What's new

My Haunting DTS is not discrete! (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I don't know why this would trigger Discrete displays on some receivers and not others.

On my receiver, I can force ES or EX by manually turning back surrounds on with the remote. This is what I must do on all the improperly flagged dd ex discs.

When I do this with Haunting it sure sounds like the rear center is discrete vs matrixed, judging by my experience with other DTS-ES matrix vs discrete discs. Try chapter 10 "creaking pipes" for an example.

As I said before, this is the only ES discrete disc I own that doesn't make the "discrete" light come up on my reciever, and it's also the first DTS ES discrete disc there was, so my opinion is that the problem (if there is a problem, sounds discrete to me) is on the disc.

Could someone with a copy of this that does make the discrete display come up on their receiver post the ISBN number on the barcode or the stock number on the disc label?

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
tested FOTRing last night, and I could hear the diff.

not astounding, but discernable...better envelopment - CLEAN.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
So should I buy another copy of the movie? Or is it my receiver?
Well I can almost guarantee 100% that a new copy of the film would not solve the problems you are having. The DTS ES version of the Haunting you own is the only DTS version on the market. It sounds like your receiver is having trouble with the DTS track from the DVD. Your only solution would be to buy a new receiver I suppose, but I would go through the trouble if it works fine on every other DTS-ES film you throw at it, just for the sake of hearing the Haunting in ES discrete instead of matrix.

J

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
It does sound like your receiver is not compatible. For any receiver or processor purchase I'd make, I would only accept a product that worked as promised and would demand nothing less.

Dan

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
LOTR FOTR compared to Haunting is not really going to reveal whether Haunting is being reproduced in matrix or discrete. I have Atlantis SE which does make the ES-disc. indicator light up while Haunting doesn't. The back surrounds sound more defined and cleaner on Haunting than on Atlantis.

Since I can get true DDex with no auto detection I can't conclude that Haunting isn't true discrete just because it won't auto detect.

I am certainly not going to demand Pioneer jump through hoops because of an incorrect display on one disc, which could just as easily be a disc problem as a receiver problem, nor am I going to give up the excellent performance and features of my receiver for this reason.

The HK 525 is another excellent unit I would not return for this reason.

If every other dts discrete disc makes the "discrete" indicator light, and Haunting doesn't, I'm gonna blame the disc and not the receiver.

It's a well known fact that all but a couple or three DDEX discs won't auto detect due to flagging deliberately not used because it caused problems with some Denon receivers, and that EX must be turned on manually.

I am not convinced that Haunting is not playing back discrete on my system, in spite of what the display says. It sounds discrete to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks