1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My Home Theater Page

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Moritz, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Sorry to hear about your computer. Hope you had backups on an external hd. I had no problems with Direct TV but money is tight and a service provider came around and bundled Dish Network with Frontier for a great price locked in for 2 years so I agreed. It is sad that streaming seems to be taking over and the way it is going is you will not have access to music or movies without internet or smart phone service. Two things that are disturbing to me is that the model has moved towards buying a viewing or listening license and not ownership of content. And moving towards a delivery system that requires you to have internet access or you will not have access to music or movies. This means lower income people and those who do not have internet will not be able to watch movies unless they have a antenna for local channels or cable/satellite tv. And there are alot of people that do not have enough bandwidth for HD content so forget about streaming 4K content. This is one of the things where the future doesn't look better even though some will argue it is better to free content from a physical format, I disagree and feel they should at least coexist for as long as possible. Anyway I am getting use to new channel numbers and how Dish is laid out. The provider said they would handle the cancellation of Direct and I am waiting for confirmation of the cancellation of service. I hope they add more 4K content soon and some 4K channels.

2. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Too lazy to always backup but I should. I had the shop transfer the data from the old hard drive. New machine has both optical and semiconductor hard drive. Very happy with speed and possibilities. I agree with the streaming crap. I always saw an improvement with the actual disc rather than compressed streaming. I haven't had experience with uncompressed hi res files yet. I have a great deal of bandwith and using cat5 wich can handle over 100megs. I still like to own my media. What sucks is vinyl then cassettes now CDs Laser Discs and DVDs all going in the trash. I have media of all sorts and keep the machines to play back. It is sort of nostalgic but fun as well. I have to admit when some format is inferior though. But I can show my grandaughter all the formats including 8track. Any luck with the employment hunt? I turned 62 on the 15th so I hope to get fired or layed off. My wife makes good money and if this house ever gets done we will have a rental income of over 2000$ a month to pay down the equity loan to remodel. Wish you the most luck! Keep plugging that is what succesfull people do and after a bunch of failures success is the final result. I am ready for a nervous breakdown with out my gear in use. No music and no movies everything is mothballed for the babies safety. She is on the verge of talking. Can't wait to make an audiophile out of her LOL.

3. John Dirk

John Dirk Screenwriter
    Supporter

JOHN
    I agree with you and I'm worried about the future as it pertains to this topic. I'm a "techie" through and through but I suspect many of the younger folks anxious to go along with the proposed streaming and license based world of tomorrow don't really understand what they are giving up. How can you appreciate hi rez audio if you grew up with nothing more than smart phones and iTunes? Similarly, how can you appreciate the value of a physical disc when the Internet predates you and you just assume having it is a basic right? I've never exactly been a hoarder before but I'm thinking it's time to start hoarding physical media.

4. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I would fo it. Quality is going out of style and people will pay for it.

5. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    one of my most annoying problems has always been a lack of standards. I mean signal quality. No matter how good your system and how good the calibration to reproduce accurately there is always the vulnerability of the original signal. We all have super good recordings weather it by audio or video, and the system really is enjoyable when all is good, but when the less than good examples are played back it really pisses me off that I can't control the signal or that it was made sloppy. Some one has to invent a signal monitor system that can filter and adjust the incoming signal to clean it up.I used to go crazy adjusting my turntable from one record label to the other to rid the distortion and the anti skating. Then linear tracking came out and that solved that problem. I spent a fortune on new electronics all fully balanced and low and behold the resolution I gained makes my favorite rock music sound horrible. So compressed and shrill. Really they sound better on the old inferior electronics. John tell me about SVS. I have read a lot about them and they seem like a really fine speaker company that doesn't scrimp on quality.

6. Message #526 of 818 Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Am working a temp job through but it is causing me to put off upgrading yet again!

Hey Bob you might also look into a speaker company called ELAC. I have heard good things about SVS as well. I also like Bowers & Wilkens. And depending on your taste I find there are a number of good companies out there. There are some bad speakers out there and there are companies out there cutting corners. If I had the space and money I want to get an old 1970's Marantz receiver or even a Pioneer or Sansui old school receiver with a pair of JBL L100 speakers with a Pioneer reel to reel tape deck and ether hook up my 1976 Dual turntable or another vintage turntable.

I have started to pack dvd's and cd's not for the reasons you did but because I am still trying to get back on my feet financially especially get a job that will allow me to have my own place. Currently at a family members house who decided to get involved with a homeless jerk. Am in a situation where he feels entitled to use my tv and the family member condones it because it is in the living room. So lately I find myself not wanting to listen to music so I recently packed up all my CD's. I do not want to be in the living room so I am watching less movies and tv shows and because of that I packed up almost all my regular dvd's except the Star Trek movies and Lethal Weapon movie series. My HD-DVD's, HD Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays are not yet packed but I keep all remotes except the dish network remote locked up.

Instead of stressing about everything at once I decided to deal with one thing at a time.

Goal 1: Replace temp job with full time direct hire job that pays enough to support myself! I have been struggling with this for a number of years but it is the key to everything!

Goal 2: Which maybe should be or could happen before goal 1, buy a cheap car from the police impound just to get me to and from work.

Goal 3: My own apartment! At some point I know I want to leave California!

When you have a disrespectful jerk living with you and who has no manners and doesn't respect your things and feel entitled to use them it doesn't make for a very happy life. None of my family or friends would dare come over and just help themselves to my belongings! I have never had that happen till this jerk showed up! It is sad how people change even when that person they get involved with is a looser! Anyway I have instituted a new plan to help change things because when something doesn't work one needs to try something new.

I am considering moving to Texas but no matter what as long as this forum is still here I will love coming here and interacting with the members here. I have found many people here that I love to chat with and interacting with others that have the same interest of home theater that I have.

I agree as I consider myself to be a techie as well. To many younger people will listen to earbuds or a wireless speaker playing music off there smart phone. Is it any wonder they can not be bothered with a high quality system at home? They feel entitled to the internet and even to content on a certain level and many will watch bootleged content and not even feel bad about it or care that the quality is bad. They want access to everything but don't care about collecting or owning anything. Another victim to this that effects us because of this is retailers end up bailing out on physical media because these same people don't care about ownership and don't purchase physical media. So they are helping to kill off the best thing about movies and music and lowering the quality for everyone else. I also worry about equipment manufactures going under in the future because of how the younger generation looks at collecting and buying a/v gear or the lack of buying quality components. This is not all younger people because we have some here that buy movies and a/v gear but they are far from the majority.

7. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Good news Dave. Any money is better than no money. I am struggling at my job. The other person that worked next to me and ran the same kind of machine as me quit. He took a few months off to go to his country, Thailand, but was chatting with a girl 20 yrs younger on his smart phone. He apparently hooked up with her over there and his wife found out about it. He came back to the states to find all his belongings on the front porch. Now I'm doing more than I can handle and carrying less skilled workers. I hope they hire someone. My daughter always abuses my equipment. I know what you mean on your end. I spent a lot of time and money putting together a decent system that is a one time thing and to see it treated less than carefully hurts. Try saving for a while and upgrade later. I am going to wait for the house to get done before upgrading my display. I too love coming here to talk ideas and chat with good people like you and John. Learn a lot and fun to hear different opinions. Take care and good luck on the employment.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Well Oppo calling it quits sure doesn't help my upgrade plan! My current job through the employment agency was supposed to be long term but didn't last a week and I have no idea why! So I was hoping to get a Oppo 203 4K player to upgrade my Samsung but I have time because it is more important to me to upgrade my Pioneer Elite SC-05 first! But even that is on hold till I get back to work!

Hey Bob I hope things get better at your job. And I agree it sucks when other people mistreat your belongings. It also sucks when you have someone that comes into where you live and doesn't think they should have to ask you to use your things. Anyway the upgrades are on hold till another job comes along. Worst case scenario for me is that I pack up the entire system till I am able to move. Currently I have all my music CD's and standard definition DVD's all packed and I took out my Denon CD and Denon DAT recorder out of my rack. I may be packing up the turntable next and packing up the albums. Another thing I am considering packing is the HD-DVD player and the HD-DVD movies.

After I can actually get a new receiver I will start looking into my next 4K blu-ray player. I also will need to look into getting new bookshelf speakers and speaker stands then the current rear speakers will be come height channel speakers. But I can more than live with what I have because I am lucky I have what I have!

9. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Good attitude Dave
    We all don't need half what we got. Most people are oblivious as to how lucky they are. I used to be one of those people that always saw the glass half empty rather than half full. I changed after about 30 years old. I kind of made a decision to be happy and focus on the positive side. And it helps. Starting to improve in work. I am working with a black man named Willie that is the nicest guy in the world. He came to our company with no skill from Haiti and now he can set up and run the machines I run. I have trained him and now it is just him and me and I can really share my 40 years experience of expertise with a fine gentleman that deserves training. He is about 2 years older than me but he can't retire he is not wealthy. I feel good mentally but I want him to get a raise. I am a trouble maker when it comes to justice. We just had a girl that quit after being a temp for 11 years and kept asking the boss to get hired. He always told her next year.yes she is an immigrant but she works hard. I was so proud of her to quit and walk away. They needed her to get a job done and she wouldn't run the machine. Kinda like norma ray remember that Movie. Things are starting to get a little better on my end. We hired new contractor and the first floor is on the way to being done. Windows are going in and i am getting the insulation done. Did 10 hours today. My new computer has a sound card that sucks the only audio I was able to access was I tunes on my computer and it sounds so muffled and dull now. I wish you could come and live in the first floor when it is complete and we could just totally get into gear and music and movies. I gotta get my old Yamaha XP3 linear tracking turntable into the shop. I had a guy from Florida that specializes in SLT turntables but the shipping is technical for fragility and pricey. Gonna ask my tech that reconditioned my old Nikkos and see if he can help. He collects turntables and like my speaker obsession he is into turntables. He had one in the shop for 48000$. He is a high end dealer but he is down to earth. Please hang in there and if there is anything I can do to help you please ask. I wish the best of luck and hang in. Now is not a good time to upgrade too many things up in chaos.

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Glad to hear things are improving and I just hope they just continue to improve for you.

Before

IMG_0845a.

After

IMG_0848a.

IMG_0849a.

Actually not only am I considering packing the HD-DVD player but the turntable as well. The only thing in the rack will be the receiver, 4k blu-ray player and the sat dish receiver.

This is what I want but waiting till it is feasible! Until then I will enjoy what I have!

Marantz SR7010.
    UDP-203-top-front-hr.

Four of these Bowers & Wilkens Bookshelf Speakers For The Rear Channels

20160624_110245a.

If I ever get rid of my Altec A-7's and do not have room for them then I will look for a used pair of B&W towers.

20160624_110238a.

This is just where I am looking to go and future possibilities. If I get there fine if not oh well.

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    IMG_0876a.

12. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    You'll get there slow and steady wins the race. Good things take time.
    Things are progressing rapidly on my end so I'm getting ready for something to go wrong. Always up then down then back up again. Very glad I grew up poor so I can recognize how lucky I am to be where I am at this point in my life. Keep fighting you will win in the end.

13. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Wow Dave right over my head on the Oppo thing. I have a BD93 and I could ship it to you no charge if it will make you happy. I am absolutely disgusted after hearing this. It tells me that all physical hard copy optical discs are doomed. I know you have a fantastic collection and I don't. I have a very small scattered collection of movies on VHS and Laser Disc and DVD and Bluray. You have much more of a library and deserve a fine player. I will suck it up and go to streaming. Pisses me off that the formats go away and we are left with media not backwards compatible. I have a large collection of CDs all different genres from Rock to Classical to New Age and Electronic. Ton of singer song writer of both genders. I love woman vocals on pretty stuff and kick ass rock. Been reading about a company called Ayre I hope I didn't misspell but they do ultra high def files and make DACS and streaming devices that are far superior to most. Big bucks as usual. But hi rez files are where I am headed. Also been reading about computer audio. I will post some links and suck it up. I am totally into vintage and have a lot of sentimental attachments to both the formats and the equipment. It is after all a large part of my life, and the most rewarding. The machine I have is not 4K but built like a tank. Maybe down the road I can help with your dream receiver as well. I hope you land on your feet and hang in there. I wanted to get my old PX3 Yamaha Linear tracking turntable up and running for the hell of it and the tech I had recondition 2 Nikko Alpha 440s and I bought an Anthem AVM60 new and an Anthem P5 Statement used 5 yrs old, he won't respond for the belt on the PX3 and I wonder no more thousand dollar purchases and he can't be bothered to help me now.

14. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I appreciate the offer but my Samsung 4K blu-ray player is not to bad actually. I am just looking at my ultimate goal down the road and that is why I want a better player. My ultimate goal is to have a 4K projector and a 120" screen. Not sure if I will ever obtain the 4K projector and such a large screen but that is my dream. I have other options like just going with a 85" 4K display and I know the prices will come down even more in the future. I have a secondary system that revolves around my pc. I have an older Yamaha RX-V995 that is a 5.1 Dolby Digital/DTS receiver that powers two Polk bookshelf speakers and I also have a 10" Polk sub with that in a 2.1 configuration. I have about 93 gigs of music on my pc and to be honest I really do not listen to much to any of it. I have a good sound card that is built on to my motherboard that is a Gigabyte motherboard. So I went from a set of Polk pc speakers that where not that great compared to what I am using now.

Sorry you can not get a response from that guy very unfortunate and I wish I knew why people get like that?

IMG_0194a.
    IMG_1535a.
    IMG_0826a.
    IMG_6916a.

Terminator Collection

IMG_0301a.

15. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Must have to do with money.

16. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Well Dave move over and make room for me. I will be in the same boat as you very soon. Just got the news my division of the company, edition binding is moving to a new location merging with a trade bindery. Another 15 or 20 miles away. They are just getting into hard bound books. I don't think I want to go. Run 2 shifts at 10 hours a day 4 days a week. My body can't handle it. Right now my right shoilder is partially blown out. Will tell wife Friday night. Gonna be a rough weekend. Might just halt house remodel doing first floor only. I could sell after 1 floor remodel and live very comfortably but 37 yr old daughter and new grandaughter would get hurt. Could've been cushy early retirement but gotta take care of the girls. What we do for love LOL.

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    My assignment with my employment agency ended last week as I was literally walking out the door to go to work. That was last week on Tuesday so yesterday I called my recruiter after she called me and I left a message and sent a text. Today I sent a text asking a question about my paycheck and asking again if they had an assignment for me. I got a text giving me a phone number and a name and to call that person instead of finding out and giving me the answer. I you would think my recruiter would occasionally call or text and say I am doing my best to find you something. Or I don't have anything right now but I hope to have something for you soon. So it is over a week and I have not been told anything and have no idea when my next paycheck will be. I signed up with another agency and have not hear anything from them ether. I is so sad how unprofessional and lazy these places are! Oh and the agency I am with has a tag line on there site, "Our people are everything"! I have been filling out online applications and have heard nothing! I am on Linked In, Monster, Indeed and others and I still can not land a direct hire full time job!

I understand Bob that you have to do what you have to do. I feel like I have to work two jobs just to afford my own apartment but I know at my age there is no way I can do it. Depending on how physical a job is even just working 2 hours of OT on a demanding job tears me up.

18. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I have never collected unemployment my entire life. Could've retired right at 62 but have to take care of the girls. I have been wanting this to happen but it still feels weird. I'll let you know how it goes. My wife got some good jobs in the past from using agencies .
    I wish you luck in your search. Make sure you keep us informed.

19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have yet to get a decent job from agencies here in California and it just seems the last two agencies I worked with don't care. I have checked with them for work and they have not called or texted me back. Hopefully I will get a direct hire job that is full time and be done with them.

Have you decided what your going to do with work? Are you going to go to the other location? How old are your kids? My son graduated in 2015 and may still live with his mother.

20. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Right now I am trying to get a workerscomp case to pay for my rehab on my right shoulder. I hurt my left forearm about 6 or 7 months ago and told the boss. It is all repetitive motion injuries. Once I set up the machine I just load paper and catch the processed signatures on the other end. My machine folds paper. I just calibrate it for thickness of the paper and the size. Then over and over all day sometimes weeks the same process. Lift the flat paper load to the machine then go catch off the stacker and place on a skid. Some jobs are heavier than others, and bigger. If I don't lift weights and stretch and take breaks and drink lots of fluids the muscles and ligaments get minor tears called sprains and if ignored get worse and worse. At my age 62 I don't feel much like lifting weights when I get home unless they are 12oz weights just to tired. We used to get helpers but with all the cutbacks these days we never get help anymore. My boss tried to tell me to have the bills sent directly to him and I said no. I paid for my left forearm myself co pays of 30$ twice and sometimes 3 times a week for almost 3 months. It was too expensive just to prevent his premiums from going up. This time I want to put in a claim and have the insurance pay for me. It is from work and that's what the insurance is for. He then told me to pay up front like last time and he would reimburse me and I know that would have never happened so I said no. He is dragging his feet on getting me a claim number. I called the department of industrial accidents in my state and they explained he only has 5 days to comply. This shoulder has been going on for 3 months now and it is close to being blown out, and that is what I am trying to prevent by going to therapy. I don't want to go to the new location but might just not have a choice. If I retire with social security right now I would only get 1700$ a month for benefits. At 67 would be 2300$. I have saved a modest amount for retirement in IRAs and that could carry me for about 6 years, and with a rental unit I could scrape by if I don't remodel the top floor. I am going to try to get another job closer to my house but at my age it will be tough. The industry I am in is not so robust as years ago now with the internet. I won't starve but won't be traveling around the world that's for sure. Daughter is 37 and single parent unemployed and getting very little assistance. Her baby my granddaughter is 20 months. We help with all kinds of bills for her. Diapers clothes her cell phone gave her a used car and it all adds up. My son is 40 and he got mentally ill at 17 yrs old. Been helping him since then.
    I love all but it is a lot to carry. I'll let you know what happens and keep you posted.
    And I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit for employment.
    The agencies that helped my wife find work specialized in accounting jobs only.
    Do you have a particular skill? Anyway sooner or later you will get lucky, just don't give up.