1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My Home Theater Page

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Moritz, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    That repetitive stuff seems like that is what takes it toll. I have alot of problems with repetitive stuff as well and I am pushing 54. Hope your able to get your shoulder taken care of and hope your employer does what they are supposed to. The easiest and best thing for you might be to make the transfer because switching to another job is a real pain. You sure have alot of burdens and I hope things get better for you. I have been struggling for so long I have not been able to put away for the future and that is going to bite me one day. I don't think I will be able to retire until the day I am not able to work, I sure do not see myself retired even at 67. And the scary part is that is less than 14 year away. It sure has added a sense of urgency recently trying to get back into a decent paying job. So many places do not want to pay and I don't see how so many low income people can even put a roof over there heads. Especially here in Southern California the rent is to high and cost of living is high as well. I hope it is sooner rather than later because this can not go on much longer. I do have to start over and my apartment will be alittle on the emplty side once I can get out. But hopefully I can find a place like the good will that might have furniture, like a table and sofa. But I will worry about that later. I thought about going back to driving a truck over the road but besides not wanting to live out of a truck 2-3 weeks at a time and having to exist on fast food on the road. There is being gone all the time and not being able to ejoy anything and the most important is child support services taking my license and I am not going to play that game again with a CDL.

I have worked a number of jobs over the years. I have over 10 years of customer service, over 10 years of retail sales, over 4 years of being a commercial trailer mechanic, over 11 years of warehouse experience. I have worked as a pc tech, auto mechanic, trailer mechanic, truck driver, assembly line worker (55 gallon drums), order picker, parts driver, starter & alternator re builder. I build my own pc's and even rebuilt my own car (1969 Camaro). Unfortunately I don't have the Camaro anymore and am surprised I did not die when I crashed it. Never got it painted, never got the rims I wanted and the 12 bolt posi I wanted. Started with a stock 6 cylinder and took that out and replaced it with a built 350 small block and purchased a transmission from the neighbors friend who built it up. I miss that car!

Untitled (a).
    Whittier Camaros 1987_b.
    wertwe a.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    A look back to May 2009

IMG_1052a.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz

Denon repl95 sm.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  4. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Well you have so many skills you have to find something. I've done the same thing since high school. Cost of living in Boston is high as well. Some of the rents around my area are between 2and 3ooo $. That is way too high. I would really struggle if I was on my own. Called my employers insurance directly after getting number from MA. industrial accident agency. Woman that helped me on the phone was 70 yrs old and a widower and very helpful and kind and understanding. This was the corporate office, and there were so many subdivisions took a while to filter to my specific company but I had all the information she needed. We filled out the form my boss wouldn't give me on the phone. She sent me a copy via email one to my companies insurance company and one to MA. industrial accident agency. She told me I would have a claim number by Monday morning to take to the Dr when I see her at 2. Monday morning should be interesting in work, my boss who is co owner of company, will be ticked off. Went right around his stalling and got it done myself. Told the wife and was surprised at her response. Was expecting major argument but she was understanding that it wasn't my fault. She mostly was sad. A little panicky on paying bills and realizes we cant redo entire house. Probably finish 1st floor rent that out and still live upstairs with minor remodel. Best financial way to go. Daughter disappointed but still good deal for her. She will still get a good house with rental income and we will still help her financially and babysitting till she finishes classes at night commuity college, then she can work as a drug counselor. Believe me she could write her own book for that course. I thank god have all my gear payed for and am very happy with it so upgrades will be out of the question unless I find a new source of income. I will still follow this forum and AV industry but for now mostly concentrating on room acoustics.
    Talk soon and best on your quest.

5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    It is sad that anyone would have to do what you did because there employer is dragging there feet. You did the right thing because if they are not going to take care of you then you need to do it like you did. They may try to get back at you so you might want to watch your back.At least your getting some work done to the house even if your not able to do everything you want now. Hopefully your boss doesn't give you attitude because you did what you had to do.

I know how you feel about your upgrades and having your gear paid off. That is the one thing I am happy about is that I owe no one and paid cash for the things I have been able to upgrade or purchase for my HT or computer. I have been able to pay for it upfront so I owe nothing.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  6. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I'll just catch the next wave. I am old enough to know things go up and down. Things will go up again. And down too. Wife is taking it hard like a death. I grew up poor as hell she was lucky with upper middle class, so I have felt rich all my life and still feel very fortunate. I hope she comes round. We have just enough back up in savings for retirement that we could pay off equity entirely stop the remodel on just the first floor without going to the second and creating a third and rent out the first floor and be comfortable financially just crowded with 1 bathroom. I can think of much worse scenarios. My boss can fire me.LOL. In three to four weeks I won't be there so maybe it is my turn to bust his chops. Either way I remain optimistic. Good things happen to good people and santa knows I have been a good boy. Gotta get back to insulating.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  7. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I look back at the jobs I busted my rear at and how I struggled to get beyond the $12 - $15/hr range. And I feel so lucky to have what I have had and to have what I have now. And it was beyond amazing that I ever had a McIntosh MX-130 surround sound pre pro! And I managed it while making around $14/hr because I was stubborn and because I got very lucky and a friend offered to let me use his credit card and I made the payments. I know now that having something this awesome will never again happen in my lifetime!

Daves MX130 1995.

Daves McIntosh 1995.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  8. Message #548 of 822 Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Titles on my want to purchase list:
    4K UHD Blu-ray

It is a large list so I will get what I can and get what I want the most at the time. My goal is to build a 4K library as that is my master quality goal and that is where I have to draw the line. There just comes a time where buying titles over and over doesn't make sense and past 4K doesn't make sense to me at least. And how much better can the audio get beyond DTS HD Master Audio, DTS-X, Dolby True HD and Dolby Atmos? Age combined with how good the current video & audio formats are equals good enough and the end of the line.

Fantastic Beasts And Where To Find Them
    Underworld
    Expendables 1-3
    Underworld: Bloodwars
    Divergent Series
    Logan
    The Great Wall
    Life
    Snitch
    Dredd
    King Kong
    Kong: Skull Island
    Ghost In The Shell
    Prometheus
    Guardians Of The Galaxy
    Red 1 & 2
    Dracula Untold
    Conan The Barbarian (2011)
    The Purge Trilogy
    Wonder Woman
    The Bridge On The River Kwai
    Bram Stoker's Dracula
    Deadpool
    Man Of Steel
    Westworld (Season 1)
    Jumanji (1995)
    American Assassin
    Transformers 1-4
    Kingsman: The Golden Circle
    Dunkirk
    Inception ?
    Batman Trilogy (Christopher Nolan)
    Blade Runner 2049 ?
    Groundhog Day
    Cloverfield
    Jigsaw
    Daddy's Home
    Lara Croft: Tomb Raider & Cradle Of Life
    The Prestige
    Thor: Rognarok
    Blue Planet 1 & 2
    Justice League
    The Shape Of Water
    Knowing
    The Incredible Hulk
    The Post
    Maze Runner: Scortch Trials & Death Cure
    A Few Good Men
    The Commuter
    Grease
    Gladiator
    Saving Private Ryan
    Die Hard
    Black Panther
    Braveheart
    Jurassic Park
    The Matrix
    Fury
    The Patriot
    Escape Plan
    Terminator: Genisys
    Forest Gump
    Mission Impossible 1-4
    Darkest Hour

Current 4K library
    IMG_0961a.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  9. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Wow you have a nice collection

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thank you Bob

This is 4K blu-ray and 1080p blu-ray A-L
    IMG_0964a.

1080p blu-ray L-Z/Numbered, HD-DVD's and a few stray DVD's that did not yet get packed up. I might be packing up the HD-DVD's and the player as I have not made up my mind yet.
    IMG_0963a.

I am amazed on some other peoples collections as they are truly huge and very impressive. But while there is nothing special about this collection I very much enjoy it. My HD Blu-ray collection started back around 2008 so this is almost 10 years of purchasing back when I got my first 1st generation Sony blu-ray player. At some point if I can I want to get my laserdisc player serviced so I can watch some of those movies.

IMG_0623a.

Followed up by my dream Denon player at the time. I thought about an Oppo for awhile after getting the Denon but was happy enough with the Denon. And in 2016 I moved to a Samsung 4K blu-ray. At some point in the future if I am able I would love to upgrade the Samsung to an Oppo 4K or what ever else is close to it. Never know what the future will have in-store and what will happen. My first DVD player was a Panasonic which I thought was very nice.

IMG_1156a.

11. Message #551 of 822 Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    I'm curious. Does anyone do things like separate out "exotic" labels from the others, like Criterion and Twilight Time? For some reason, one day I took those out and put them all together, but now I'm wondering why. I have quite a few Criterion, and a lot of Twilight Time, as in, I'd guess, 60-70, maybe more. I know you often have to put stuff with unusual packaging by itself, but what about things like that?

And then there's director collections. I have several, including Eastwood, Kubrick, Coen Bros, Atom Egoyan, David Lynch, but then have other movies of theirs as well. Do you put the other movies with the director collections? In that case, it seems to make sense, so you don't have to search around for which ones are in collections or not.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  12. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    Dave and Bob, so sorry to hear of your troubles. But thanks for the reality check. I'm far from rich but I am comfortable. Job is secure, as long as my body can handle the work load for another 8-9 years. Although, with the way I spend money my old joke is when I'm 70 I'll be standing at the front door with my walker saying "welcome to Walmart!". But that little diddy seems a bit in-appropriate here :blush: .

Anyway, I hope things work out for the both of you. Here in the S.F Bay Area we can't find enough applicants at any level. Un-employment in the region is at an all-time low. People who shouldn't be parking cars for Hertz or Enterprise are landing decent full-time jobs. And people like me are paying the price for it by working 10-14 hours a day doing the things they just don't want do. It's crazy.

So, even though I haven't contributed around here too much over the last few years (over worked and what little knowledge I have about this stuff pretty much ended with HDMI 1.3) I still lurk occasionally and smile when I see some familiar names. So really..the best of luck to you both.

As for disk media storage, most of my cd's are in a Pioneer Elite 301-disk cd changer in one room or an Integra (Pioneer knock-off) dvd changer in another. But I have a copy of a few of my very favorite discs in both rooms (Damn I'm lazy!) But the empty jewel cases are stored in some of those cute little cloth-lined baskets, usually by genre. Never thought to categorize them by studio or Director. Learn something new every day.

Cheers, and don't give up. Keep looking forward :) .

Dave Moritz and Bob Bielski like this.
  13. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Thanks Gene,
    I used to work 12 hours a day, and every Saturday. I didn't like it, no life but nice money. Employment in Northeast isn't that bad but my industry is dying like optical discs. I love the internet, but hard to compete with instantaneous results. Newspapers were first print medium to get wacked hard, and I have seen a lot of radio stations hurting also. We have to roll with the changes. I am an avid reader, and I mean on the internet, what I have learned recently is that AI artificial intelligence is making leaps and bounds as well as robotics. They are predicting a lot of menial jobs and some complex will all be done by robots, that can learn, reminds me of the movies Terminator. Take the work now if you can handle it and bank it for a rainy day. Max out an IRA for a tax write off, or if you are young enough open a Roth IRA as oppoed to traditional IRA and pay tax up front no write off. That way all the interest is tax free.

14. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have not done that. The only thing I have done is separate by format and each format is in alphabetical order.

15. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Just wanted to share a tidbit with you Dave.
    https://www.widescreenreview.com/news_detail.php?id=21101
    I guess besides room acoustics I better start paying more attention to computers and all the separate components inside. Will need to be able to upgrade sound cards and hard drives. I would imagine the processors should start becoming upgradeable without having to swap out the mother f#%&@#n board. I guess it never ends. Change.

16. Message #556 of 822 Apr 22, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have my pc that should be good for awhile and I can stream to the blu-ray player or dish network box on the home theater set up. But I honestly do not really care about streaming. If I am not watching a disc, live tv/satellite then I am watching something off the dvr. I have internet that has good speed (150mb/sec download and upload). I just can not get into streaming content even though I have registered ultraviolet codes on Vudu. I would rather watch the disc version with lossless audio vs going back to Dolby Digital. I did want to see the movie The Thinning but I am not paying for Youtube just to watch that and besides I thought it was ridiculous to have satellite and netflix then turn around and pay for Youtube and Amazon. Will this ever end because now we have CBS online that they charge for. I would like to check out Star Trek Discovery but not paying another fee for that ether. I dread the day when more and more things are streaming and people have to pay for each of these services especially since more and more of them are producing there own content. Entertainment is getting even more expensive if you want more and more options and IMHO they still are not as good as the disc versions.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  17. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Amen

I always found the disc looking and sounding much better. Still I can't wait to do some hi rez file downloads or streaming to see if I can hear the difference.

18. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Another thing I have against streaming is besides not owning it is if my finances tank to the point I have to loose internet I would loose the movies. On top of that if there is copyright issues or what ever contract disputes with the studio or distribution then the movie gets pulled until the legal junk has passed. I know there are some movies with Dolby Atmos tracks and a small number of lossless maybe. Then there is the money side of getting alot of hard drive space to store the content. And I do not do cloud garbage because not secure and you have to have internet. If you try it I hope it works out for you. That is the beauty of this hobby is that there are more ways to do something and it is not a matter of only one way. I hate not being able to hold something in my hand and I honestly don't feel like I own it and wonder where did my money go? IMHO if there going to sell virtual copies of content they should be less expensive than the physical versions.

IMG_2616a.

Bob Bielski likes this.
  19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Tomorrow will be fun! Going to a 35mm screening of Fight Club!

Bob Bielski likes this.
  20. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Very nice