1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

My Home Theater Page

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dave Moritz, Aug 4, 2008.

1. xx Brian xx

xx Brian xx Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    If you really want the Marantz SR8012 but would take the Yamaha for $1500, why not go for the Marantz SR6012 for the same money?

I have the Yamaha RX-A1030 and the Marantz SR-7010 and can tell you that my next receiver will be another Marantz. The Yamaha was one of my favorites but the Marantz is at the top. I've had the honor to install Yamaha Aventage 2000 and 3000 series receivers and the Marantz 6000 series and again , I would pick the Marantz every time for the amazing sound.

BTW Your center channel is a work of art, that speaker is gorgeous! I may have to add those to my list for the next speakers to get.

Brian

Dave Moritz likes this.
  2. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thanks for the input Brian. I will be auditioning a number of brands when the time comes but I am leaning towards the Marantz. And your right if I stick with a Marantz and can not afford to get the flagship model then the SR6012 is a good alternative money wise and will still give me four channels over head. And maybe that is the one I should actually be shooting for since my income sucks! The 6012 is alot more feasible than the 8012 due to cost. I may end up with the 8012 if I end up being stubborn and take a couple of years to save up but I need other things to so I have some serious thinking to do.

3. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Was exspecting to work a temp position until April and the assignment ended today, not very happy. Hopefully something good comes of this and I can get a good paying job finally!

4. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Fuck them Dave. I have been working for ever and it sucks. I want to retire this year but the wife is not onboard. I have skills that are not easy to come by except aftet years of practice. So I depart my employer with a Fuck you good by no notice. And glad I'm still alive at this age.. Just bought 2 tickets for 2 diffierent lotteries for 400 milllion each. If I win I promise to give you a chunk but feel it will only be a bandaid for what is missing.
    If I get lucky we can both go shopping. I hope you can read between the lines.

SAhmed likes this.
  5. xx Brian xx

xx Brian xx Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    Dave, Hope thing turn around for you soon. Since you enjoy electronics so much, have you considered applying at an electronics store or a Best Buy? Best Buy offers a decent wage with potential to move up and they have fantastic benefits. You can also get an employee discount to save money on your new Marantz receiver. If you have a Magnolia BB around you, apply there.

Wish you luck for 2018!

SAhmed likes this.
  6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Hey Bob I know it must suck wanting to retire and not being able to do so. And it is sad that so many employers do not seem to respect the skills and what someone brings to there organization. They have no problem paying you as little as possible and or letting you stagnate and not advancing you, instead they try and claim your the one that is not promoting yourself. I am going to buy a lottery ticket here in the next hour or two and would love to hit that as it would help me enjoy life instead of working my life away for someone else. And back at ya if I win maybe I can help you get some stuff as well.

Anyway I have been doing some deep thought on my upgrade plans and why I might be focusing on having a certain level of gear lately. I have always worked hard all my life and that is something growing up we where told if you work hard and are a good employee you will benefit and be promoted and slowly make good money. Well this doesn't happen for everyone and to many of today's companies do not want to pay much and they just want you to get comfortable with the small amount of pay and almost no job security. I still have not been able to recover from my divorce that happened back in 2000 so I have had to live with family. Couple that with being stuck in dead end jobs and not getting interviews it has not been easy. I may not be crazy about starting at the bottom but if that what it takes then so be it but I would at least like a fair chance to advance and not hear excuses when I try. But at my age (currently 53) I know my age is going to start working against me if it is not doing so already. I know I do not have a ton of years ahead of me, just being honest and realistic. We have finally hit the spot in technology where I know I do not need anything beyond that and I know I can not spend my entire life doing nothing more than sinking myself into my hobby as much as I love it. I know I do not need anything beyond 4K video or lossless surround sound and formats like Atmos & DTS-X. So building my 4K library I do not plan on buying a movie again on another format moving forward, this is my master library reference level format. Before I got married I had an awesome piece of equipment and after I got married I did not have the money to upgrade it. I had a McIntosh MX-130 pre/pro tuner that I got because a friend let me use his credit card and I paid he for it every month. So I realize focusing on that Marantz SR-8012 and anything in that price range and with that level of features was me realizing that I did not have long to be able to keep buying gear and that I wanted to get the best level of gear I could get and that it would have to last me a long time. So unless something good happens and I get a good job offer here in the near future I am for sure going to have to be more realistic and look at something that is still good but something I can live with and something that will last me for a long time as well. Push comes to shove my current system will work and I am not going to keep beating myself up and stressing about not being able to achieve the goals I had set for myself. So even if I downgrade myself from the SR-8012 to a SR-6012 or end up with something else because I decided I liked the features and performance more I am sure I will be happy with it and that it will fit my needs.

My former McIntosh MX-130
    Daves MX130 1995.

My previous Yamaha RX-V995 that was my first Dolby Digital/DTS receiver and one I still use for my PC
    IMG_0032.

Current Pioneer Elite SC-05
    IMG_5550.JPG

Since this receiver I have purchased a Samsung 4K UHD TV and upgraded the evolution kit on it, upgraded my polk center to a Bowers & Wilkens center, purchased a Samsung 4K blu-ray player and built up to 73 4K titles and added a LG 4K UHD TV to my PC as a PC monitor. It takes alot of dedication and sacrifice to do all this on a budget while making low wages so this has been my life, work and my hobby which I love don't get me wrong. And I know I will have to be ready to be out on my own so that introduces the stress of being self supporting and I can not waste time with an employer that is going to not pay me enough to live and be self sufficient. One thing is for certain is change is coming and that it will introduce changes in my life and all we can do is roll with it and do what we can! It is also funny looking back at people telling me my upgrade planes are not possible that I do not make enough and I still made it happen with patients and alot of being suborn I made it happen!

I interviewed with two different managers at a Best Buy here in So Cal and the second interview was on the sales floor with the sales manager. I answered all his questions and he told me he was very impressed and as far as he was concerned I had the job. The 1st manager was interested in me as well, or at least that is what he told me to my face. So it all came back to 8-11 questions I had to answer online which I ended up having to take a few times under different email addresses. I rushed through the first time and each time I took the so called test looking at the answers I had to choose from and I still do not see how I failed. But after not getting a call back and going in and no one being there I was told they wanted to hire me but I did not pass the online test. I made it very clear that home theater is something I love and that I was very interested in moving up into management. So I made it clear it was not going to be there just for a paycheck but wanted to contribute to the company and move up! I do have a Magnolia Best Buy and am waiting for that test to time out so I can reapply for a sales position only by coming in at the beginning of the year I would have time to learn there systems and learn the things about different product specs that I do not know now.

SAhmed likes this.
  7. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    You have a lot on your plate. I always wanted to work in a store full of electronics. I couldn't wrap my head around selling a consumer less than the best. I mean if someone came in and wanted a particular piece of gear and I knew a different one was better for a similar price I probably would make them feel ticked off and steer them to the better machine. I imagine listening to the customer and not being a know it all is the better way to treat a less informed consumer. The old saying customer is always right. I would get fired in one week.
    I did apply to the Geek Squad. I remember an aplication online. Never go back to me either. Asked if I went to any electronics training schools. My job is dying now. I am in bookbinding, the internet and tablets has really killed books. I used to be into comercial printing companies but found the company I at now about 4 miles from my house. I used to get a raise every year but after 2008 when the US got bush wacked for 8 years the economy combined with tablets and kindles has killed me. I also feel as I have aged they don't treat the older employees very well. Truth is I kind of like it being slow and being sent home early with no work, especially in the summer. I have a Marantz reciever being shipped to me as I type from Ebay. It is the same one I had in my first decent system when I first got married. Used to have the receiver, equalizer, Thorens TD150 belt drive turntable, and a pair of Large Advents. If it wasn't for this hobby I would crack up. My wife has a good job and now she is carrying us financially. We are slowly but shurly racking up the debt. We started remodeling a home we inherited and so far got ripped for 16000$ from our contractor who we found out has no license to do contracting, and the first floor has been under construction for over 15 months. Daughter moved back home with a new baby girl our first grand child. House is a giant play pen. LOL. Some times after I get out of work I feel like getting in the car and just heading for Mexico. I know one thing I have figured out from being old is everything does change. When things suck just wait and hang in there THEY will get better. And when everything is so good you think you are in a dream just wait, it won't last. Life goes in waves up and down like alternating current.

8. Message #508 of 898 Jan 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have worked retail before and it is all about delivery! And sometimes a person will change there mind and buy what you suggested and sometimes they do not and you just have to leave it at that. I had a pepboys recruiter call me yesterday wanting to know if I was still interested in there job opening. They where supposed to call and give me a phone interview today at 2pm but no one ever called! So tomorrow I am going to make some phone calls and do some job hunting on the internet. I would rather find a company who will hire me directly so I am not bouncing from assignment to assignment and being paid close to minimum wage. I have had a few jobs where I worked minimum wage to close to it and I never thought I would be working for such horrible pay especially at my age now. One thing is for certain if I come into a boat load of money I am moving out of California for good! I need to get my own place eventually and it is to bad I couldn't do so over 7 years ago. I have gone on apartments.com but looking at apartments and seeing the rent is very depressing.

When I was married I had this:

Daves McIntosh 1995.

I found out after we got married she was complaining about me having my home theater gear. She even went as far to tell them she would make me get ride of my gear. Another thing she said to a family member was she actually thought when we got together that I had close to nothing. Well it turns out after we got divorced I am better off without her! Even if you factor in the financial problems at least I am not stuck with her anymore. I remember at the time a good friend worked for circuit city so I got his cost on the Harmon Kardon CD Player and the Onkyo Integra Cassette Deck. I really need 2018 to be that year everything changes for the better!

Sounds like you are having some serious issues with getting that work done. I hope things get better for you and that you do not have to take that joker to court to get things taken care of. Hope things get better for you and that you both have a better 2018. Right now I am trying not to think about that new receiver until I am working again hopefully not working a temp job through a temp agency!

9. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Just spent 4 hours shoveling. We got wacked in MA. I goofed again and didn't get the snowblower ready in October and when I went to use it it won't go into gear. Looked it up on youtube and it is an easy fix. I love youtube. So many videos show you things. I love your old gear. Is that a soundcraftsmen equalizer? We had the same 3 head onkyo cassette deck. Now I just need a warm day to work on it. I have no garage so have to do it outside. Fn back is killing me. I have met so many great people on several audio blogs and you are one of them. Glad to have found your thread. Talk to you tomorrow and hang in there things will get better for you. Then worse then better then worse then better. That's what i have observed in my life. Just hang on and ride the tide. Just can't last Natalie Merchant good song.

10. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    You are correct that is a soundcraftsman eq! I still have the eq and it needs to be worked on so it is sitting in the closet but the Onkyo Integra cassette deck I got rid of it because it also needed work and I did not have many cassettes left and couldn't justify spending money to fix it so out it went. Another thing I would love to do is get back into vinyl records and rebuild my collection. I do have around 320 cd's, around 13 DVD-A's and around 8 or 9 SACD's.

I came across this album at the CES show and had to purchase it after I got back to the LA area. This album ended up selling like crazy although I do not think she has enjoyed the same success since. Mostly I enjoy Rock so this is not one of my typical albums in my collection.

20180105_114934a.

IMG_0277a.

IMG_0486 (2)aa.

IMG_8666a.
    IMG_8625a.
    IMG_8544.JPG

11. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    I used to drool over soundcraftsmen. I started reading Stereo Review and the finest equalizers were soundcraftsmen.I am also trying to get into vinyl again. I am going to send a Yamaha PX3 that has been in my closet for about 20 yrs. I used to use the onkyo 3 head deck to copy alot of vinyl to play in the car. Used eq to get the sound the way I liked. CDs were so superior I moth balled the records. I started to get into classical after hearing Wendy Carlos, Walter Carlos at the time. I am a big Synthesizer fan. Started with ELP then Wakeman with Yes. Then Carlos and Tomita Don Dorsey. Carlos got me into Bach, and Scarlatti. Have a ton of female singer songwriter music. Got into Academy of Ancient Music Christopher Hogwood. I love putting on some beautiful classical like a nice concerto or symphony and cooking a large meal, and of course some wine.
    I want to find some multi layered sequential music. Been exploring a lot on You tube. I love acoustic instruments but electronic computerized music can be manipulated to have sounds that can't be created with fingers. Much faster .I guess depends on the mood. I can go from the mighty Zep to Cat Stevens in a heart beat. Still a metal head at heart. The turntable is going to a guy in Florida specializes in Linear tracking.
    https://www.webstore.com/store,pgr,225332,user_id,shophttps://www.webstore.com/store,pgr,225332,user_id,shop. Packing a turtable that is fragile to go to Florida is a pain in the ass. I worked with a guy once who gave me a giant collection of classical records. He said he put them all on reel to reel. Didn't like getting up to flip the record so often. Gave me aroun 85 albums all in very good shape. Almost bought a Nakamichi a month ago for 100$ the kid came clean at the last minute and told me something was wrong with it. Cosmetically it looked brand new. I am addicted to the hobby. Both music and movies 2 channel and multi channel.

12. Message #512 of 898 Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I know the picture doesn't hold up to HD or especially 4K but I have a number of movies I have on laserdisc that I never got around to getting on dvd or blu-ray. And seriously thinking about getting another used laserdisc player so I can play my laserdisc movies especially my theatrical versions of Star Wars IV -VI. And I need to replace the rca cables on my Dual 1241 turntable. Another thing I want to accomplish this year is framing my original cinema DTS poster and a very limited edition Star Trek poster.

IMG_0022b.
    poster_zpsfhlhag3v.

IMG_7810.JPG

And another thing I want to do is purchase a reissue poster of the original Star Wars that I will most likely have to wait to frame in 2019 or 2020.

Need to decide if I am going to invest in getting my Sony ES DVP-S9000 dvd/sacd/cd player fixed and put back into my system. I also have a DAT deck from Denon that I have to decide if I am going to try and have it repaired or not, if not out it goes! I do have a Marantz laserdisc player that I can have evaluated for repair instead of buying another player but right now my focus is on getting another job and get working again.
    IMG_0621s.

13. Message #513 of 898 Jan 13, 2018
    Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Yeah, Laserdisc was killer compared to VHS. My first test disc for video was A Video Standard on laser. It was produced by Reference Recordings and Joe Kane. I went crazy and pulled the back off of a Proton 625 25 inch monitor receiver and started playing with the gains and cuts. RGB. I am lucky I didn't get electrocuted. My flyback transformer went out and I had to bring it in for service at a brand new tech facility run by Tweeter Etc. The building was 3 months old. I bought it in and told the tech after he fixed it to please do a grey scale calibration for me and he agreed. I also asked to get the bad part he exchanged. When I got the set home after the repair, the set was purple and had retrace lines because the screen voltage was set to high. I bought the set back and talked to the manager and the tech. I wanted to show them the retrace lines but needed a totally dark room like a bathroom or somewhere totally dark. The tech said he was doing sets for over 10 yrs. and who the hell do I think I am questioning his service. The manager ended up refunding me the labor and just charged me for the part. I made the greyscale better with the disc but never got it D6500 by eye. This was before ISF existed. Now I just call Jim Dolittle to calibrate with an expensive meter. I still want to get all my old stuff working, just for retro reasons. Turntable, cassette deck but not 8 track. Just fun to relive the old media.

14. Message #514 of 898 Jan 13, 2018
    Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    This was my set up in the 1990's and there are a number of pieces I still have.

Daves McIntosh 1995.

Before that

Denon repl95 sm.

I want to upgrade my Advent Marbles to Bowers & Wilkens that will match my center channel!

My current surround speakers that will end up being my Atmos speakers till upgraded.
    IMG_5590a.

My former center channel, this Polk CS100 started off with Dolby Prologic and was on duty through Dolby True HD & DTS-HD Master Audio!

IMG_2192a.

Current center channel, Bowers & Wilkens HTM61 S2 center channel this is a big step up IMHO from that old Polk center and your not seeing things that is the same tv stand but was modified to allow me to place the larger center channel.
    IMG_5539a.

20121102_130131.

These are the bookself speakers from Bowers & Wilken I want to get

20160624_110245a.

15. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Beautiful looking speaker. That 90s rack of gear is sweet too. I just bumped into this site on another forum and it has a boatload of info. Reviews, measurements. Check it out.
    http://www.soundstage.com/

16. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Thank you and I will check the site out

My Sony ES DVP-S9000 that is currently sitting in a closet because it has some sort of malfuntion and doesn't work was the best CD/SACD player I have ever owned. So especially if I get a nice Marantz receiver I might want to get that Sony ES into the shop and back into the system. This player is built like a tank and sounds great! This player weighs around 27lbs!

Sony Players 4_20_12.

I think right now my ultimate system would be something like this:
    Marantz AV-8805 13.2 Channel Full 4K Ultra HD Network AV Surround Pre-Amplifier
    Oppo UPD-205 4K UHD Blu-ray Player
    1 McIntosh MC 303 - 300 Watt X 3 Channel Power Amp
    6 McIntosh MC 152 - 150 Watts X 2 Stereo Power Amp
    1 McIntosh MC 1.2Kw - Mono Block 1200 Watt Power Amp (For 18" JBL Pro Subs)
    Sony or Christie 4K Projector
    210" Stewart Film Screen Microperferated Projection Screen (123" H X 164" W) or (10' 1/4" H X 13' + W)

Yes this is beyond dreaming, LOL

17. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Back to looking for another job and also waiting for my employment agency to get off there rear end and call me with a job! I should not have to call them 6 times a day begging them for work!

So till I get a reliable income again my home theater upgrade project is back on hold! Am still looking to replace my Pioneer Elite SC-05 next as soon as the finances are there!

18. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Good luck with the search. My fn computer has burnt out so now looking for a replacement. Scored a pair of speakers this weekend same as my 5 mains. Best pair I found yet.
    Saw an ad in Craigslist selling entire older home theater for 1100$. Pair of L1290/2s L300s giant rear projection display, 100 watt Adcom stereo amp Yamaha processor, DVD player. All original boxes as well. I asked if they would sell separately and they said yes. Absolutely perfect condition. Now I am going to use these speakers for my mains and my L1230s for rears and put existing L1290/2s on the ceiling. Wife is not so happy. LOL. I'll post some pics when computer is replaced.

Dave Moritz likes this.
  19. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    IMG_0511a.
    IMG_0508a.

20. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Used to have Direct TV. At the time Dish was always less expensive. I had problems in bad weather, the sgnal would cut out. Picture from satellite was crisp and clear, better than cable. Channel selection was great too. I remember Dish buying Blockbuster and shortly after Blockbuster shutdown. I miss renting discs. Used to be a happy place full of movie lovers and kids laughing and candy and popcorn. Best buy is dropping CD sales. Seams like nothing but streaming service for future. Tried Cmos battery on old computer then power supply after testing with 15$ tester only one pin giving low voltage output. New power supply didn't work so bought new computer last night. New monitor and lit up keyboard and new wireless mouse. Been lost last few weeks without a computer. Enjoy the new dish..