What's new

My Haunting DTS is not discrete! (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I just got a new receiver yesterday (HK AVR525, and I love it!) and just started testing it out last night. Actually I just set it up, didnt really get a chance to listen to it.

Well, this morning I watched the pod race from Episode 1. Wow! I love the sound. Even with my surround setup the center rear helps a great deal.

Okay, so I wanted to pop in a DTS 6.1 Discrete soundtrack so I can finally hear it in its full 6.1 glory. I pop in the DTS version of the Haunting and start the movie. Right away I see the the surround back lights arent lit up on the receiver and it says, " DTS+NEO:6". I knew what this was telling me. It meant that it was applying a matrixed rear center with the 5.1 soundtrack.

But what the hell!?! Isnt this supposed to be the first DTS 6.1 Discrete soundtrack. It even says it on the case and disc. I dont think it is some bootleg or other version. I bought it at Best Buy, maybe that has something to do with it.

To make sure it was just this disc I popped in Blade2. Went to the menu, selected DTS 6.1 and started the movie. When it started, it clicked from Dolby Digital EX (from the menu) to DTS 6.1 Discrete! I was really happy to find out that the receiver wasnt just fucking with me. Good.

Now I dont know what to do with my DTS copy of the Haunting. I bought probably almost a full year ago, maybe longer, I dont remember. I dont still have the receipt.

This sucks. Is everyone else listening to the Haunting in 6.1? Anyone have the movie with a HK AVR525?

EDIT: Im looking at the back and hears what it says; "Plays in discrete 6.1 channels on DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 decoders. Fully compatible with DTS-ES Matrix 6.1, DTS-ES compatible, and DTS 5.1 decoders."

Im pretty sure it says this on all DTSES 6.1 movies. Whats the deal?

Tom Blizzard

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom Blizzard
Scott,
I guarantee you, for sure, that The Haunting is 6.1 discrete. Go back and check all your settings.

This same question has been brought up many,many times in the past. Please let us know when you get it working.
:)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I seem to recall from previous discussions that it must be an equipment nad/or setup problem. It decodes as discrete in my setup (Panny 91 and Denon 5803).

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Well, I just tried Gladiator and Blade2, again. These automatically clicked into DTS Discrete. When I put the Haunting in the dvd player it first comes to a audio menu. DTS-ES and Dolby Digital (2.0) are the options. I select DTS-ES. A Dreamworks logo comes up, this was in DTS 5.1 on my disc. The receiver said "DTS+NEO:6". Then the DTS digital eperience logo plays, this one is the same as the Dreamworks logo.

Then the main menu rolls and I click Play movie. The movie plays and switches to "DTS+NEO:6". I try pressing the DTS surround button on the 525 but nothing happens. I also pressed the DTS:NEO6 button. Nothing.

I went back to the main menu and switched to the Dolby Surround track. I was able to use PL2c,PL2m,PL2emulation. Then i went back to the main menu and put the DTS-ES track. Same thing. The speaker input indicator on the 525 showed all but the center surrounds. When playing Blade2 or Gladiator, the center surrounds would light up.

Whats the deal? Was there a batch of non discrete disc circulating or something? This bites. :angry:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I have a Pioneer VSX45TX. The display will show when a DTS-ES Discrete soundtrack is playing (i.e. Gladiator). It shows "DTS ES DISC".

When I play The Haunting with the receiver in auto detect mode, it only says DTS. If I manually switch it to DTS-ES it displays DTS-ES but not DTS ES DISC. I don't know if this is a problem with the flagging on the disc or not. I know that most DDEX discs are not flagged as such and thus won't trigger EX in auto detect mode.

Since other DTS-ES discrete discs like Gladiator and Atlantis SE give me the proper display on my receiver I can only conclude that this is a problem with the flagging on The Haunting.

I do know that if I force DTS-ES mode on my Pioneer when playing The Haunting there is some material that definitely sounds like a discrete rear center is in operation--sounds incredible.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
This sucks. I would switch it manually but I cant get the receiver to cooperate.

So is this a problem with my movie, receiver, or dvd player?

EDIT: BTW, I have my single center surround connected to the left surround binding post. Should I hook it to the other channels? Or hook the positive to one pole on one channel then the oposite pole on the other channels binding post?

There is nothing in the setup menu about switching between 6.1 and 7.1. Ive checked through the menus. When I play the Haunting and go to the OSD it says under the DTS menu that is will only play DTS5.1 with matrixing.

Ugh.

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
Just popped my copy in. DTS-Discrete 6.1 auto detected.

Pioneer DV-525
Onkyo TX-DS797

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Here is something I found that I thought was funny; the DTS logo on the case. The "ES" portion of the logo has a black backround unlike all the other DTSES movies that have a white backround. Also on the back, where the disc "specs" is the speaker layout of a theater and it is missing a center surround and it states "6.1". No hollow speaker, nothing.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
sonically,

is there much diff. between matrix and disc. DTS?

really.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
sure,

what does it sound like, as opposed to matrix?

thanks

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Basically, you get a more active surround mix with full frequency response from the center back channel (a full 6.1 discrete remix from the audio stems is commissioned for the encoding to DTS-ES Discrete) and better channel separation between the three surround channels. The Haunting is a great demo of tremendous bass even in the back center channel.

I have an Outlaw Audio 950 pre-amp and The Haunting's DTS track shows up as DTS-ES DISC 6.1. When I pop in Jurassic Park III the DTS track shows up as DTS-ES MTRX 6.1, which is how it should be since JP III is flagged for a matrixed back channel as Universal did not do a remix for 6.1 channels on that title.

Dan

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I havent had time to watch Gladitor or Blade2, well, not the whole movies. Usually most poeple say that the difference between matrixed and discrete is just that the channel is more distinct and I guess just more realistic.

I would have to say that the rear soundfield is more controlled and stable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks