What's new

My Home Theater Page (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Ok while I am in the middle of my savings binge to get a new Sony 55" A9F OLED I am working on cleaning things up and upgrading some cables going to and from my Marantz SR-8012. I may decide to go with a higher end cable than the AudioQuest Cinnamon for the cable that will feed the HDMI output from the receiver to the tv and upgrade the Cinnamon from the 4K blu-ray to the SR-8012. I will also be looking to upgrade some analog cables then do some serious cable management. I also still need to get some material and make a new back plate for the a/v rack.

Here is the before and after installing more Monster banana plugs on the speaker wire.

IMG_2239a.jpg

IMG_2242a.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Currently researching what my best choices are for rear speakers which will translate to what speakers I will use for the Dolby Atmos height channels! Currently my center channel is a Bowers & Wilkins HTM-61 S2 that I purchased about 3 years ago to upgrade my Polk Audio CS100 center channel. My initial choice in rear speakers to take the place of my current Advent Marble two way speakers was the Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2 bookshelf speaker but that was changed to the better Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2 bookshelf speaker. But now I am reevaluating and looking at three of the following options!

Keep the current Bowers & Wilkins HTM-61 S2 center channel and purchase two pair of Bowers & Wilkins 606 S2 bookshelf speakers. Then later on after I have been using the current Advents for Atmos speakers replace them with two pair of same 606 S2 bookshelf speakers.

Switch to Monitor Audio which would most likely mean replacing my over 3 year old Bowers & Wilkins HTM-61 S2 center channel with a Monitor Audio. Then also getting 4 pair total of Monitor Audio bookshelf speakers in 2 separate batches.

The third choice is to also replace the Bowers & Wilkins HTM-61 S2 center channel with a Klipsch RC-61 lll center channel speaker and instead get matching Kplisch RP-600M bookshelf speakers in 2 separate batches like I would have to do no matter what.

The plus with the Klipsch choice is a higher efficiency rating and the Klipsch having horn loaded compression drivers just like my Altec Lancing A-7 speakers that are my left & right speakers. Hoping to have my decision by 1/3/19 the day I purchase the new Sony XBR-55A9F 55" 4K UHD OLED TV.

Upgrade Schedule:
Sony XBR-55A9F 55" 4K UHD OLED TV
? Bookshelf Speakers
Sony UBPX-1000ES 4K Blu-ray Player (Current Samsung 4K player will get moved into bedroom and be re connected to the Pioneer SC-05 surround reciever and the LG 4K UHD TV).
If not going with Bowers & Wilkins bookshelf speakers, ? center channel speaker
? 2nd set of 2 pair of bookshelf speakers identical to 1st set of 2 pair purchased previously.

At this point I will ether be done with upgrades for the forseable future or I may be looking at a power conditioner and a few other things. If just the power conditioner then maybe some older gear like a 1970's Marantz two channel stereo receiver and a pair of JBL L100 speakers. Other than that I will be taking a break in the near future and the only possible future upgrade may be a 8K display. But based on available income after the 2nd set of bookshelf speakers that may be the last serious cash I spend for some time. I will just focus on building my movie library with as many discs as I can get. I also need to try and have two movie posters framed!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Last of my movies ordering for the year!

All Blu-ray movies:
Mimic (3 Movie Set) $9.99
American Graffiti $9.99
Event Horizon $8.99
Rocky Collection Steel Case (6 Movies, Rocky 1-5 and Rocky Balboa) $19.99 - $3.33 per title

So for $53.61 I am picking up 11 HD Blu-ray movies

No more movies this year until I get the new TV unless I get a Best Buy Gift Card for Christmas!

American Graffiti.jpg Mimic 3 Film Set.jpg
Event Horizon.jpg Rocky Collection.jpg

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
There are some intense scenes in that movie that is for certain jeffreybomb! I can not wait to get this and decode it as Auro surround sound.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
These just arrived!

20181201_170939a.jpg

So for $53.61 I am picking up 11 movies on blu-ray so I think I did ok! So about $4.87 per movie!

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Well my Samsung UN55F9000 55" 4K UHD TV seems to have picked up another quirk / issue yesterday! Besides the tv switching away from the only HDMI source connected from time to time. And besides the volume control not functioning when the surround receiver is off. I can not turn the volume up or down or mute the sound. Now every time the tv is turned off the picture mode reverts to Standard every time no mater what other mode the tv was set to before it was turned off! Makes me wonder how much longer this tv will function before it fails 100%. Am saving for a new tv so it doesn't make sense to spend the money on this one to replace the main computer board in the tv! I might put it aside and look into cost of repair at a later date unless it is cheaper to buy another 55" 4K TV vs fixing this one for a bedroom tv. Plus the Samsung is not HDR and a new tv with HDR that would cost less would be a better choice overall. Sometimes you just have to let something go no matter how much you paid for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks