What's new

My HDTV shouldn't look this bad! Help! (1 Viewer)

runnersdialzero

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Saxon
I have a 42" Toshiba Widescreen HDTV. Bought it at Best Buy as a Open Box item. I pretty much bought this TV for DVD viewing only. I bought a Progressive Scan DVD player with 3:2 pulldown. The TV has 3:2 Pulldown as well. I bought Component Cables as well. The picture looks alright but it's very grainy. Not like the Zapruder film but I can tell there's something there. My girlfriend can't see it, but I can see it clear as day that something is wrong. It just doesn't look crisp to me. Not as crisp as it should. Any suggestions on what I can do? Any help would be awesome. Thanks.

Saxon
[email protected]

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Have you tried using a calibration disk such as AVIA? If not you might give this a try. Or get the set calibrated by an ISF guy. You might be surprised at how big a difference you will see. Still this might not fix the problem, as grain ought not to be a result of a non-calibrated display.

There is a possibility that you are seeing the amount of grain that you should see in your DVDs. If you think that this is a possibility, Put in some Pixar DVD and see if you are still getting the ‘grain’ effect. If you are, then the problem is probably not really grain, as these movies should have very little (no) grain.

But if you are not getting this effect on one of these DVDs, then what you are seeing is the film reproduced the way it was meant to be seen—with some grain. It may be that you now have a display good enough to reproduce the grain.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
What DVD(s) are you watching?

Do you have the DVD player set to "16:9" and the Toshiba set to "Full" for anamorphic DVD's. If not, what mode are you in (Theater wide modes will show scanlines and distort the picture).

What DVD player are you using?

Is the DVD player set for "movie" mode (3:2 pulldown)?

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
One other thing, when you do your calibrations, set the TV to movie mode first. This will disable the Scan Velocity Modulation (a pseudo sharpening effect). Then adjust your contrast, brightness, etc... from there.
Actually, don't wait, do this right now. Also bring down the contrast and brightness to %50 or lower and change the temp to Warm. You will see a marked improvement in the picture by doing just these things.
Go out tomorrow and buy a calibration disc (Avia, Video Essentials or S&V Home Theater Tune-Up) and fine tune everything.

JohnnyCorona

Agent
I have the same TV and mine has a great picture!

You may want to take it back to best buy and replace it.

Johnny

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
As previously stated, turn down the sharpness. In fact, DVDs tend to show too much detail, which includes grain. Turning down the sharpness will smooth out the grain.

Agustin

Agent
or maybe you can compare in retail stores with other from the same model to see if this can be a bad tv and returning

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks