice

John
    I thought the 820 had the (more or less) same HDR optimizer.

FWIW, analog audio is not important to me, as I play back HD music using an Emotiva DC-1 and XSP-1 preamp that nothing in the 9000 will hold a candle to, as far as sonic quality goes. Currently I play back HD music files with an Oppo BDP-103 and app.

15. JohnRice

John
    Dave, identical descriptions of the HDR Optimizer are right there on the pages you linked to both player.

16. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    mmmm Going to decide what my first few movies will be once the Panasonic is here!