What's new

My Home Theater In The Works (1 Viewer)

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
It has been an ongoing retirement project for the past 4 winters. Great fun.

ht 1.jpg
ht 2.jpg

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
gear.jpg

Here is my equipment list;

Epson Home Cinema 2030
110" DIY Screen using Behr Silver Screen paint
Onkyo TX-NR414
Sony UBP-X800
Oppo BDP-80
Sony PS3
Originally 5 Totem Mite speakers (now substituting 2 KEF Q150 for mains)
Polk PSW10 sub
19" RCA LCD for display monitor

Last edited:

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
View attachment 54965

Here is my equipment list;

Epson Home Cinema 2030
110" DIY Screen using Behr Silver Screen paint
Onkyo TX-NR414
Sony UBP-X800
Oppo BDP-80
Sony PS3
Originally 5 Totem Mite speakers (now substituting 2 KEF Q150 for mains)
Polk PSW10 sub
19" RCA LCD for display monitor

Very cool. Keep it up. And show us more as you go along.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That's a fun, modern aesthetic. Are the stools fixed so they can't drift and rotate from speaker vibrations?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My congratulations, especially on the screen. I made a DIY screen years ago [several actually] and i know it's a lot of work.

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
That's a fun, modern aesthetic. Are the stools fixed so they can't drift and rotate from speaker vibrations?

The crossover for the Mites and the KEF's is 50HZ so they don't move. The room was initially designed for multichannel SA-CD and DVD-A playback so the audio portion came first.

Last edited:

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
My congratulations, especially on the screen. I made a DIY screen years ago [several actually] and i know it's a lot of work.

I built a false wall for the screen. It was a challenge getting the drywall seams perfect. I had to overprime the joints to make the end result perfectly matte.Framing the screen with felt covered 1X2's made the image dead square. The 2030 generates very little keystone so that helped.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just wondering on the reasoning of placing the speakers so far in front of the screen? It seems to me that placing them against the wall would put the sound plane even with the picture. My own personal preference would be to widen the sound field as well by placing the left and right to the outside edges of the screen.

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
Just wondering on the reasoning of placing the speakers so far in front of the screen? It seems to me that placing them against the wall would put the sound plane even with the picture. My own personal preference would be to widen the sound field as well by placing the left and right to the outside edges of the screen.

I have always found that the more unobstructed space you give speakers the better they sound. When I began planning this project many years ago space was the key factor for audio playback. In fact it was one of the determining factors for the home I was considering for retirement. I had carte blanche for the basement so I designed the room around the speaker placement. As I mentioned above the original intent for the space was for multichannel listening, Acoustically (to me) the room is ideal. I have no problem with the current set up to fill the space with (again to me) a realistic seamless soundfield. Increasing the distance between the mains would affect stereo imaging and moving the front speakers closer to the wall would negate the benefits of the space they now enjoy. Since light travels faster than sound having the fronts 3.5 feet closer to me is not an issue.

Last edited:

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
start.jpg

At the start the screen was a bit smaller.

before.jpg

Just a sheet of drywall to try out the Epson 2030 (on the step ladder).

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
wall frame.jpg

I ran a dedicated 15amp circuit for the electronics. Enough room behind the false wall for built in speakers.

wall paint.jpg

Before the black felt frame and grey surround.

English Invader

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Simon
Most of the technical stuff is over my head but it's a fantastic project with some lovely photos. Is the black and white a deliberate artistic choice?

Angal Faria

Agent
Real Name
Angal Faria
Very very nice and cool collection and as I see there was a lot of technical systems run along.
Thanks, it is really a great job.

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
Most of the technical stuff is over my head but it's a fantastic project with some lovely photos. Is the black and white a deliberate artistic choice?

Thank you for the compliment. I have always had a fondness for black and white photographs. Thank you as well Angal.

I just upgraded to an Onkyo TX-NR585 and since the ceiling is conveniently unfinished I am considering adding two speakers for Dolby Atmos.

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
The cave is now Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 equipped. I made use of a pair of old speakers I had kept.

dolb 1 bw.jpg

dolb 2 bw.jpg

Last edited:

XVRhodesian

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Tremendous photos and great space! I stumbled upon your post when researching bar stool speaker stands for my basement bar / home theater shared space. Would you mind sharing the details of your stools?

Thank you,
-John

filper

Agent
Real Name
Phil
They are Dalfred bar stools from Ikea. They are uncomfortable as hell to sit on, but they are very stable.

The adjustable seat feature make fine tuning the speaker height and toe in very easy if necessary.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks