What's new

My Home Theater Page (2 Viewers)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Christmas movies 2018 and the last movies of the year! 4K UHD Blu-ray collection now up to 109 titles!

20181224_145915a.jpg

20181228_195255a.jpg

Next purchase 1/10/2019 Sony XBR55A9F OLED 4K TV !

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Not sure if you can say gone full circle but my first so called HDTV was a Sony Wega 50" rear projection with a Sony 1080p Blu-ray player! Then I upgraded to a Samsung UN55F9000 55" 4K UHD TV and it is paired with a Samsung UBD-K8500 4K UHD Blu-ray Player. And now it looks as if that will be upgraded to a Sony XBR55A9F OLED 4K TV and a little later the Samsung 4K player will get replaced by a Sony UBPX-1000ES 4K Blu-ray Player. Back round to Sony except for the monster Marantz SR-8012 I recently upgraded to!

I expect to be posting a review of the SR-8012 soon!

Daves HT 6_07a.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0087a.jpg

IMG_7180a.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My TV history from CRT to rear projection to flat panel display.

Toshiba 31" CRT Television
Daves stereo 1995 01.jpg

Sony Wega 50" Rear Projection HDTV
IMG_0037.jpg

Samsung 55" 4K UHD TV (Home Theater Display)
IMG_0087a.jpg

LG 43" 4K UHD TV (Bedroom Display / Computer Display)
20181112_193637a.jpg

Coming Soon Sony XBR55A9F OLED 4K TV
a9f-design-large.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Video disc players I have owned over the years!

Marantz LV520 Laser Disc Player
IMG_5061a.jpg

Panasonic DVD Player (Don't remember the model number but purchased in 1997 or 1998) Picture Not Available

Denon DVD Player
20190101_112852a.jpg

Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/CD/SACD Player
IMG_0621s.jpg

Toshiba HD-DVD Player
IMG_0026a.jpg

Sony Blu-ray Player
Sony Players 4_20_12a.jpg

Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player
20190101_101146a.jpg

Denon Blu-ray Player
Denon DBP 1611UD.jpg

Samsung 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
IMG_7184a.jpg

Coming Soon

Sony UBPX-1000ES 4K Blu-ray Player
5779100_sd.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The Oppo was alot more expensive but it is a really nice player. One of the things I wanted was SACD and DVD-A capability plus a player to match my new Sony OLED.

Well I am looking at approximately 64 hours away from paying for my Sony XBR55A9F OLED 4K TV! Can not wait to set up the new Sony and hook it up to my Marantz SR-8012 11 channel receiver. Currently saving up for Klipsch RP-600M Reference Bookshelf Speakers which two pair will be used for surround channels and two more pair for height Atmos/X/Auro. New Sony 4K blu-ray player after that then the matching Klipsch SC-64 lll center channel and I will be close to finishing all my upgrades. Am most likely going to get a Klipsch subwoofer and if not a SVS sub and a Emotiva three channel amp. Other than that a few new AudioQuest cables and some new speaker wire and my home theater will be elevated way above where it used to be!

Current Home Theater Config.
IMG_2075a.jpg

Bedroom system
20181112_193637a.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Tomorrow I purchased the Sony XBR55A9F 55" OLED 4K TV!

Pictures to follow!

Next goal: Klipsch RP-600M Reference Bookshelf Speakers! Coming late Feb 2019

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Will not be long before I have full HDR & Dolby Vision from player to display! And full immersive audio once I get my bookshelf speakers as I currently do not have any speakers to wire to the height channels.

More to come!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 15th, 2019 Tuesday 12:41 PM

Waiting on phone call from delivery service!

Sony coming home to the Moritz Home Theater!

01f4c787-4fa0-4ba2-b174-b520f5f04002._CR0,0,1464,600_PT0_SX1464__.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
My Samsung UN55F9000 4K UHD TV has served me well but lately it has developed little issues and it will be replaced. I will be boxing it and saving it for a bedroom tv after the new Sony XBR55A9F 4K UHD HDR/Dolby Vision TV arrives tomorrow!

Last movie on the Samsung as my home theater display was the 1961 20th Century Fox movie The Innocents from blu-ray on Criterion disc.

Tomorrow between 9am and 3pm the new Sony will arrive which is the follow up upgrade to the Marantz SR-8012 11 channel receiver.

Sony has come home to the Moritz Home Theater!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
January 16th, 2019 Wednesday

First HDTV
IMG_1357a.jpg

IMG_1387a.jpg

Then came my flagship Samsung UN55F9000 4K UHD 55" TV and later on I upgraded the Evolution kit to upgrade to HDCP 2.2 so I could get 4K blu-ray to the tv as the Evolution kit is the external hdmi box for the tv. I purchased this tv almost 5 years ago.

IMG_1990a.jpg

And now today I had my new Sony XBR55A9F flagship 4K OLED HDR/Dolby Vision 55" TV delivered! So you could say Sony has come home to the Moritz Home Theater. This is the best companion to the Marantz SR-8012 11 channel receiver that I just got last year!

IMG_2327a.jpg

IMG_2353a.jpg

Right out of the box the picture is amazining and beats the Samsung ever after I tweeked the picture. I tested a number of scenes from 4K blu-ray and standard blu-ray and wow! I can not wait to get this new OLED dialed in and see how much better the picture will look.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you told me about 4 years ago my home theater would have the receiver and display I have now I would not have believed it! It was back in March of 2012 that I brought the Pioneer Elite home from the pawn shop where I found it. I had my Yamaha RX-V995 from about 1998 and it remained my main surround receiver till about 3/12/12. So I went about aprox 13.5 years with the same Yamaha 5.1 receiver from DVD to HD Blu-ray and HD-DVD! The Pioneer SC-05 finally brought me 1080p HD video switching and lossless audio decoding! The Pioneer SC-05 became my primary home theater receiver 3/12/12 and remained through my addition of the Samsung 4K UHD TV and Samsung 4K UHD Blu-ray player. On October 4th, 2018 my current Marantz SR-8012 arrived and became my main surround sound receiver and I am beyond happy with how good it sounds. On that date I finally finished the upgrade that gave me a full 4K video chain from player to receiver to display! How ever the Samsung was not an HDR or Dolby Vision capable display even though it was a flagship display almost 5 years ago. The purchase / addition of the Sony XBR55A9F not only upgraded the Samsung but gave me full HDR from player to receiver to display. This year I intend to expand that to not only HDR but Dolby Vision from player to receiver to display when I add the upcoming Sony 4K UHD Blu-ray player to my home theater. When I got into surround I had Dolby Pro Logic and I had three different brands of speakers even back then. My Altec A-7's with a Polk CS-100 center channel and no name bookshelf speakers with unknown drivers inside. Even today I still do not have the same brand of speakers in my home theater even though I know it would be better if I did. Currently I still have my Altec A-7's as my left and right speakers as I did before. But the Polk CS-100 center was upgraded to a Bowers & Wilkins HTM-61 S2 center 8/15/15 so I have had that center speaker for over 3 years and Adven Marbles that I have had since about sometime in 2004. Things how ever are changing and the B&W center will be moved out of the home theater set up and boxed till I add the Bower & Wilkins 606 S2's to my Pioneer Elite that was moved into my bedroom system where my pc is. So if everything goes as planned this year will see my home theater with the Altec A-7's remaining and for the first time the center and rear channel speakers will not only match but all be the same brand! So Altec A-7's as left and right, Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel speaker and 2 pair of Klipsch RP-600M reference bookshelf speakers for the surrounds. And another two pair of RP-600M's for my Atmos/X/Auro 3D height channels. So this should be the year to have immersive audio in my home theater. This has taken my many years to get to this point and one upgrade at a time scrimping and saving to get where I am at. So if you want to upgrade your system or build a new system if you want it bad enough trust me you can do it! If someone like me on limited funds can build a home theater of this quality you can do it as well. Do not be afraid to take your time and save like crazy! Build the best system you can and you will not be sorry! Throughout this thread there are lots of pictures of where I started and how my system has evolved over the many years. Feel free to look through my thread and check it out.

So by summer time my speakers should be Altec & Klipsch with the HSU subwoofer. I may just end up changing my HSU to a Klipsch subwoofer or a monster SVS subwoofer! If you want a monster sub then SVS is a great choice! The only thing that will keep me from getting an SVS is I may be moving into an apartment this year. And to be honest I do not know what I will do if I can not have space for my A-7's!

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
First pair of Klipsch reference bookshelf speakers will be purchased 2/7/19. Next purchase Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel speaker!

Klipsch RB-600M.jpg

Previous Sony TV
IMG_1291.jpg

My Sony TV now
IMG_2353a.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Words do not describe how happy I am with my new Sony XBR55A9F 4K UHD OLED TV! My home theater is better than ever especailly after adding both Marantz SR-8012 11 channel surround sound receiver & Sony XBR55A9F 4K UHD OLED TV. Hoping to be purchasing two pair of Klipsch RP-600M Reference Bookshelf Speakers for my surrounds tomorrow. The plan is to purchase a Klipsch RC-64 lll center channel speaker to match the 600M's in the near future. I want to add two more pair of 600M's for Atmos height channels but it will be tricky to be able to suspend those from the ceiling where I am currently living. But right now I am on cloud 9 and couldn't be happier with my home theater. I hope many of you are at that place where your very happy with what you have. If you want to make it better put the money aside and if it takes some time to get it done do not give up make it happen for yourself!

I can stop upgrading and buying gear for my home theater after the new center channel and be ok with doing nothing else for a number of years. That is not to say that I do not want to upgrade my Samsung 4K UHD blu-ray and I am considering an AppleTV 4K 64GB to add on to the home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    vasyear
    Recent bookmarks