My Hitachi 60SDX88b says its Prog. Scan. Does this mean I dont need a prog scan DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ken thompson, Sep 4, 2001.

1. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

What is this progressive scan Hitachi is claiming?

2. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

Most HDTV monitors incorporate internal line doublers that turn the 480i("i" is for interlaced) signal from a standard DVD player to either 480p("p" is for progressive) or 960i. Some of these TV's also incorporate 3:2 pulldown correction which greatly reduces jagged edges. A HDTV monitor with a "good" line doubler that incorporates 3:2 pulldown correction can look as good as direct feed from a progressive scan DVD player (which is already 480p). In fact, I tried several different 480p players with my Sony HDTV monitor and found the improvment over the TV's internal line doubler to be very subtle, and my TV doesn't do 3:2 pulldown correction (3:2 pulldown correction adjusts the frame rate of film on video). Progressive scan DVD players are not magic bullets and the only way to know whether you prefer a standard vs. progressive player on your particular TV is to try one.
    [Edited last by Jim A. Banville on September 04, 2001 at 11:44 AM]

3. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

DVD: Panasonic RP91
    TV: Toshiba CW34XC2 (HDTV ready)
    The difference between progressive scan vs. linedoubled interlaced using this combo is definitely noticeable, but it's not a humungous difference. I'd be happy with a good interlaced source on this 34" widescreen TV, but I do prefer having the progressive source. However, things may get more noticeable on a 60" screen, depending on the abilities of the TV. YMMV.
    ------------------
    Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
    1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!
    Check out my switched Dual Boot DVD Player Hack.