What's new

My home theater meltdown (1 Viewer)

Paul W

Second Unit
I'm serious!
I left my Sony DA333ES receiver on while I went out to lunch. I came home to the sounds of Niagra Falls (very loud white noise) and a smell of burning rubber. :eek: :eek: :eek:
The tweeters on all of my Infinity speakers were melted.
This sucks! Why does the DA333ES spontaneously start producing very loud white noise when there is no source (FYI, I use the coax ditigal input).
Can anybody recommend a receiver that isn't going to melt down my speakers if I should walk away from it?
Thanks.

Dan_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Ouch...maybe you should give Sony a call...see if they can reimburse anything...or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

That sucks man...maybe go with Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, or Outlaw next...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A similar thing happened to my friend with an older ES unit, except it fried his sub. He came home to the sound of a very loud, deep, fast vibrating sound just in time to see his sub fizzle and smoke.

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
I had an old sony stereo reciever.They made a pair of pioneer speakers smoke...yes really.THey started making no sound and I took the woofer out and smoke poured out of the enclosure.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Whoa! You guys are freaking me out! After all the talk about the DB/ES models being the best of the sony line, my DE receiver is starting to scare me. I guess I won't be leaving it on if I'm not around. Thanks for the info so that I might be more cautious.

Dan Hine

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Yikes Paul!

That sucks man. I'd try what Dan Jones said if it's still under warranty. Be a bastard is you're forced to.

Well, if it helps, I know my denon has never done the spontaneous white noise thing.

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Be a bastard [if] you're forced to.
geez i'd be role playing the pissed off customer if i were you. call up sony and start bit**ing to them about how you'll never buy from them again unless they remedy your situation. this is really surprising to hear, especially from the ES line!

good luck man!!

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Holy Jeez!
My old Sony STR-D2020 has never done that... and I have left it on unattended a ton.
I'm gonna speed up the upgrade program for sure now.:D
Do you guys have any thoughts as to WHY this happened?
I was kind of thinking about the new Sony gear too...
Roy

Jeffrey_Jones

Second Unit
What were you using as your source when this happened? Was it your DVD player or CD player? I have heard people having white noise produced when a DTS encoded DVD/CD is played with the wrong output format selected.
I've never heard of white noise melting a tweeter. You might be able to get Infinity to cover this under warrenty. It would sure be easier then trying to get Sony to :)
- Jeff

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
:angry: :angry: that is absolutely terrible. First, :frowning: I'm sorry about what happened but it burns me that Sony may give you a hard way to go because it's not just the receiver you need to get rid of, but you need to replace your speakers as well, my best to you.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Had the same experience with a regular-line Sony several years ago, and that's why I won't own anything Sony makes that has an amp. Killed my tweeters too.

No Sony...I leave them to MD and sources now instead of amps and receivers.

Sam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks